It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran lawmakers prepare to close Hormuz Strait

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

How many bases does USA have around Iran?
How many bases does Iran have around the USA?

Hi THE_PROFESSIONAL.

I'm confident that you have seen this illustration before, but I thought I should share it to shed light on the situation for those who have not seen it yet.

EACH STAR IS AN AMERICAN MILITARY BASE:

Cheers.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by Romekje
reply to post by Submarines

They have all the right in the world to close their territorial waters.

Exactly!

Israel gets away with illegal naval blockades on Gaza, so why can't Iran shut down their own territorial waters
?

The double standards held by some of ATS members baffles me.

he's a submarine... his head's underwater most of the time, right?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thanks Corruption, This is exactly what I am talking about, god forbid an Iranian base pops up in Mexico, Fox news would be at it 24-7

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There was a world poll (polls) conducted some time ago. It asked what Nation was the worlds greatest threat to peace, the answers varied but only between two Nations, Israel and the US.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
There was a world poll (polls) conducted some time ago. It asked what Nation was the worlds greatest threat to peace, the answers varied but only between two Nations, Israel and the US.

Yeah, I saw some of those polls too:

European Poll: Israel Biggest Threat To World Peace

I have no choice but to agree with the Europeans on this one.

Iran is under unfair sanctions due to their quest for nuclear power, yet Israel has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons but they keep flying under the radar.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

They have all the right in the world to do this to be honest.

Really? And why is that? The Strait is international waters. Iran doesn't "own" it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Hi THE_PROFESSIONAL.

I'm confident that you have seen this illustration before, but I thought I should share it to shed light on the situation for those who have not seen it yet.

Cheers.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Thanks for sharing.

Just look at the position of Iran and Syria in the region, as if they are going to let these crucial nations not be under western control!!

That's what it is all about as many already know.

There are many 'Paths to Persia'- closing the Strait of Hormuz could be one of the many, many provactions Israel and the west need to justify their war.

Personally I think Syria will be dealt with first, these tensions will continue to build in the background but 'something' will happen before the US elections IMO, the Zionists are just playing a waiting game before they pounce.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

anyone got a map of what it looked like in ohhh 1945, for instance,,u know when America Ruled the World,, no question's asked. well except for Communists,,
Might be interesting if they had more then?

"hero too goat"
in one Generation,,
facepalm please.

ya my pet goat too George

edit on 4-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ah, thanks for the link. Its funny though, most people will either discount these polls completely or claim that they are biased or rigged.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

First you put all your chess pieces in place.
And then... checkmate.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Romekje

The sanctions are not derived from the UN. They come from a term called Bilateral sanctions. Bilateral sanctions are valid and legal under international law (ICRC / IHL).

Are you serious?

They are called bilateral sanctions -because- they involve the UN/NATO

If it would be only the USA, or just some country in Europe, they would be unilateral, and people don't really need to care about unilateral sanctions unless they are trading with both the sanctioner, and sanctioned country.

But since these sanctions envelop all NATO countries, pretty much the entire western world is involved.

And just because something is legal, doesn't make the act less agressive.

Name ONE conflict where sanctions have NOT led to war.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Maybe Iran really is that stupid.

Hopefully they are. We can go ahead and get this war over with.

Iran is a threat to the entire world's national security.
edit on 4-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

The WORLD's -national- security

Hi NWO.

Aren't you falling for the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Iran has never been, and will never be, an agressor nation.

And if they get attacked, i HOPE they push that button and obliterate all ME USA bases and Israel along with it with the 10K+ pre-positioned and ready-for-launch missiles.

yet even when that would happen im sure it would be spun in such a way that they -look- like the agressors.

What are they thinking? Pre-positioning long range missiles in case they need to use them as defense, the barbarians.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Looks like Iran has changed it's way of thinking. More military power or just talk. The strait was left open in the Iran-Iraq War.

1984: 'Tanker War' in Persian Gulf

The so-called "Tanker War" started when Iraq attacked Iranian tankers and the oil terminal at Kharg Island in early 1984.Iran struck back by attacking tankers carrying Iraqi oil from Kuwait and then any tanker of the Persian Gulf states supporting Iraq.

In early 1984, Iraq was hard-pressed by a major Iranian offensive, and Saddam's hope in beginning the attacks on Iranian shipping was that the Iranians might do something extreme in retaliation, such as closing the Strait of Hormuz to all maritime traffic, and thereby bring American intervention into the war.

The United States had threatened several times to go to war if the Strait of Hormuz was closed. For this reason, the Iranians limited their retaliatory attacks to Iraqi shipping, leaving the Strait open to general passage.

Iran_iraq_war

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Well if you have the entire western world breathing down your neck, i'd change my stance aswell.

This just shows how defensive Iran really is. Though at the moment they are more passive-agressive imo, yet all in response to actual agression so i cant blame them.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"Iranian defence policy

On 29 June 2008, the commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, Ali Mohammed Jafari, said that if Iran were attacked by Israel or the United States, it would seal off the Strait of Hormuz, to wreak havoc in oil markets. This statement followed other more ambiguous threats from Iran's oil minister and other government officials that a Western attack on Iran would result in turmoil in oil supply.

In response, Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgriff, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet stationed in Bahrain across the Persian Gulf from Iran, warned that such an action by Iran would be considered an act of war, and that the U.S. would not allow Iran to effectively hold hostage nearly a third of the world's oil supply." Source

I know it's a Fox article (from like, 4yrs ago) but basically US forces have already made it crystal that any attempt by Iran to close the Straits will be considered an Act of War. And Obama has stated repeatedly in the last few months that "Americal WILL defend it's interests" Source

I think if this Iranian bill gets the green light, we'll be lookin at a no-holds-barred naval/land assault situation....

...just my humble $0.02!!!

edit on 4-7-2012 by starsyren because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i would think that Iran knows that the biggest mistake it could make is closing he strait. Short of total blockage with sunk ships, I doubt that they can actually do it. A naval blockage isn't going to work.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

They have all the right in the world to do this to be honest.

And it gives the western TPTB a good excuse to raise the gas prices instead of just opening the massive reserves they have.

Ow wait... they'll need those oil reserves for the coming war ofcourse

edit on 4/7/12 by Romekje because: typo

A significant rise in gas prices at this time would seriously threaten Obama's chances at re-election. Just a thought I figured I'd throw into the mix.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Hi THE_PROFESSIONAL.

Hey, Corruption Exposed,

What did that map look like pre-9/11, just curious...

Thanks,

NAM

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Submarines

They have all the right in the world to close their territorial waters.

Exactly!

Israel gets away with illegal naval blockades on Gaza, so why can't Iran shut down their own territorial waters
?

The double standards held by some of ATS members baffles me.

The UN has declared the Israeli blockade of Gaza legal.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DukeEligos

You are aware that the US actually gets very little of it's oil from the middle east right? According to NPR the US sources less than 1/8 of it's oil from the middle east whereas the European Union sources nearly ALL of their oil from said area.

www.npr.org...

Pot meet Kettle....

Anyway. What really vexes me is the fact that we seem to be doing Euro dirty work for them as usual while the Euro governments and people sneer and jeer at the sacrifices of blood and treasure we make to secure THEIR oil supply.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join