It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran lawmakers prepare to close Hormuz Strait

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Hey, Corruption Exposed,

What did that map look like pre-9/11, just curious...

Thanks,

NAM

Regrettably I'm unsure of what the map would have looked like before 911. I do recall having a more in depth world map that covers the whole world on the same thread I posted this map from.

My guess is that there has been an ever expanding US presense globally since WW2. Either way, I don't blame Iran for feeling like they have been cornered and wanting to close down the strait.

Here is the map, hopefully it helps answer some of your questions.

nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com...

It's somewhat interactive and lets you zoom in on certain areas so have fun

If you scroll all the way down there are some statistics and charts as well.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by Romekje
They have all the right in the world to do this to be honest.

And it gives the western TPTB a good excuse to raise the gas prices instead of just opening the massive reserves they have.

Ow wait... they'll need those oil reserves for the coming war ofcourse

edit on 4/7/12 by Romekje because: typo

A significant rise in gas prices at this time would seriously threaten Obama's chances at re-election. Just a thought I figured I'd throw into the mix.

Yes it would indeed, and at the same time having a war during elections greatly increases his chances of re-election.

There will be war before the elections.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

anyone remember that map that was actually on the news during/after the Iraq invasion, it was a map showing the US plans of where the forces were heading or maybe already there. I dont think they eralized it then but there were arrows showing movement and the outcome was a completely surrounded Iran.

things are going as planned it would seem,
I love how the UN works do as i say not as I do we can have nukes close off borders to innocent people kill inocent people in international water for trying to provide help but that's A OK,

I wish ALL you people who all pay taxes and vote to promote this hostility around the world are happy with your lifes work.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

They have all the right in the world to do this to be honest.

And it gives the western TPTB a good excuse to raise the gas prices instead of just opening the massive reserves they have.

Ow wait... they'll need those oil reserves for the coming war ofcourse

edit on 4/7/12 by Romekje because: typo

A significant rise in gas prices at this time would seriously threaten Obama's chances at re-election. Just a thought I figured I'd throw into the mix.

Yes it would indeed, and at the same time having a war during elections greatly increases his chances of re-election.

There will be war before the elections.

re-election or NO election same outcome our dictator in chief will still be doing not a damn thing to help his people.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Romney has already said that he wants to attack Iran.

lose /lose if you ask me

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

anyone remember that map that was actually on the news during/after the Iraq invasion, it was a map showing the US plans of where the forces were heading or maybe already there. I dont think they eralized it then but there were arrows showing movement and the outcome was a completely surrounded Iran.

Sorry for being repetitive, but just in case you missed my previous post...Is this the map?

nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com...

If that's not the one perhaps you meant some of the PNAC maps:

www.newamericancentury.org...

They are not very shy when it comes to bragging about their next move

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

at it's narrowest the strait is 21 nautical miles across. seems to me that the could still get in and out with 10.5 Nmls to maneuver. It all depends on what's under the surface? ships need depth as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The us isnt using military force to enforce the embargo. Iran can still do buisness with whom will take them without having to fear to be intercepted on the open sea.

I see people taking sides here, what about the Iranian people? Are they free under the current administration? Do they have a disfunctional democraty like many western countries? Or are they saddled with an even more oppressive regime?
edit on 4-7-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

no but those maps are what reminded me.

the map I am thinking of has Gen patraeus? standing next to an easel holding a large map and it had red arrows showing movement into Iraq and around Iran maybe that's why I cant find it on an image search. I think it was just after we got comfortable in Iraq and were setting up bases walls and defense.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

I dont hear or see any Iranians protesting about their leaders and you know what its not my business nor the business of my country.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

reply to post by Submarines

They have all the right in the world to close their territorial waters.

Its not territorial waters. See post 3 above.

UNCLOS
edit on 4-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

The US won't even sign the Law of the Sea treaty.. yet you and other use it as an excuse to keep the SOH open?

en.wikipedia.org...

In the United States there has been vigorous debate over the ratification of the treaty, with criticism coming mainly from political conservatives who consider involvement in some international organizations and treaties as detrimental to U.S. national interests. A group of Republican senators, led by Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, has blocked American ratification of the Convention, claiming that it would impinge on U.S. sovereignty.

WTF? Oh, the US refuses to sign the treaty because of what?

"impinge on US sovereignty"

Yet, so called patriots use it to attack another nations sovereignty...
pathetic!
edit on 4-7-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: sp

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by Cassius666

I dont hear or see any Iranians protesting about their leaders and you know what its not my business nor the business of my country.

Yeah you dont hear them protesting anymore. I wonder why

Originally posted by roguetechie
reply to post by DukeEligos

You are aware that the US actually gets very little of it's oil from the middle east right? According to NPR the US sources less than 1/8 of it's oil from the middle east whereas the European Union sources nearly ALL of their oil from said area.

www.npr.org...

Pot meet Kettle....

Anyway. What really vexes me is the fact that we seem to be doing Euro dirty work for them as usual while the Euro governments and people sneer and jeer at the sacrifices of blood and treasure we make to secure THEIR oil supply.

America the great altruist? Have you forgotten, that all oil must be traded in Dollars and what it means for the dollar? If 1/3rd of the oil does not make it to the oil market, that is 1/3rd less in foreign currency traded for the dollar, to narrow the trade gap.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Submarines

reply to post by Submarines

They have all the right in the world to close their territorial waters.

To bad ignorance isn't painful. Look at a map before you make your statements.

Iran's territorial waters does NOT extend across the straits., therefore they do NOT have the right.:

reply to post by Romekje

Territorial water extends out anywhere from 3 to 12 nm. The straights are divided into 3 sections - the territorial waters of Iran and the UAE and the third is a 6 mile wide transit passage which is international waterways covered by UNCLOS.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Too bad your leaving out one major point!

That even though Iran has signed the law of the Sea Treaty it has not yet been ratified by the Iranian Parliament therefore the treaty is NOT in effect!

Law of Sea Treaty is not even a factor here!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If this bill passes through, then this will definitely raise tensions even higher in the region. It could also possibly give the U.S. and Israel reason to strike down on Iran, or even be used as a false flag operation (U.S. attacks Iranian ships, Iran strikes back hard, U.S. says Iran started it etc etc...). Hopefully another war in that region of the world doesn't break out, the global economy cannot afford it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Next comes the false flag sinking of a American carrier uss enterprise and or an attack at the olypmics. They are making this game so predictable.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Well the plans are to fill the straight with mines if push comes to shove.

It's one of the reasons the US pre positioned minesweepers in the strait to begin with.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As you can see, ships going in and out of the straights don't ever need to enter Iranian waters if they stay far enough south.

I've traveled through these straights about 30 times in 8 years on 4 different naval ships and the only time we ever got hailed was by the Oman coastal monitoring station.

If Iran was to shoot at a ship not in their waters, no one would side with them, nope not even Russia or China.

It's all a show to raise oil prices again, me thinks.

Sirric

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Ships moving through the Strait follow a Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS), which separates inbound from outbound traffic to reduce the risk of collision. The traffic lane is six miles (10 km) wide, including two two-mile (3 km)-wide traffic lanes, one inbound and one outbound, separated by a two-mile (3 km) wide separation median.

To traverse the Strait, ships pass through the territorial waters of Iran and Oman under the transit passage provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. Although not all countries have ratified the convention, most countries, including the U.S., accept these customary navigation rules as codified in the Convention.

Oman has a radar site Link Quality Indicator (LQI) to monitor the TSS in the strait of Hormuz. This site is on a small island on the peak of Musandam Peninsula.

edit on 7/4/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Ships moving through the Strait follow a Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS), which separates inbound from outbound traffic to reduce the risk of collision. The traffic lane is six miles (10 km) wide, including two two-mile (3 km)-wide traffic lanes, one inbound and one outbound, separated by a two-mile (3 km) wide separation median.

To traverse the Strait, ships pass through the territorial waters of Iran and Oman under the transit passage provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. Although not all countries have ratified the convention, most countries, including the U.S., accept these customary navigation rules as codified in the Convention.

Oman has a radar site Link Quality Indicator (LQI) to monitor the TSS in the strait of Hormuz. This site is on a small island on the peak of Musandam Peninsula.

edit on 7/4/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

Iran has signed tyhe Law of Sea Treaty but it has not been ratified by the Iranian Parliament. The US is not a signatory of the Law of Sea Treaty because why??

The US does not accept the Law of the Sea Treaty ... I ask again why ???

Do you know?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

sanction is an act of war, why do you think japan attack pearl harbor? Because they wanted more resource and to do that started going into south Asia which the US knew would mess up their trade routes so they put sanction on japan. i got 93 on the US Constitution

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join