It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a mess! USA may arrest Russian world's largest sailing ship over Jewish library dispute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
english.pravda.ru...

The world's largest sailing ship, the Sedov, that started its world cruise in May, may not reach all of its destination ports. The Sedov has recently declined entering the Swedish ports of Göteborg and Malmo because the local authorities could arrest the ship. US officials said that they would arrest the ship if it called at the port of San Francisco.

The ship was supposed to call at San Francisco in November to stay there for four days. The US authorities did not guarantee that the vessel would not be arrested. US officials politely warned the administration of the Russian Fishing Agency and the command of the Sedov about the possible arrest of the vessel because of the trial in connection with the so-called Schneerson library.

All this over a disputed library in Russia which a US court ruled should be given to a US-based Jewish religious organization.

It has been expanded to impact cultural exchanges.

Currently, the unresolved issue of the Schneerson library creates many obstacles for the cultural exchange in Russia and the United States, and several other countries. Thus, the Pushkin Museum and the Hermitage refused to provide the Gauguin paintings for the largest exhibition of the artist in the National Gallery in Washington over the fear that the paintings could be arrested. It is hard to say how the story is going to end. One thing is clear: Russia is unlikely to abide by the decision of the US court, and the Americans will keep on trying to get what they want. The Sedov was unlucky to get into the middle of the intrigue.

Where and how will it end?

A real diplomatic nightmare. Let's hope it does not get out of control.

edit on 4-7-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

I see that you've posted a couple threads from that site; Are you sure that is a credible website?

I don't know, but after skipping around the site a bit, my opinion is leaning heavily towards 'Nope. Not Credible".

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by oghamxx

I see that you've posted a couple threads from that site; Are you sure that is a credible website?

I don't know, but after skipping around the site a bit, my opinion is leaning heavily towards 'Nope. Not Credible".

www.nytimes.com...

This good enough for you?

It's not specifically about the ship, but it shows the dispute over this stupid library. And would the US Govt doing something this stupid be that hard to believe?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

They do have some tabloid quality articles and ads and sometimes stretch a bit to fill the news but all in all they have appeared no worse than many others.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

reply to post by oghamxx

Can you point something out that discredits the site? I looked it over and I see nothing wrong with it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

The Pravda article says that the US may seize a ship to force the issue, the NY Times article says that the US has given assurances that any artwork loaned to the US will be returned, and is exempt from any court ruling. They're two different articles, that have the same kernel of truth.

Pravda isn't the most reliable of sources. They have had some interesting articles over the years, a lot of which have been altered somewhat to be more hyped up.
edit on 7/4/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There are no heirs of that family alive so where does this idiot of a judge get off telling Russia they have to hand over anything? This library has never been outside of Russia so it belongs to them. This handing stuff over to the Jews just because they want it needs to stop.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Found a parroted article citing the, unreliable source, pravda article. Mayhap something to it. Mayhap news is spreading.

Dispute over Jewish Texts May Hamper Russian Voyage

Just because.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Thanx. That's all I asked.

reply to post by emberscott & post by ArrowsNV

You 2 fools can share the same reply.

First, I ask you: What is this↓?

Are you sure that is a credible website?
That is what is often referred to as a 'Question'. They are actually a very common type of sentence.

Secondly, what does this↓ say?

I don't know......
That says that I do not know the answer to the question that I asked. Hmmm, I wonder if maybe that is why I asked it....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

You are clearly an inapt reader.

Again.

reply to post by oghamxx

Can you point something out that discredits the site? I looked it over and I see nothing wrong with it.

While I am sure that somehow put you on edge. Made you uneasy. All I asked was could you point something out as I had not found anything on that site. Mayhaps I missed it.

Your assistance would have been welcomed.

Instead I received this?

reply to post by emberscott & post by ArrowsNV

You 2 fools can share the same reply.

Just out of curiosity when you weigh and measure the absolute worthlessness of your cerebral activity, for example, when your neurons become spasmodic in synaptic irresponsiveness to posting replies, what is the method you use to perform the task?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Looky here↓. I can do it too.

Originally posted by emberscott

I don't know, but after skipping around the site a bit, my [color=FF7C30]opinion is leaning heavily towards 'Nope. Not Credible".

Originally posted by emberscott

Can I? Yes, I could if I wanted to, but my portion of this pointless off-topic conversation, ends now. I have nothing more to say to you.

edit on 7/4/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Syria and Iran is also becoming a mess between US and Russia relations, Israel does not look to be helping this situation either. Wonder how many other issues are going to be brought as the hate builds?

top topics

join