It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Needs To Bury The Electrical Grid ~ Civilization On The Razors Edge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

I know it would be very expensive. But maybe this, if they just buried the majority of the feeds and left the HV transmissions above it would cut back exponentially on repair time. If they didn't have to mess with every single street with multiple breaks and only transmission and stations it would be so much better.

I would vote that ALL new construction be fitted with subterranean feeds and retrofit all the others over time. There is no quick fix but in 20 years the dilapidated system will be that much older and repaired multiple times.

As far as the trees, we would lose half the trees in the country because if it's within 100 ft. or so the tree would have to go. That would be detrimental.

edit on 4-7-2012 by timewalker because: Independence Day beers

edit on 4-7-2012 by timewalker because: beer

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

We bury gas and water and cable tv lines in Phoenix. What makes electricity any different?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I don't exactly know the geology of Phoenix except a bunch of sand and rock, but one poster said it would not be possible to bury anything in Phoenix.

Maybe you could explain better.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would like to add that when we had the long term outage we were spending 30-40 dollars a day in gasoline to keep the generator running to keep $50 dollars worth of cold food and $1 worth of ice.

It was not worth it and we cut it off after a couple of days and only used it for news updates on the tube.

Stock up on food and get a propane grill or firewood, ordinances permitting.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

I know that we are all aware of this issue and I know that the problem is due to financial constraints. But it's never our problem until our lights are the ones that go out.

Seems like every time the wind blows were in the dark.

I live in Hurricane alley and have seen civilization almost break within a week. When there is no food for the children or gasoline to go get food it's a huge problem.

Most American families only keep enough food stocked for three days, )

what self indulgent rubbish.

just because you don't have electricity.

i wish americans would stop whining at every little discomfort.

what is your problem?

you are not injured are you or dead?

you are alive are you not?

i am sure you can survive a few days without watching x factor or fox news on the gogle box and without your pathetic facebook messages.

and you'r whining about food is a joke.you are all over weight and built like tanks.

probably do you some good to lose 200 pounds of flab and do some waking for a change.

whiny decadent americans.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
too late

in CT after the two major outages last year we were all screaming about this

but it's too late

the cost is too high

tree trimming is the only option that's a reasonable cost, but of course you have to keep trimming

forever

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

I don't think you get the point. Sounds like you are the whiny one.

Yeah a bunch of tanks with an armory. If it ever comes to a head it will make Hamburger Hill look like a childs game.

It's not about the emails or crapola like that, its about the basic survival necessities. Things that people would kill for.

Funny coming from someone that just posted ON THEIR COMPUTER!

Face the facts. The American populace lives in an urban environment. Fending for their selves is not an option. One week and TSHTF. Maybe you live in the backwoods or rocks and can do that but some of the world is not in that situation.

edit on 4-7-2012 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

food and water?

200 POUNDS OF LARD AROUND YOUR WAIST.

i just the news the other days and OMG i saw these americans 3 times as wide as me waddling like ducks and the lard around their waist wobbling.
#

you don't need power for water.it comes out of a tap.

put a bucket out and collect rainwater and stop flushing the toilet and having 4 showers day.

unless you want to die clean.

many people are worse of than you.

your guns don't impress me.

any 1/2 wit can pull a trigger.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme
reply to post by timewalker

food and water?

200 POUNDS OF LARD AROUND YOUR WAIST.

i just the news the other days and OMG i saw these americans 3 times as wide as me waddling like ducks and the lard around their waist wobbling.
#

put a bucket out and collect rainwater and stop flushing the toilet and having 4 showers day.

And how do you think the pumps work?

I see them three times as wide as me too, were not all tub-o-lards.

Some states are in the worst drought in 100 years.

I could care less.

Maybe, you don't know how hungry I am now, do you?

Who's trying to impress? The 1/2 wits are the ones to worry about.

Therefore I am worried about you.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You are absolutely correct, TW. While we are all running around screaming over vaginas and Obamacare, our asses are hanging out in the wind. We are vulnerable on every front: our food supply, our power supply, our means of distribution, you name it. The only way out is for everyone to strive for a greater degree of self-sufficiency, which would lead organically to a more resilient society.

Burying the grid is an onerous and costly process. A better alternative would be to decentralize entirely. And the easiest way to do that is to enable every homeowner to produce a large percentage of their own power.

Incentivize the installation of vertical wind turbines. They're relatively cheap, very quiet and super efficient.

thegoodhuman.com...

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join