It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate my generation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Before I begin, I'll tell you about myself briefly. Needless to say, I've been wanting to type this all out for quite some time now, I just haven't been able to word it the way I want to - but here goes nothin'. I've been reading ATS for a few years now, but I just recently registered my account but have only posted a handful of times. I spend most of my time reading through threads, and this probably goes without saying, but I've learned some pretty fascinating things from lurking around here.

Now when I say 'my generation,' that is my own perception, and what I perceive to be as 'my generation' are teenagers and young adults (I use the term adults very loosely). I only recently turned eighteen, and I just recently graduated high school as well. Now I've always had a fascination with the unknown (extraterrestrials, paranormal, afterlife, you get the idea), and that is what brought me to ATS, but ATS brought me into the world of politics, corporations/bankers, corruption, deceit through the media, and all of that fun stuff. Now it is essentially my life, and I spent a great deal of time reading articles, researching certain agendas, more or less just trying to find some more knowledge and gain a better understanding of the system. And here I am now, an entirely new outlook on life, a new perspective on my faith, a radically different (yet better, ironically) life that I'm living compared to just a mere two or three years ago.

Thing is, before all of this, I simply didn't care. I was nothing more than your typical high-school student (sports, not caring about school, girls, money, and a few other things I won't bother listing). The people I hung out with and called my friends had the same mindset of me, obsessed with this fad-driven culture and following whatever was the next big thing. I sat around and debated sports teams, movies, music, rather than now in which I would rather discuss ideas and beliefs, and simply converse, talk. I went to a school I didn't like, and never applied myself. I passed with decent grades, but it wasn't that hard to BS a way through a paper or a little homework assignment. I never listened during lectures, and never was the one to partake in ANY kind of discussion. I hated school and everything about it, I simply didn't care, and didn't want to care. All that I cared about were materialistic things, and materialistic people.

And that is where I start to get a bit upset in my story, because I was nothing more than a blind fool who was walking into his own demise. I don't want to bog you down with the story of me, that's not my point, but one quote from Bruce Lee started getting my gears turning, and it is - "Those who are unaware they are walking in darkness will never seek the light." It just... stuck out to me, in a way. Ever since I began on this journey (questioning what I thought I knew, thinking outside of my own existence, and ultimately finding myself), I really have begun to develop this almost hatred for my generation. And the only reason I call it hatred, is because I was once there, and it's mesmerizing.

Kids my age are amazingly, brilliantly, ignorant. I'm not a big advocate of Facebook, but I follow certain alternative news groups that post motivational and inspirational quotes/pictures, and that's the only reason I bother to get on anymore. Now every time I log on, I think to myself "Jesus, this is really what these kids are concerning their lives over. This is what they've prioritized, this is what they publicly announce to the entire world, this is who they are."

Getting on Facebook, I about have an ulcer every time. Kids, my generation, people my age, are just CONSTANTLY whining (ultimate case of irony, I know), usually about how terrible and poor their lives are and how they don't get treated like such crap and how no one ever gives them respect and blah blah blah blah freaking BLAH! I am SO tired of listening to it, SO tired. Kids posting statuses on Facebook in which they can't go two or three words without cussing (don't get me wrong, I have a potty mouth myself, I just have this thing called a filter), and don't even get me started on how wrong this obsession with degrading music is. In short, it is INCREDIBLE what some people consider "music" and it is truly mind-boggling to see certain people called musicians. But this generation just soaks it up.

See, this generation is absolutely obsessed with over-indulging themselves into megalomania. Pardon the vernacular, but they think their crap don't stink, and that they are an 'exception' to all the garbage that spews out of their mouth. (I hate this and that, I hate when people do this and that - yet they are the ones who engage in said activity) I know I already hit on it once, but I cannot stand how much kids my age cuss. It's like their vocabulary revolves around the F-Bomb, the N-word, and the vernacular for a female dog. The one thing that really actually gets under my skin, is when kids badmouth their parents on Facebook. Now that, that's just wrong. That should be common sense, but common sense ain't so common anymore.

It's madness! It's all about an image that too many young folks are obsessed with. Personally, this is where I simply shake my head and scoff while turning away, but hey - it happens, A LOT. This new... phase, I don't know what to call of it, of this whole "swag" thing. I know a lot of folks on ATS are a bit older, so I'll try and help you guys out. What does swag mean? I don't know, something some illiterate rapper came up with and that everyone is obsessed with now. I guess it's kind of like when people used to say "She's all that," but your guess is good as mine. But there are a few other ones out there, like this whole HAM thing. It stands for Hard as a MF'er. And now kids are abbreviating "as F-bomb" as "af." There are plenty more examples, but those are the few that just piss me off.

A few more things is how kids prioritize things now. I tell you what, one thing that this generation does right is sports. I have personally met a few people who will jump down your throat and scream until their red in the face if you "diss" their team. That and music - but like I said earlier, it isn't music.

If you've managed to read through this far, I'd honestly be kind of amazed. I don't post on here much, and this is probably nothing more than some annoying ranting, but it honestly feels good to get all of this out. But this is the reason I decided to post this, and the two things that I truly cannot stand.

PLEASE do not turn this into a religious debate.

I am not a Christian. I have my own faith. This is a different topic and one that I do not wish to discuss on this thread, please respect that, thank you. Thing is, I cannot have a conversation with anyone regarding religious beliefs. In my small town, if you don't believe in Christianity than you're automatically some twisted evil Atheist who will rot in hell forever - no exceptions. Being a part of ATS has made the word "ignorance" stick out, and I hate using it... but it's just ignorance. I hate it. I used to wear a cross necklace to school just so people would leave me alone about my religion. I just said I was a Christian to appease THEM. It made me feel like such a terrible human being.

Ugh. End rant. If you bothered to read through this, then yay! I've been wanting to type this out for some time now, and am happy I did. I surprisingly feel much better now.

Rome

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
What you have stated is all in the "cards". And makes perfect sense.

It is not an age thing. People of all ages are blind.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I agree but i think its always been like that. Just look at the "adults" around you. Some grew up most didnt. Hell i had some chick on my facebook who i wasnt into at all. She got a boyfriend and suddenly tgis guy whp ive never even heard of is harrassing me on facebook. Wtf? Were in our late 20s, i dont give a damn about what they think of me

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
What you have stated is all in the "cards". And makes perfect sense.

It is not an age thing. People of all ages are blind.

I just wish more kids my age when become proactive when it comes to matters that, well, matter, rather than being consumed by this media-entertainment driven society. Facebook, instagram, pinterest, iPhone apps, video games, movies, music, etc. As much as I hate to say it, it's brainwashing. It's what 'they' want, and it's scary to see the pieces begin to connect and even scarier to witness people who can't see the puzzle.

As Mark Twain said, "It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they've been fooled."

I fear that if some event were to occur, nobody (well, at least the vast majority of the population) would be like a deer caught in the headlights - uh oh, what do we do? It may seem far out, but if you've been paying attention lately there has been something happening "behind the scenes," or so at least it seems.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I'm old, I'm crusty, I'm angry, I'm jaded, I'm disappointed...I'm 50.

I agree.

I think about my grand parents and remember their complaints of youth (every generation has them)

I think about my parents...same.

Now I look at the youth today and it's the first generation that I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. Why? Because they have been given everything without earning anything. As you mentioned, they feel entitled to everything without actually earning anything.

But I can also say that they have been brainwashed into thinking that they are 'Special' because of how they were raised.

"You are so special" You deserve to be singled out" My child is smarter than yours" My kid wears designer clothes" "Good job on your homework...would you like an I-phone?"

Everything without earning anything because they are so 'Special'

News Flash! You are NOT special. You can't even spell or read at a 6th grade level when you graduate. You have no idea what goes on in the World because your nose is stuck in text mode. You can't even fathom what earning a dollar means because your parents give you 20, 50, 100 dollars a week for an allowance just for being a 'good boy/girl' because you loaded the dishwasher a few times this week. And if they don't give it to you? You try to shame them into thinking that every other parent is better than them.

This generation will do nothing to help the state of the World because they are too lazy and uninformed to see what is going on around them.

Also, remember one thing. Don't even try the "Your Generation ruined it" because it's been used before. I know. Reality? 1% of the NOW generation has ruined it for all of us. Difference? My generation has the knowledge and balls to change it...and we will.

You can sit back and watch. We'll take care of it...as always. Just remember to text what you witness because that's your only contribution that I have seen so far.

Whew!

Forgot to mention...I'm also halfway through my Jack D...but I earned it fair and square and paid for it with hard earned cash.

Peace

edit on 4-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
I agree but i think its always been like that. Just look at the "adults" around you. Some grew up most didnt. Hell i had some chick on my facebook who i wasnt into at all. She got a boyfriend and suddenly tgis guy whp ive never even heard of is harrassing me on facebook. Wtf? Were in our late 20s, i dont give a damn about what they think of me

Kind of reminds of what a former boss once told me. She said, "Cory, one day thirty years from now you'll be thinking, damn, I thought I graduated high school already! These people are nuts!" Slowly but surely, I am realizing that she was spot on with that statement haha.

And yup, gotta love the people who harass you on Facebook. I had to actually block an entire family of six people because of messages like that. I would block one profile, then they would their brothers or sisters, then it got to their parents. I was pretty amazed, I guess sending me hate messages was the highlight of their day and a top-shelf priority in their life.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You must understand not all of them are like this...and I couldn't agree with you more.

As a child that just got out of the 8th grade, I understand everything you just said.

I hope one day my peers will wake up from all this hyped drug abuse, cursing, and overall disrespect of themselves and others.

But you know well enough the chance of that is extremely low and with all these hip hop stars...what or who is going to help them?
edit on 4/7/12 by Philosorapter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

I agree.

I think about my grand parents and remember their complaints of youth (every generation has them)

Now I look at the youth today an it's the first generation that I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. Why? Because they have been given everything without earning anything. As you mentioned, they feel entitled to everything without actually earning anything.

But I can also say that they have been brainwashed into thinking that they are 'Special' because of how they were raised.

"You are so special" You deserve to be singled out" My child is smarter than yours" My kid wears designer clothes" "Good job on your homework...would you like an I-phone?"

News Flash! You are NOT special. You can't even spell or read at a 6th grade level when you graduate. You have no idea what goes on in the World because your nose is stuck in text mode. You can't even fathom what earning a dollar means because your parents give you 20, 50, 100 dollars a week for an allowance for being a 'good boy/girl'. And if they don't give it to you? You try to shame them into thinking that every other parent is better than them.

This generation will do nothing to help the state of the World because they are too lazy and uninformed to see what is going on around them.

Also, remember one thing. Don't even try the "Your Generation ruined it" because it's been used before. I know. Reality? 1% of the NOW generation has ruined it for all of us. Difference? My generation has the knowledge and balls to change it...and we will.

You can sit back and watch. We'll take care of it...as always. Just remember to text what you witness because that's your only contribution that I have seen so far.

Whew!

Forgot to mention...I'm also halfway through my Jack D...

Peace

No that's alright, old-timer, you go ahead and sit back and finish your Jack and relax, you've earned it!

WE will take care of this one... yeah right, who am I kidding?

My generation can't even wait two and a half minutes to wait for food to be done cooking in the microwave without being impatient!

My mother used to tell me that they were stuck in the "Now-factor." All they care about is what is happening NOW, they want this or that NOW, it's all about NOW. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for living in the present, but it's so true! It's all about self satisfaction and self pleasure as soon as possible and as often as possible.

Technically though, they are "special." They are a very special type of breed, not a good one by any means, but still... special. We call them, "The Ungratefuls."

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philosorapter
You must understand not all of them are like this...and I couldn't agree with you more.

As a child that just got out of the 8th grade, I understand everything you just said.

I hope one day my peers will wake up from all this hyped drug abuse, cursing, and overall disrespect of themselves and others.

But you know well enough the chance of that is extremely low and with all these hip hop stars...what or who is going to help them?

It's a very worrying thought, to think what will happen to future generations, to morals and etiquette, as time goes on.

It makes me sad, angry, and confused at the same time when I see so many people never truly realizing their own potential. There's just so much more to life than this media driven frenzy of "Have to have this, have to have that," just to have a status symbol thrown over you.

And when people talk of deserving this or that, or expecting to be treated a certain way, yet they never give the same affection they so desperately seek. I think that's more universal than just one single group of people, in this case teenagers, but teenagers are infamous at doing so. Expect to be treated like a princess or a king yet they treat everyone else like crap that doesn't live up to their standards.

And the people they chose for role models, well, that in itself is a tragedy that could entice an entire different discussion. It's a damn shame.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

I agree.

Now I look at the youth today an it's the first generation that I have absolutely no faith in whatsoever. Why? Because they have been given everything without earning anything. As you mentioned, they feel entitled to everything without actually earning anything.

News Flash! You are NOT special. You can't even spell or read at a 6th grade level when you graduate. You have no idea what goes on in the World because your nose is stuck in text mode. You can't even fathom what earning a dollar means because your parents give you 20, 50, 100 dollars a week for an allowance for being a 'good boy/girl'. And if they don't give it to you? You try to shame them into thinking that every other parent is better than them.

Whew!

Forgot to mention...I'm also halfway through my Jack D...

Peace

I owe you 1 million stars, don't forget to remind me when you post next time.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I can only wish that all people of your age where as well spoken and observant as you...

But you know what they say "Wish in one hand and # in another" see which one fills up faster...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I believe the current generation also has it the worst out of all the generations that came before. Bold remark and it goes against the thread, I know.

We may get things we don't work for, but we always have to blend in with the crowd or have the hardest time getting friends because everyone around you believes rumors someone randomly started about you.

Its either blend in, put up with incessant bullying and persecution, or commit suicide because of extreme depression.

According to my parents it was never this bad when they were growing up.

@mileysubet Thank You

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

Wow. This is awkward but you seem to have nearly the exact same personal background as I do and actually are supposedly the same age and everything... Not everyday you find a mirror with a image that can walk away!!

Hahaha actually... Well first off you are not alone! People say it but luckily 9/10 times they are right... Second off hate the generation if you must but try to make a difference and change things! Bring others into the light but be aware that some are just... Meant... To be in shade.
Honestly there are just so many things I actually would wish to discuss, seeing as we have so many things in common I actually am curious of your views on society, politics, education etc...

But in case that doesn't happen, I just must say that it is important to retain some "teenagedom". I just got a job a few months ago... Sometimes 50 hours a week and it's physical in the heat-- draining to say the least. Anyway my gf hates me for it sometimes (playfully of course), friends have lost touch, I have no "me" time... I wish I could just have a normal summer with less work sometimes. It is important to be a kid when you have a chance ya know.

As for music: it's what keeps me through the hard times, so he'll ya I'll still debate it even to this day!

Like I said, too much to say in just one post... The world is a dumb place. Either try to fix it, or stay out of its way and either way you can be happy.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

I believe the current generation also has it the worst out of all the generations that came before. Bold remark and it goes against the thread, I know.

We may get things we don't work for, but we always have to blend in with the crowd or have the hardest time getting friends because everyone around you believes rumors someone randomly started about you.

Its either blend in, put up with incessant bullying and persecution, or commit suicide because of extreme depression.

According to my parents it was never this bad when they were growing up.

@mileysubet Thank You

Sorry, but peer pressure is as old as our existence. It only takes on new forms with each passing generation but it was just as cruel 100 years ago as it is today..

Ask anyone...teenagers are cruel. And yes, we have all been cruel teenagers at least once.

Peace

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Hello there, just thought I would let you know that I am that generation you hate, but I am not like the others. When my parents ask me what i want for my birthday I say nothing, birthdays are nothing more than a capitalistic date and I don't buy into that. But there are other reasons as well, I am not greedy, I always love to help people out, etc.
I recently joined an art class and I am the only young person in a class of 20, everyone else is over 60+, but I don't care learning from the elderly is one of the best things and they are incredibly nice and welcoming to me.

So when you say you hate this generation please think again, because I do not have these personality traits based on luck but rather excellent parenting, so if your going to blame the failure for this generation then look at the parents who were supposed to be good role models....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

True, teenagers are cruel.

but 100 years ago we didn't have cell phones, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter...etc

A teenager can easily leave a threatening voicemail or text and get away with it. Targeting is easier nowadays, and worse.

Yes it takes new forms but it wasn't this intense years ago.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Wow. This is awkward but you seem to have nearly the exact same personal background as I do and actually are supposedly the same age and everything... Not everyday you find a mirror with a image that can walk away!!

Hahaha actually... Well first off you are not alone! People say it but luckily 9/10 times they are right... Second off hate the generation if you must but try to make a difference and change things! Bring others into the light but be aware that some are just... Meant... To be in shade.
Honestly there are just so many things I actually would wish to discuss, seeing as we have so many things in common I actually am curious of your views on society, politics, education etc...

But in case that doesn't happen, I just must say that it is important to retain some "teenagedom". I just got a job a few months ago... Sometimes 50 hours a week and it's physical in the heat-- draining to say the least. Anyway my gf hates me for it sometimes (playfully of course), friends have lost touch, I have no "me" time... I wish I could just have a normal summer with less work sometimes. It is important to be a kid when you have a chance ya know.

As for music: it's what keeps me through the hard times, so he'll ya I'll still debate it even to this day!

Like I said, too much to say in just one post... The world is a dumb place. Either try to fix it, or stay out of its way and either way you can be happy.

Haha, it's always a relief to know that I'm not the only one. Granted I have a close group of friends in which we all have the same mindset and are all very open-minded, and spend a lot of time just bouncing ideas off of one another and just talking about things that are bigger than us.

It's funny now that I think of it, we really are nothing more than a bunch of kids who just want to learn and want to explore. Question ideas, no respect for the status quo. Individualism, creativity, and just being yourself. One thing that I noticed is that when I began to open up about certain ideas I have, other people began to find an interest in it as well which led them on their own personal journey. That's one of the greatest feelings one can ever achieve, in my opinion. To be the one to open up someone else's mind is truly amazing.

"They laugh at me because they say I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same."

Maybe there are a few more nuggets of gold in this generation of filth than I had originally anticipated.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Hello there, just thought I would let you know that I am that generation you hate, but I am not like the others. When my parents ask me what i want for my birthday I say nothing, birthdays are nothing more than a capitalistic date and I don't buy into that. But there are other reasons as well, I am not greedy, I always love to help people out, etc.
I recently joined an art class and I am the only young person in a class of 20, everyone else is over 60+, but I don't care learning from the elderly is one of the best things and they are incredibly nice and welcoming to me.

So when you say you hate this generation please think again, because I do not have these personality traits based on luck but rather excellent parenting, so if your going to blame the failure for this generation then look at the parents who were supposed to be good role models....

You, my friend, do not match the criteria for any of the things I mentioned. Also, there are exceptions, everywhere. My close group of friends (there's four of us) are all like-minded and are selfless individuals who have undoubtedly made a ripple effect in our community regarding the current state of the country we live in (presuming you live in the US).

And no, I will not blame parents. I understand the concept of a vicious cycle and how if a child is not raised on a good set of morals, they will go on to teach their children incorrectly, and the cycle ensues. But from a young age, my parents failed me, and I broke the cycle. I think it is a parents responsibility to raise a child the right way, but I do not full-heartedly blame parents if their child is out of line. There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, and it's not as black and white as it seems. There's always a grey area.

Also, parents can't necessarily dictate what is "right" or "wrong" in their children's lives. Kids are going to inevitable experiment and lash out, that's human nature, and from what I have seen more children look up to celebrities/athletes/musicians rather than their parents for role models. But I agree at a point, a lot of young kids are having their own kids now. That's not parenting, and I have no sympathy for the parents, but that poor child will not be raised in the proper environment.

But that leads into nature v. nurture which is entirely different.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Dude, I hear ya. I'm only 26 myself, older than many people who move in my circles, yet they treat me like I'M the d*ck because I don't fawn over every new hardcore band to hit the scene, because I don't dress like a sl*t or have a boyfriend in a band, because I have my own interests and hobbies and don't need a band of scallywags following me about to feel secure about my place in life.

I think at that age, most people are cut from the same cloth. It probably has something to do with schooling all told, masses of people influenced in different ways by what they're taught or not taught, banding together because in actual fact they have no idea what to think or do and just do what everyone else is doing.

The one thing I'm in agreement with 100% is how people talk badly about their parents. I've got friends my age who treat their parents like crap and it makes me so angry. Most of them don't have any clue what it's like to have a parent worthy of complaint.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Eh, I've found that a good rant (not necessarily on ATS or any Internet forum) can be quite cathartic. Besides that I have no opinion about your rant, other than to say that I respect your sense of self-reflection.

Take it easy, dude.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join