It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Higgs-Boson discovery pave the way for long distance space travel?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Ok I'm not going to go into the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle as I am sure it has already been discussed but I will provide a link to a news article none the less for those that have been living under a rock for the past 24 hours.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

But what I think this news does is open up the possibilities of long distance space travel, it still needs a lot of work but it might just make it posssible in the distant future if man kind survives that long.

Basically the Higgs-Boson particle is the discovery they needed to explain why everything doesn't travel at the speed of light. As the speed of light is the fastest known speed that anything can travel in the Universe then we basically need to be able to meet this speed for long periods of time to make it even remotely possible to travel to distant solar systems and maybe even galaxies. Obviously to do this with traditional combustion type engines is impossible as the ammount of energy required to get to that speed would render it impossible.

However now we have discovered the Higgs-Boson particle, maybe we can learn to manipulate this particle as to obtain the speed of light without much energy. Lets look at it this way, the Higgs-Boson is the only thing in the way of us shooting around the Universe at the speed of light. The only trick is learning how to do this, could it be done on a similar level to magnetism, where a positivly charged magnet will thrust away another positivly charged weaker magnet in its way. Could we find a way to do this with the Higgs-Boson? If we could find a way to clear the Higgs-Boson particles out of our way, then there is nothing stopping us hitting the speed of light and staying at that speed for relativly little energy consumption, jnust the initial drive and the instrument that paves the way with the removal of the particles.

Am I getting ahead of myself, does it make any sense to people?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am curious to find out what happens to living things that reach the speed of light or near it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Numbers33four

Probably the same thing that was supposed to happen if a human exceeded the speed of 15 MPH when they were talking about laying tracks for the new rail road.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The way i understand it, the a Higgs Boson is like a particle of water in the ocean.

The higgs boson, is just a small part of the Higgs field, which gives mass to everything, so i highly doubt, you can push it out the way.

I also dont believe there can be positive or negative type Higgs Boson's as its all part of a field.

What could be done however, i think, is to create a field around a craft, which interacts with the Higgs field, and renders the field mass less.

So a craft could be rendered masses in a field, and be propelled at the speed of light.

I may be completely wrong, but that is how i understand it to work.

Namaste

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines

Probably the same thing that was supposed to happen if a human exceeded the speed of 15 MPH when they were talking about laying tracks for the new rail road.

when an object travels at 15 MPH its length does not approach nil and its mass does not approach infinity. Matter does not convert to energy at 15 MPH either. Try again.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four

when an object travels at 15 MPH its length does not approach nil and its mass does not approach infinity. Matter does not convert to energy at 15 MPH either. Try again.

I believe that was a joke. It was presumed that travelling at any unprecedented speeds would result in the death of its human occupants.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
possibly...but only for a few.

these discoveries are being made to place a gulf so wide between world systems that upward social mobility will become impossible for the countries that don't submit to the superiority of the people that possess knowledge of the new discoveries.

sure...some will engage in long distance space travel, while others will complain about not being able to move at all.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

I believe that was a joke. It was presumed that travelling at any unprecedented speeds would result in the death of its human occupants.

But, I am not certain that what would happen when humans travel at the speed of light would be death. Maybe there is something else. Something profound.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

But, I am not certain that what would happen when humans travel at the speed of light would be death. Maybe there is something else. Something profound.

By your signature you appear to be a religious individual, are you implying that something spiritual is awaiting us?

I find it difficult to believe that if we approach the speed of light, some kind of angelic transformation will occur..

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
speed of light travel for something larger than a photon ?

how does a body which is basically a bag of water survive the g-forces ?

never gonna happen

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
but if you are traveling at the speed of light and observe the world while at this condition...you are literally existing in a condition that is before all other things.

a cognitive transformation should be the least of your expections.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We can build a giant robot instead. forums.bleachexile.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Two issues with your statement.

1. People are not angels.

2. Reality has nothing to do with belief.

You assume too much. And no one will know what happens until it happens. There are a hell of a lot of coincidences don't you think? The level of precision is only explainable at this point in time by the theory that there are infinite universes. Looks like everyone has faith of one manner or another.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
So a craft could be rendered masses in a field, and be propelled at the speed of light.

If the craft was 'massless' it would instantly be travelling at the speed of light. Also, time would stop for the occupants. Navigation, therefore, would be tricky.

(and don't say "you could program a computer to navigate" - time would stop for the computer too)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Interesting idea actually. Inertia is a property of matter directly related to mass. Inertia is what is responsible for the "g-forces" associated with acceleration. If the Higgs field could be manipulated in such a way as to eliminate inertia it opens up the possibility of instantaneous changes in velocity.

(See Heinlein's "Libby Drive")

edit on 7/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Originally posted by WiseThinker

If the craft was 'massless' it would instantly be travelling at the speed of light. Also, time would stop for the occupants. Navigation, therefore, would be tricky.

(and don't say "you could program a computer to navigate" - time would stop for the computer too)

It seems that in making everything inside the field massless that you are also converting everything into a form which could not be reversed.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Well to be honest, i only just thought up this idea earlier today. However im sure, that if i have a craft, with a power source strong enough to make a Higgs field around it, then im sure, i can also get some temporal shielding

But on a more serious note, i think the only way we can achieve FTL (or close to) is if we discover tachyon's and learn to mimic their supposed ability to warp a bobble of time space around it, and ride it like a wave (it would compress space in front of it, and expand it behind, therefore it would travel great distances in a short amount of time and without going faster than light.... relatively)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

One thing to keep in mind is that the Higgs Boson does the opposite of what you are suggesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

what about changes in direction ? what about when you come out of hyper drive in an asteroid belt ?

I'll confess to knowing very little about the higgs boson particle (who does really) I just don't think we will get human bodies to light speed safely

even the energy required to move something so much larger than a photon. the human body must be a trillion times larger if not more

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Yes, you certainly wouldn't want the craft and its occupants to become massless!

The correct hypothesis would be, not to affect the craft itself, but to create a "mass-repellent" field around the craft that could slice through the Higgs Field at the speed of light. That way, objects with mass [the craft, the humans] could "hitch a ride" at light speed inside a massless bubble.

Would work in sci-fi, not sure about reality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join