It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany And Russia Both Invaded Poland,But France And England Only Declared War Against Germany,Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Germany and Russia both invaded Poland in 1939 and divided that country between them and they both committed numerous barbaric atrocities against innumerable polish soldiers and civilians and so what i would really like to know and have never read any satisfactory answers about,is why France and England declared war against Germany and not against Russia?

Both Germany and Russia were aggressors,not just Germany...

While knowing that Germany took over and occupied the Rhineland in 1936 and both Austria and Czechoslovakia in 1938...

Realize that Russia went to war against Finland in 1939-40 and took over and occupied Lithuania, Estonia,Latvia and parts of Romania as well,all in 1940...

So from Germanys perspective,it was the Russians who were the real aggressors moving armies closer and closer towards its borders...

But certain versions of history are written and taught by the victors of war,not the losers and all too often, history warps and twists the truth and sometimes,history lies...

Considering the fact that America,France and England were soon to become allies with Stalins Russia and not Hitlers Germany,after they both invaded Poland,it seems more than obvious to me that the allies declaring war Against Germany and not Russia,was a pre-arranged decesion and a pre-arranged plan of their fast rising new world order...

Invasion Of Poland > en.wikipedia.org...

Soviet Invasion Of Poland > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-7-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Cos we didn't like Hitler to begin with, his aggressive politics and aggressive manner with using his military was over the top, we also gave him numerous written and verbal warning that if he continued to take land that was his we would attack, and Poland was the last straw. Russia simply seamed to aid Hitler at that time rather than hate Poland. Hitler and Stalin where dictators they had something in common.

The reason we did not care about Russia too much was because it was a very poor country, Germany was the one that had all the tech, scientists, research labs and military hardware. And thanks to the Rothchilds the MONEY!

That is why Russia, even though a poor country after the war still had an amazing space program, because they nicked all the Nazi scientists before the Americans could get to them. TBH it was a lot of Nazi scientists and engineers that made a lot of Russian technology after the war.
edit on 4-7-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I think they had set up a pact on acts of aggression only from Germany..

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I think they had set up a pact on acts of aggression only from Germany..

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I don't believe they had many options to deal with the powerhouses that were Nazi Germany and soviet Russia. France was on the defense waiting for a possible German attack and the Spanish was in a major civil war. I think the UK was just trying to rally its forces and allies. You must remember that the U.S. was not involved officially and all the old allies like the Ottoman empire was no longer a viable ally or a threat to anyone. I think they were just hoping that both Germany and Russia would start a war with each other and not involve the west. The UK was in no position to fight Germany alone as well as their interests in the Pacific. Poland has always been an interest to Germany and Russia going back to the Prussians. luckily, Hitler learned nothing from Napoleon and started a two front war which resulted in his demise.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Hilter and Stalin agreed, through Ribentropp/Molotov,,that Germany would allow Russia too invade Poland,
as long as Germany controlled the oil fields.
At a railcar meeting between Hitler and a Diplomat, from that area,forget his name,,
there was accidently recorded , Hilter and the Diplomat discussing,,Russian/Poland situation.
Hitler believed that Stalin,,,betrayed the Negotiation/Deal,, and was going for the oil fields himself.
So Germany Declared War on Russia.
the rest is History,,
"Germany And Russia Both Invaded Poland,But England And France Only Declared War Against Germany,Why?",,because the War had moved on.
i always wondered that myself.
p.s that train car meeting is the only recording of Hitler, talking ,,normal.

edit on 4-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Why would France and Britain start a war with Russia when Germany had manpower and was far more technologically advanced militarily? I think it was simply that Russia was the lesser threat and had the potential to be an ally once Germany showed its aggression(which happened).

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
From Wiki answers :

If both Germany and Russia invaded Poland in 1939 why did Britain not declare war on Russia as well as Germany?

In short, since the defensive pact between Britain, France and Poland said nothing about the Soviet Union, the British and French refused to declare war against them. Read below for more context.

Prior to the German invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939, Poland, Britain and France made a defensive pact against the Germans, stating that if one of them was attacked, the other two would declare war against Germany. It is often stated that Britain and France responded to Germany's annexation of Czechoslovakia in March 1939 (a violation of the Munich agreement) by "guaranteeing the integrity of the Polish state". This is an incomplete explanation, as the agreement was for all three states to declare war against Germany (and it only pertained to Germany) if one of those three were attacked by Germany.

Meanwhile, there was a political battle going on between Britain/France and Germany to get Soviet support in an eventual military conflict. Germany won this battle with a secret non-aggression pact that would partition Poland between the two states when they invaded it. This is what led to the German invasion of, and declaration of war on, Poland on September 1st. On September 3rd, the British and French, stunned by the boldness of Hitler (they had not expected him to actually attack), declared war on Germany, as per the agreement they had made with Poland. However, since the agreement did not specify military action, neither Britain nor France engaged Germany in any fighting until Germany invaded France the following year. This has been dubbed the "phony war", because of a lack of fighting by the British and French, but of course the war was ongoing in Poland, even after the capitulation of the Polish state and the exile of the Polish government to the British isles on September 28th, 1939.

On September 17th, 1939 Poland was invaded on its eastern border by the Soviet Union. This attack, and the expectation of the attack itself, helped to split Polish defenses, and sped up the eventual defeat of the Polish military forces 11 days later. Since the defensive pact between Britain, France and Poland said nothing about the Soviet Union, the British and French refused to declare war against them, in keeping with their very technical and legalistic interpretation of the pact. Their hope was that Germany would stop with Poland, and not attack them next.

One of the reasons cited for such a relatively easy defeat of Poland is that the Germans did not have to worry about the French troops on its Western border. German scouts were given the order to inform HQ if they saw so much as a single French soldier near the border, the response to which would have been a split of German forces to defend its western front while attacking Poland in the east. The scouts saw no one (possibly due to a combination of serendipity and an actual scarcity of French scouts near the border), so that virtually the entirety of Germany's forces were put into the attack on Poland, leaving Germany defenseless against a full western invasion from a superior number (at the time) of French forces for weeks. The lack of support from the Western "allies" and second frontal attack by the Soviets was too much for the Polish military, as was the single-front attack too much for France several months later. Only once Germany brought the Soviet Union and the United States (via their ally Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor) into the war against itself did it get defeated by a two-front war.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...

edit on 4-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

I think it was simply that Russia was the lesser threat,only because Stalin was killing only his own people,,
which was fine,,
but invading Poland,,made Russia, the more dangerous,,which history proves, and Hitler correct.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
the move by the soviets was condemned internationally leading to expulsion from the league of nations.
this occured on 17th september 1939. britain declared war 11:00am 3rd september 1939 when neville chamberlain waited 2 hours after the deadline for germany to withdraw.

i suspect that already declaring war on germany was enough and to complicate the matter by including russia some 2 weeks later would have achieved nothing at all. i also suspect russia countered germany's plans should they have of ignored the non-aggression pact and head for the eastern russian front.

f.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
it seems that everyone was of the opinion that the Russian invasion of Poland prevented Germany from taking the whole country and this was acceptable.

that seems to be the most obvious reason why.

i used to play this war game and i would take over a weak country to prevent a stronger country from setting up troops on my core borders.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I thought Germany only wanted its land back......After it was taken in the treaty of Versailles and left its German inhabitants vulnerable. ?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Stalin outmaneuvered Hitler. Stalin did not invade Poland until after Germany had defeated the Polish military. In the meantime, the UK and France had declared war on Germany. Stalin could then occupy the part of Poland the Germans had agreed to leave to Stalin, and it appeared the Soviets were just establishing a defensive front against Germany.
When the Soviets invaded Finland, the UK almost declared war against the Soviets. It was a close call as to whether the Soviets or Germans were regarded as the worst threat to peace. Because of this perceived Soviet threat, the British and French refused to include the Soviets in a defensive pact to protect Poland.
Stalin intended to embroil Germany in a two front war, and he was successful.
Hitler was inept in almost every way except in propaganda.
The rail car meeting was in Finland. Hitler is recorded telling a German general he never would have invaded the Soviet Union if he knew they had so many tanks. Sounds like the Germans had very poor intelligence gathering capability. Almost as bad as Goering assuring Hitler it was possible to airlift adequate supplies to the German army at Stalingrad, when in reality, the Germans had no where near the number of aircraft necessary to do so. It appears the German political leadership were not even capable of simple arithmetic.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
because while you were time traverlling in your dreams you saw a conspiracy where tptb are lying to us, and the truth is something you have no evidence of or even a decent argument for ?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It took me about 40 years to realize history is a big lie. There are so many lies that I am not even sure that the country of Poland exists. There are so many secret accords that one could never find motive for anything in history.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
We were obligated by treaty to intervene with the German invasion of Poland although we weren't really ready.

Since there was no treaty obligation to declare war on Russia and doing so would be nationally suicidal we didn't do it.

If Hitler had concentrated on France/UK alone and not double crossed Stalin we would probably be speaking German.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

motive for anything in history.

look up Polish Oil Fields,, at that time.war.oil.motive.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Do you know anything about the political climate in WW2? the Soviet Union was an ally of the United States and the United Kingdom, and while Churchill and Roosevelt didn't trust Stalin, he was, the single best hpe the Allies had for making it a two front war. There is a lot written that Stalin knew his treaty with Hitler was a farce and that Hitler would eventually go after the Caucus Oil Fields, as Germany needed them to continue to wage war (an objective Hitler never achieved)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
Germany and Russia both invaded Poland in 1939 and divided that country between them and they both committed numerous barbaric atrocities against innumerable polish soldiers and civilians and so what i would really like to know and have never read any satisfactory answers about,is why France and England declared war against Germany and not against Russia?

Both Germany and Russia were aggressors,not just Germany...

While knowing that Germany took over and occupied the Rhineland in 1936 and both Austria and Czechoslovakia in 1938...

Realize that Russia went to war against Finland in 1939-40 and took over and occupied Lithuania, Estonia,Latvia and parts of Romania as well,all in 1940...

So from Germanys perspective,it was the Russians who were the real aggressors moving armies closer and closer towards its borders...

But certain versions of history are written and taught by the victors of war,not the losers and all too often, history warps and twists the truth and sometimes,history lies...

Considering the fact that America,France and England were soon to become allies with Stalins Russia and not Hitlers Germany,after they both invaded Poland,it seems more than obvious to me that the allies declaring war Against Germany and not Russia,was a pre-arranged decesion and a pre-arranged plan of their fast rising new world order...

Invasion Of Poland > en.wikipedia.org...

Soviet Invasion Of Poland > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-7-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Hitler invaded Poland first. Stalin got in on the act two weeks later and took the Eastern part of the country, which was ethnically very mixed, with Poles, Belorussians, Lithuanians and so on. It was a mess. Can I also point out that Britain and France came very close to sending help to the Finns during the Winter War - which might have involved the Soviet Union to declare war on them. Can I stress the fact that the whole thing was a mess?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

I understand how we didnt like hitler,but then why did we become allies with stalin,who was even worse than hitler in many ways?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join