It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Stupid or No, What do you say?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
First it baby sea turtles, and the bright lights, that people have to alter their habits for, now for other stupidity a town in Oregon has to give up its 4th of July celebrations because it might disturb, nesting birds.

How is it that we've let a minimum number of animals run over our lives and we have to alter our living habits, because these animals haven't been able to make it past the humans in the last 100 years. I'm not knocking the animals, but who puts these people in charge that will use animals as an excuse to control humans. How ridiculous.

Daily Mail Reporter

A small seaside village in Oregon was forced to cancel its Independence Day fireworks display that has been a lifeblood for local businesses -- and this decision was for the birds.

Depoe Bay has attracted hundreds of visitors every July 3 for nearly 20 years with a pyrotechnics show that filled its small motels and brought diners into its restaurants.
In 2010, a resident called the federal agency to report that the explosion of the rockets over Pirates Cove sent flocks of bird fleeing their nests in terror, the Oregonian reports.

But the federal government threatened that Oregon could be held liable under the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act, even though the Brandt's Cormorant is not listed as endangered or threatened by the Fish and Wildlife Service.

edit on 3-7-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change

edit on 3-7-2012 by 1loserel2 because: typo

edit on 4-7-2012 by Gemwolf because: Fixed tags

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

You know what I think is stupid? "Adults" with a juvenile fascination with things that go *BOOM*! *SPARKLY*! *SHINY*! *CRACKLE*!

Just have a freaking beer and some nice refreshing respect for other life forms.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I think that you have a sense of entitlement that is very very...............impossible. You're a troll. I don't believe that you actually feel this way. You are pissed at something else and you are taking it out on living creatures that don't know wtf is going on. You know better.

Actually it seems you don't.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think people maybe over reacting a little on this one. Like I could see if the birds were endangered but just because it scares theem 1 night out of every 364 a year doesn't mean something like this should be cancelled.

ps I hate this particular week, way to much patriotism between the 4th of july and canada day

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I still cannot believe you think that.......I'm in disbelief. You're full of it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Would you actually put your soul on the line for.....firecrackers if it came down to it!

You think that is more important then animals that feel and live!!!!

How about I bomb your house with explosives for a night for #s and giggles and see how you like it?

You deserve it fool.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrchusGhule

You know what I think is stupid? "Adults" with a juvenile fascination with things that go *BOOM*! *SPARKLY*! *SHINY*! *CRACKLE*!

Just have a freaking beer and some nice refreshing respect for other life forms.

I cannot fully agree with your first statement, however your second is just fine by me.
Holidays should be about interacting with those who are important or who you want to be important to you.
It is amazing what just gathering can do for your mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Fireworx arent cheap.
Here in Aus we spend stupid amounts of Aussie day celebrations.
Surely there's better things we could put those millions towards?
why not have a firework free aus day this year and all the money goes to the homeless for a new shelter and so forth?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Would you be saying the same thing if someone wanted to blow up your dog house?

Or what if some kid was sticking firecrackers up your cats behind?

I mean who cares about all those animals right? We should be able to blow up whatever we want to right?

Most big cities have already outlawed personal fireworks where I live in CA for as long time now.

A big problem is no one ever cleans up the mess after they set off the fire works.

Not to mention the fire danger and noise. Many cats and dogs get scared and lost.

Some people like to shoot off their guns too. People have been killed in accidents by falling bullets

We have to watch the celebration on TV or travel a long distance.

Get used to it. The British aren't going to be attacking us anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Isn't there a designated place for the fireworks? maybe away from these birds? they probably don't want the migratory pattern to deviate via fireworks.

In Canada, Well in Toronto, there are designated firework zones, usually in parks and the area is yellow taped. And I guess community actually buys the fireworks, probably $5,000~ worth, each park.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
99% of all species that have EVER lived on this planet are extinct. And that was before humans
started ever started mechanizing and polluting the planet.

We humans have only been around long enough to harm a statistical few....

That being said, sympathy is a good thing.....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
One more thing.....these dates and times and holidays and birthdays are all fictions we have
created for ourselves. Perhaps I'm just getting jaded as I grow older or perhaps just more
realistic as my knowledge increases.

It seems silly to celebrate a certain point/place/period-of-time in space that the earth occupies
as it orbits around the sun...but we sure love doing it.

Happy Birthday America....that sure is alot of candles on your cake....I hope you have thought
about making arrangements for, you know, your heirs and your estate....but I probably
shouldn't be bringing this up right now....just forget I said anything and let's celebrate
this point in the earth's orbit...
edit on 4-7-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sure fireworks are fun to watch but they're not great for the environment. The joy of fireworks is only temporary but it can permanently affect animals. We've done plenty of things that have impacted their lives. It's best we try to be fair for them as well. After all, we share this planet. So to be honest, I don't think it's stupid at all. If there's still fireworks that can be lit someplace else, then there can still be enjoyment, right?

top topics

join