It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate my generation.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I know your pain.

I'm twenty and went through exactly what you are going through now. I wish I could say it will get better when you find like minded people but I haven't found them so I can't tell you that.
As for facebook, I gave it up a while back, I would pull my hair out just reading the first few posts.

You know, I have the strong feeling these days I was born in the wrong generation. I wish I had been this age in late 50's, early 60's Cuba, fighting in the revolution.

Oh well, chin up. Who knows it might get better.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

BRILLIANT!!...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Nicely written post, very eloquent...

You're complaining about the prevalence of style over substance..."all show---no go." And it is a
problem that is worsening due to media and our "new" ability to communicate information
instantly across the globe.

But take heart...the downside of this is a loss of our individual 'uniqueness', and kids especially
fell a strong need to be unique. The upside, however, is that this new global communication
will bring backward societies forward in time rapidly...

And if we don't allow politicians to annihilate us, in the span of a few decades, the divisive religions
and cultures and races will begin to come together as one human species...

,,,and of course, it will then be even harder to see yourself as unique.

But you are not alone...Plato is credited with the retelling of this Aristotle quote from 300 B.C....

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

The attribution is sketchy, but the new generation has always been seen as
disrespectful and immoral, by older generations....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
OP: I have 4 years on you, so I'm part of this "generation" you speak of, and I can safely say I see the exact same things when I look around.

Lemme back up though, when I was going through High School I was the same as you, had not a care in the world other than consuming, partying, and getting laid. Although that last one I'm pretty sure is just a side-effect of the whole "growing up process".

But then I started "waking up", I looked around and saw these "culture fads" or whatever you want to call them consuming people of our generation. They would go from being a normal kid to being a "gangsta" in a day, simply because they thought they would be "cool" or something. And yes, I noticed the potty mouth problem too, exactly as you described it, and I hate it just as much.

I've also seen, as jude mentions in the quote below, how kids in this generation are handed EVERYTHING for doing minimal work. Now, my family isn't "rich" per se, but they have a decent amount of cash, not the 1%, but somewhere in the 15% I'd guess. And I mean, yeah, I had gotten stuff out of my parents, but they at least TRIED to teach me the value of working for my "prize", which in my blindness and stupidity (while watching everyone around me getting handed stuff) made me mad. But now I understand...

Like you, I despise this generation, and I just wish they would wake up and see that everything they have learned (they are 'special', etc) is a lie. Their music only promotes consumerism and hatred, and that they need to do their fair share of work if they want a piece of the pie. It will not just be handed to them.

I would continue, but I have to get going to help my Dad set up a booth at our local July 4th fireworks event

Originally posted by jude11
"You are so special" You deserve to be singled out" My child is smarter than yours" My kid wears designer clothes" "Good job on your homework...would you like an I-phone?"

Everything without earning anything because they are so 'Special'

News Flash! You are NOT special. You can't even spell or read at a 6th grade level when you graduate. You have no idea what goes on in the World because your nose is stuck in text mode. You can't even fathom what earning a dollar means because your parents give you 20, 50, 100 dollars a week for an allowance just for being a 'good boy/girl' because you loaded the dishwasher a few times this week. And if they don't give it to you? You try to shame them into thinking that every other parent is better than them.

This generation will do nothing to help the state of the World because they are too lazy and uninformed to see what is going on around them.

edit on 4-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Dude, I hear ya. I'm only 26 myself, older than many people who move in my circles, yet they treat me like I'M the d*ck because I don't fawn over every new hardcore band to hit the scene, because I don't dress like a sl*t or have a boyfriend in a band, because I have my own interests and hobbies and don't need a band of scallywags following me about to feel secure about my place in life.

I think at that age, most people are cut from the same cloth. It probably has something to do with schooling all told, masses of people influenced in different ways by what they're taught or not taught, banding together because in actual fact they have no idea what to think or do and just do what everyone else is doing.

The one thing I'm in agreement with 100% is how people talk badly about their parents. I've got friends my age who treat their parents like crap and it makes me so angry. Most of them don't have any clue what it's like to have a parent worthy of complaint.

After reading that I instantly remembered a good friend of mine telling me that we live in a nation full of "Followers but no Leaders," and I think you'd appreciate that one haha. Now today, we get to listen to all of the uneducated fools boast and scream about how awesome America is.

hashgahrghiweahg --> That is my frustration.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
They just sound like typical teenagers to me.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Nicely written post, very eloquent...

You're complaining about the prevalence of style over substance..."all show---no go." And it is a
problem that is worsening due to media and our "new" ability to communicate information
instantly across the globe.

But take heart...the downside of this is a loss of our individual 'uniqueness', and kids especially
fell a strong need to be unique. The upside, however, is that this new global communication
will bring backward societies forward in time rapidly...

And if we don't allow politicians to annihilate us, in the span of a few decades, the divisive religions
and cultures and races will begin to come together as one human species...

,,,and of course, it will then be even harder to see yourself as unique.

But you are not alone...Plato is credited with the retelling of this Aristotle quote from 300 B.C....

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

The attribution is sketchy, but the new generation has always been seen as
disrespectful and immoral, by older generations....

Thanks for sharing that quote, I've never heard it before.

I guess coming out and saying 'this generation' isn't the proper way, it's more or less this entire new phase that young adults seem to just be soaking up which is this fad of becoming an egotistical maniac who can acquire as many materialistic possessions as possible. There's no self-respect among these teenagers, the amount of perpetrated hate that flows through the veins of some people is mind-bending.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThedeadeyesofCharlieSheen
I know your pain.

I'm twenty and went through exactly what you are going through now. I wish I could say it will get better when you find like minded people but I haven't found them so I can't tell you that.
As for facebook, I gave it up a while back, I would pull my hair out just reading the first few posts.

You know, I have the strong feeling these days I was born in the wrong generation. I wish I had been this age in late 50's, early 60's Cuba, fighting in the revolution.

Oh well, chin up. Who knows it might get better.

I agree completely. My mother calls me an "Old Soul" and I would have loved to grow up during the 50's, I just love that time period and find it fascinating.

But yeah, I've hit the point where I will not use Facebook anymore. It's incredible how much time the people in my area spend on it, they play little "Truth is" games and it's utterly absurd.

There priorities are so backwards, yet they truly think that they are free and taken care of. It's what I would call brainwashing. It's sad, really.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
OP: I have 4 years on you, so I'm part of this "generation" you speak of, and I can safely say I see the exact same things when I look around.

Lemme back up though, when I was going through High School I was the same as you, had not a care in the world other than consuming, partying, and getting laid. Although that last one I'm pretty sure is just a side-effect of the whole "growing up process".

But then I started "waking up", I looked around and saw these "culture fads" or whatever you want to call them consuming people of our generation. They would go from being a normal kid to being a "gangsta" in a day, simply because they thought they would be "cool" or something. And yes, I noticed the potty mouth problem too, exactly as you described it, and I hate it just as much.

I've also seen, as jude mentions in the quote below, how kids in this generation are handed EVERYTHING for doing minimal work. Now, my family isn't "rich" per se, but they have a decent amount of cash, not the 1%, but somewhere in the 15% I'd guess. And I mean, yeah, I had gotten stuff out of my parents, but they at least TRIED to teach me the value of working for my "prize", which in my blindness and stupidity (while watching everyone around me getting handed stuff) made me mad. But now I understand...

Like you, I despise this generation, and I just wish they would wake up and see that everything they have learned (they are 'special', etc) is a lie. Their music only promotes consumerism and hatred, and that they need to do their fair share of work if they want a piece of the pie. It will not just be handed to them.

I would continue, but I have to get going to help my Dad set up a booth at our local July 4th fireworks event

Originally posted by jude11
"You are so special" You deserve to be singled out" My child is smarter than yours" My kid wears designer clothes" "Good job on your homework...would you like an I-phone?"

Everything without earning anything because they are so 'Special'

News Flash! You are NOT special. You can't even spell or read at a 6th grade level when you graduate. You have no idea what goes on in the World because your nose is stuck in text mode. You can't even fathom what earning a dollar means because your parents give you 20, 50, 100 dollars a week for an allowance just for being a 'good boy/girl' because you loaded the dishwasher a few times this week. And if they don't give it to you? You try to shame them into thinking that every other parent is better than them.

This generation will do nothing to help the state of the World because they are too lazy and uninformed to see what is going on around them.

edit on 4-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

You and I were essentially the same person in high school, doing the same things, unfortunately. It really is great to see other like-minded individuals though. I guess now I'm running out of things to say, but all in all, this generation is ungrateful yet they claim to be grateful. They are hateful, yet they claim to be kind (and expect to be treated/respected well). Have no respect for anyone, parents, let alone themselves, then get upset when a "hater disrespects" (disagrees) with them.

I just cannot believe how much these kids cuss. I think it stands out to me because I used to be the same way, I had no filter and oh boy did I have a problem with blurting out obscenities. But now, it's almost become the standard. It really does tick me off when I see these people talk the way they do. It's this entire new "IDGAF" (I don't give a F-bomb) attitude that drives me absolutely INSANE.

It's all about YOLO and IDGAF, that's their the premise to their entire lives. Damn shame.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Your generation is the most narcissistic bunch of kids that I can recall. I cannot understand why its now cool to be a victim of something.
It seems that these kids are always trying to outdo each other about whos had the hardest life but the so called hardships they complain about are a part of growing up, nothing new.

We had a word for these types when I was a teen, ***** cat, (without the cat)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire
They are hateful, yet they claim to be kind (and expect to be treated/respected well). Have no respect for anyone, parents, let alone themselves, then get upset when a "hater disrespects" (disagrees) with them.
Could not have put it better myself.

That's essentially them in a nutshell. It boggles the mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

What's interesting to me about this/your generation is that if it's a failed generation, the blame must be doled out in an intelligent way. And that way includes blaming the parents/mentors/civil servants who were supposed to be educating you/making the health of your generation a priority.
But who's got time with our pointless busy jobs and endless quest for more money...
edit on 7/4/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Kudos for seeing clearly.

I was going to go into a huge monologue about how mass media/advertising has ruined everything, but you all have probably heard it in some form already. Besides, I have a head cold and don't feel like rambling.

Some have touched on the culture of instant gratification that mass media has cultivated, and that is a big part of it. Another is "popular" music, although I fail to see how that garbage could be popular. It is force-fed to the masses of young, impressionable people, and it serves its purpose to create the behaviors that the OP describes.

It is all part of the operation.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You were being sarcastic about the sports bit, correct? It makes me sick how the only thing people will rally and get angry or upset about is sports. They can pass laws left and right that strip us or one of one our fellow humans of rights and no one gives a damn. Their plans work well, I guess.

It is hard, we want to share this knowledge with people about corruption, etc, and it is either ridiculed or ignored. Watch platos cave allegory on youtube,or read the book it is from(The Republic). If you are truly "enlightened", it is your duty. We owe it to the knowledge, even if it kills us.
edit on 4-7-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2012 by smashdem because: additions.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think you've hit the nail on the head.
I'm 37 years old and i observe the young people these days, and everything you've said is true of
a very large number of them.
If only more people of your age thought like you do.
I enjoyed your post, it was very honest of you.
Peace.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Please try to refrain from becoming too self-righteous on your way to martyrdom. Each 'generation', and every person (in it) is 'special' in what they (might/think they) have to offer. Just as those around you are not in your head, you also don't reside in theirs.

You know what I hate? When people take a relatively good word/s and use that word more than once within the same post.. but I still read the post.

(I'll be 52 next month, but so what you know :cool

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You should love everyone

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I was in the same boat my friend. I never really started reading into this stuff when i was about 21. But i always had hints, and my mother talked about some interesting things with me too. The unknown scares me, but thats most of the fun. I love the unknown as well. Always searching for more, piece by piece.

I never graduated high school. Missing 1.5 credits for the diploma. But i just could not do it anymore. I had average grades, crappy grades. Its not that im 'not smart' i just hated being there. HS was the dumbest thing anyone could have ever gone through (to me). I was constantly bullied between 6th grade and 9th (and some instances in 10). I never partied hardcore, but i did once in awhile. I hardly ever touched other things (drugs) until later on in life. But anyways... Eventually the whole.. feeling became too much, the labeling, the b/s i dealt with the faculty (long story short, they wanted me to repeat a gym glass they said i failed, but didnt have my 4 year old reportcard to prove it. I refused. I called everyone in the schoolboard. Nothing. No way was a 18-19 year old going to a 15-16 year old gym glass.. Refused. Needless to say, i quit one day in english. Just up and left without a word.

I have a college degree though. I applied as a mature student when i was 21. I passed my courses with flying colors (mostly i guess =P).

This generation is stupid. Thankfully i don't have many people on my facebook that are of that genre of people. I only have a few that post obnoxious stuff like that so i can ignore it pretty well. It gets better though. When you don't have to have daily contact with a bunch of immature kids it kinda gets better =P

There are some immature adults too, just beware. Age =/= Maturity
SnF

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

hello, i've just read your post and was amazed as you have been and are still going through exactly the same situation i have over the last year, only difference is i'm 27 and a girl,

but it gives me hope to see someone as young as you seeing the world for what it really is, my niece is 20 and as soon as i started to tell her of the things i've learnt she has distanced herself from me which is really sad as we were like sisters,

my closest brother out of 4 who is 29 was ''worried'' about me at first and all he could do was ridicule me which angered me so much, he wouldn't even let me show him the proof of the things i was telling him, and when i showed him something on bbcs website he simply said that anyone could create a fake webpage, i was gob smacked that he would rather worry about me than just look at the things i was showing him, thing is, i now realise that is because he doesn't want his view of the world to change, and this make me really sad, knowing that he chooses ignorance over truth hurts me but i can now see that he is starting to notice things, and one of my more happier moments was when my mum told me that my 20 year old niece was listening to my brother talk about banking and she said 'your getting just like lyn' (lyn is me btw). this made me laugh out loud when she told me

take care, and never stop trying to tell people what you know, they may not want to hear it but it may well play on their minds until they start to see it for themselves

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Haha makes perfect sense to me. However, I'm in the UK, and many people I'm in contact with are well aware that this place is a cess pit. Yet no-one wants to do anything about it but sit and smoke weed and argue over bands

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join