It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've been preparing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Okay so me and my friends have been "preparing" for a worst case scenario for a few years now, We're not stockpiling cans of food in an underground bunker or anything like that. But we are preparing for a worst case scenario where we will have to exit the city and find some place to "wait it out" or until most people die from fighting each other, or settle down.

We're not stockpiling cans of food because it wouldn't be beneficial for us to stay where we currently live, we live in the middle of a big city with nothing but apartments and concrete surrounding us. So we came up with a plan to exit the city and get away from the population center as fast as possible.

We have all done the proper paperwork and we have the necessary permits to buy weapons for mainly for self defense. There's 4 people in the group including me and we have the following:

Weapons -
3 Bushmaster M4's with Red Dot sights. (Red Dot sights so we can deliver rounds more accurately on targets)
Each of us has a Beretta M9 9mm handgun
1 Remington 870 12g shotgun

Now these are just in case we encounter hostiles while we make our way out of the city, or if we come across some crazies when we're out in the country.

I don't know how useful these are for hunting, so what are some good hunting rifles that you all recommend? Also I know a lot of people here have different methods for preparing so what do you all think about not stockpiling food and instead getting out of the city and try to find some place and hunt or raid some abandoned farms or just foraging?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Can i ask how you plan to exit the city quickly when everyone and their dog will be doing same,and will probably be armed to the teeth .

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

You mention red dot sights what kind are they? Cheap scopes fail and I would not trust them. BSA,Barska---anything made in China.

I am not just saying this I now first hand do not buy scopes made in China. Iron sights will always work use them get good with them and make sure your red dot will co-witness threw them.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

We have come up with a route which doesn't go through any major highway and is quite deserted most of the time. But we are thinking about getting some motorcycles because in a car we can easily get stuck in a traffic jam in case we do encounter traffic.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

They are from Aimpoint, and yeah I try to stay away from anything made in China

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Bow and arrow is better than most guns. But a good Ruger 22 long rifle cannot be beat.

I reiterate what was said above regarding getting out when TSHTF. You need to get out before TSHTF or you may never get out. That means seeing it coming before the masses.

Does the place where you intend to go have access to water? Is it cold and do you have shelter? What about an event that knocks out electronics/vehicles?

Sad fact is that most of the folks who survive will have gotten out long before TSHTF.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Bikes are a good option ,especially trail bikes ,although limited to what you can take and also vulnerable and desirable to those stuck in their cars ,If possible leave before the flock of sheep. At least being a member on ATS should give you a head start . good luck with your preparations ,and if nothing happens at least you will have a new bike.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Aimpoint you really now how to buy a red dot. I really like them alot even more then Eotech. Battery life is off the chart.

Flag for you

edit on 4-7-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

A really good light hunting rifle is a Winchester 1894 trapper 30-30. It is super light and and packs a good punch.

I also love the Remington 700 .308 sps tactical it is a great weapon. All it needs is a new stock and it is a tack driver.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Abandoned farms????? who would abandon a farm? especially one that is mixed, livestock and arable. so no stored food at all? what are you going to eat on your way out of the city? stop by at burger king? at least have some high energy snack bars in a rucksack.( Just so as you know, if you don't eat properly, you don't go to the toilet, then your troubles will really start).you need a complete re-think.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If you are serious, then go ahead and move OUT OF THE CITY.

In the event of contagion outbreak, martial law, military coup, etc... the first thing to happen is cordon off and quaranteen the cities. This means Humvees with machine guns at all exits, exit ramps, thoroughfares. You ain't goin' no where.

In the event of massive blackout, EMP, overseas nuclear strikes with the ensuing gaslines, financial market frenzy, and simultanious mob mass exodus...you ain't goin' no where.

And if you leave... how long on foot will it take you? How many meals and bottles of water does this translate into? Plus you run the risk of being assaulted, rounded up, robbed...even with guns, possibly having weapons confiscted by law enforcement...try walking down the street with guns and see what happens...not a big deal in a small town in the south, but a major city...folks freak out.

Nope... go ahead and move if you are serious and comute to the city if your jobs are there...but then try to build a life away from the city.

In any event... start storing lightweight, portable high enerdy foods...ie nuts, dried fruits, jerky, candies...

Also barterable ite,s...toilet paper, cigarettes, small bottles of alcohol... maybe a pack of smokes might get you through a checkpoint...never know.

And if you do get out along with the thousands of others...what then. You will be four city folks with guns in the country... you will starve to death or be dead within a couple of weeks.... practice and learn land skills and wood craft... primitive camping, water finding, land navigation, fishing, do you have an axe and kow how to use it? Stuff like that.

Once out of the city... where will you go? Do you have the clothes for the climate? Seeds? If this thing goes more than a few months...how about long term food sources? You just gonna wander around or do you have a destination? Have you been there and do you have relationships built there to help you survive?

There is a big jump between movies and books and manauals and...reality.

Are you really prepped?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
30-30 lever action. 180 or 200 grain. Flys straight but also at that grain the bullets rip through the brush with minimal deflection keeping you on target. Pointed tips on high calibers will deflect at their velocity with their shape.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You should reconsider Bushmaster. They're known to be some of the lowest quality AR's on the market and they cost just as much (sometimes more) than the high quality alternatives. In a harsh environment, it wouldn't take long before they developed possible gas system leaks/problems and broken bolts.
edit on 17-7-2012 by DriCo04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join