It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Ghost Cities Popping Up in....Africa?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Most have seen the empty ‘ghost cities’ popping up in China. Billions have been spent constructing these cities yet they are completely vacant. As if that wasn’t strange enough, now the Chinese have built a ghost city in Nova Cidade de Kilamba, in Africa.

Now, state-owned China International Trust and Investment Corporation (CITIC) has built a town in Angola. And it's fairly empty.

Just outside Angola's capital city of Luanda is Nova Cidade de Kilamba a residential development of 750 eight-story apartment buildings, a dozen schools, and more than 100 retail units, reports the BBC's Louise Redvers.

The $3.5 billion development covers 12,355 acres and was built to house about 500,000 people, and this is one of "several satellite cities being constructed by Chinese firms around Angola," writes Redvers.
link

Check out these eerie pictures:

Nobody really knows why they are doing this. Some have speculated it’s a means of preserving wealth but wouldn’t simple real-estate investments suffice?

Business Insider speculated that the Chinese need to put their money somewhere, so developers have decided to build, as a place to store the wealth, even if the Chinese building these cities do not intend to live in them and there is no prospect they can find renters.

Others have said they are being built so lower level Chinese government officials can avoid scrutiny from the higher-ups. If this were the case, how does that explain building in Africa?

ScallyWagAndVagabond.com quoted Patrick Chovanec, a business teacher at Tsinghua University in Beijing, who explained, “Who wants to be the mayor who reports that he didn’t get 8 percent GDP growth this year? Nobody wants to come forward with that. So the incentives in the system are to build. And if that’s the easiest way to achieve growth, then you build.”
link

What’s really going on here?

edit on 4-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Buggered if I know. It's a waste of money if noone is buying or renting. They will crumble without maintenance...

Maybe China plans huge invasion of Africa? Who knows...

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Maybe they know something we dont know.

Pole shift

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
well africa is full of resources including oil so perhaps its a sneaky trick to claim ownership as you can't really argue with who build what first when its a mega city complex

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Buggered if I know. It's a waste of money if noone is buying or renting. They will crumble without maintenance...

That’s what doesn’t make sense to me. If you wanted to shelter money, why not just buy land (which requires no upkeep). Maintaining a city would costs millions per year.

Maybe China plans huge invasion of Africa? Who knows...

Maybe…

As if their own ghost cities weren’t strange enough……this is REALLY strange!!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Pole shift

I’m not discounting your theory but what purpose would these cities serve if there was a pole shift?

Why would these be any different (or fare any better) than existing cities?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
When they start building them here, I think then we got a concern..

I believe the idea of a way to store wealth for now. Until they start building them in America
then something weird is up...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by zroth

Pole shift

I’m not discounting your theory but what purpose would these cities serve if there was a pole shift?

Why would these be any different (or fare any better) than existing cities?

maybe they believe that a pole shift would result in china becoming inhabitable?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mrballistic

When they start building them here, I think then we got a concern..

I’m not ‘concerned’ or fearful but I’m definitely bewildered!

I believe the idea of a way to store wealth for now. Until they start building them in America then something weird is up...

There sure are better ways to preserve wealth. This seems like a bottomless money pit. I can’t help but speculate on what nefarious purpose these cities are intended to serve. When has any nation in the history of the world done something like this; I can’t find another example.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I cant believe they are building these cities simply for the sake of spending money. It's complete and utter BS.

The only people that will be making money are those supplying the materials and the labourers.

The only time those buildings will become assets is when they are occupied.

In in the building trade and honestly I dont even want to think about the maintenance costs of a single block, let alone an entire city...

From a logical perspective it just doesnt make sense.

Now on the other hand, if one were to know of a future comming even that will cost the displacement of millions of people and wanted to build cheap and reliable cities for the lowest price who would you get? The Chinese of course.

Trust the Chinese to deliver.

On the other other hand, a smart investment move would be to buy a small piece of land close to one of these cities. Location, location, location...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
double post
edit on 4-7-2012 by Monkeygod333 because: (no reason given)

link   
When you start to have more houses than there is people on Earth to fill them you have to start to ask questions like just where do they think the people for ther new cities is going to come from.

"District 9",,,,,,,,just saying it does not sound as crazy as it once did.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

maybe they believe that a pole shift would result in china becoming inhabitable?

Then why did they spend billions on ‘ghost cities’ in China?

They even have giant structures that can be seen from outer space.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My only thought would be planning for the future development in the area. As China grows it will look to develop areas that have future potential resources.

This could be a really long term investment in having the infrastructure in place to quickly develop a presence in resource rich areas when future demands require it.

Orrr future arenas for some kind of bloodsport

edit: We should look into the potential resources available in the surrounding areas, or if anything in the geographical location could yield some future value...

edit on 4-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
China have been buying up African land for a long time. Britain used to when they colonized over there for the purpose of mines. The mines dried up, Britain moved out and now China see it as a great asset as it is full of natural resources that have not been procured. I saw a documentary on it a while back, I forget what it was called though.

The claims were something along the line of China are going over to Africa, and in return for them building things like these cities, they are employing Africans in poorer regions.

As another poster said, it's a perfect way to claim the land for themselves.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What about a secret HAARP type construction? We see the buildings, but do we know what is in them?

2nd

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Those are crazy, I've sene pictures of other citites they've created in China....still baffles me as to the purpose of such a large project. These "cities" are nicer than 80% of the places found around the world!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Unusual that each square is built different so that they look like writing.

Can someone print and do dot to dot and see if it is Asian writing chars. of some kind.

Could it be that places are being built in known safe spots on the planet for something they know is coming.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Interesting that the apartment blocks are in groups of different colours, as if they were built for a particular and definate purpose. Looks quite regimental.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

China have been buying up African land for a long time. Britain used to when they colonized over there for the purpose of mines. The mines dried up, Britain moved out and now China see it as a great asset as it is full of natural resources that have not been procured. I saw a documentary on it a while back, I forget what it was called though.

The claims were something along the line of China are going over to Africa, and in return for them building things like these cities, they are employing Africans in poorer regions.

As another poster said, it's a perfect way to claim the land for themselves.

Ahhh…well that makes sense.

Although aside from China, I’ve never seen anyone build an entire city at a single time. From a development standpoint, typically you’d have people on lease ready to move in before you even break ground. The buildings in China have been there for years and still no residents or tenants. That's billions spent in advance with no money coming in....just seems odd. Maybe they just have money to burn.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join