It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Mayor Bans Large Sodas But Encourages Hot Dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who wants to limit restaurant sales of sugared drinks to 16-ounce cups as part of his anti-obesity campaign, welcomed competitors in Nathan’s Famous Inc.’s (NATH) Fourth of July hotdog-eating contest to a City Hall weigh-in.

www.bloomberg.com...

One can say, sure this is just a yearly event, but he is promoting the restaurant indirectly which doesn't serve your 4 course healthy meal.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All this means is people are going to buy more cups, get more refills or just by bottles. It might spread some cash around town because of people buying multiple cups to get their addicted desire. 2 of these cups would = to 32oz.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Crazy. How much actual soda is in a 32oz cup that is first filled with ice? NOT a lot. At all.

How much actual soda is in a 16oz soda that is first filled with ice? Even less.

How much is ice? Made freely (except for electricity used to freeze).

How much is the cost--per-ounce--of a 16oz compared to a 32oz. More.

Who gets screwed: the consumer.

'Nough said.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

You know, overall the small time places generate more tax revenue. I have done the books for one of the top 10 restaurants in the nation, and I have done the books for other restaurants (from the extreme 5 star down to running the numbers for the breakfast bar at your local Holiday Inn Express). Those big restaurants do not make the money you think they do, unless you are a server (in which case you can easily make 100k a year in tips). The real profits margins are in the carb type foods. Pizza especially. You can make pure profits from pizza, especially back in 1989 when the price of a pie was the same as today.

A good 4 star restaurant can hope to make, at best, 10% gross profit margin. They generate a ton of revenue, but a lot of it is a food item which remains untaxed. The real winners are the wait staff.
edit on 4-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Even though this has been talked about a handful of times here I didn't really think about other problems that could stem from this band. Most importantly the amount of trash that is going to be made from having to keep buying more and more 16oz drinks. Oh, and the mayor is totally down to legalize marijuana.

So, NY....don't get caught with large drinks....or put it into a nice bong to conceal it's true identity.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm going to preface my comments by stating that I think the ban on sodas larger than 16oz is completely ridiculous.

A hot dog is ENTIRELY more healthy for you than a soda. People in this country seem to have a hard time grasping that soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body. I've heard medical professionals profess that smoking a cigarette is less harmful to your health than drinking a soda.

Hot dogs aren't health food, but at least they qualify as food. They may be high in saturated fats and sometimes nitrates, but they also constitute a valid source of protein. Hot dogs are a great way to get b-vitamins. When you ingest a hot dog, it provides your body with long term stored energy that burns fat when you become active.

Soda contributes absolutely nothing to your body. Regular sodas are loaded with sugar which can contribute to myriad health problems, and quickly converts to fat once entering the body. Diet sodas are loaded with chemicals, most of which have been proven to cause adverse health effects in lab studies.

When sodas became popular in the 1950s, the average serving size was 7oz. Nowadays people are drinking 16, 24 and 42 oz sodas like they are water or juice. It's absolutely the most damaging product to human health available as "food" in this country.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The banning of sodas is because the sugar in them makes people fat. On the other hand hotdogs have fat protein and salt. Little sugar.

Eating hotdogs will not make a person fat.

Drinking sugar packed soft-drinks will make you fat.

Many people are still ignorant about this though it is only because ignorance is taught in public schools and advertisements so the population does not know any better.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfHart

The myth that dietary fat makes you obese is so pervasive that it is almost impossible to convince people otherwise. I think it was Susan Powter who went around screaming about dietary fat in her "Stop The Insanity" moneygrab.

My doctor one time told me, "Yeah, my cholsterol is high. Its because i eat so much rice." It is the first time I have heard a physician make the connection between carbohydrates and blood cholesterol. If you have ever eaten foie gras you are eating fat created in the liver of a goose/duck caused by engorging it with carbohydrates. Your body turns carbohydrates into fat for the body to use.

It is why beer drinkers tend to have fatty liver. Obese people generally have the same thing. it is eating carbohydrates that causes it.

edit on 4-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join