It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations for emergency 30 day food supply

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 5pooky

Good advice. I visited your blog and it looks pretty good. Simple to read with lots of information.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
One really good suggestion I read on a survival thread in my early days on ATS was to place ALL grains, Rice, Pasta, oats etc in air and moisture proof bags and place them in the freezer for at least a day or two! This will kill any creature/mite etc which if not killed could ruin your supply once you can't keep it refrigerated! Just a thought!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
A 30 day supply that won't go bad quickly that you can store in your camper.

You want some stuff that you don't really have to cook in case you can't make a fire. Instant mashed potatoes, instant white rice, cream of wheat, quick oats or instant oatmeal, ramen noodles, tiny pasta, instant soup, dried celery and dried onions. You add water and wait for it to soften. Not great but edible. Cheap and lasts for years.

Canned goods don't store well in a camper.

Dried milk does not last much beyond the date stamped on the package.

Dried nuts and peanut butter can be toxic if kept too long.

Dried fruit from the grocery store can also make you sick if kept too long.

Go on ebay and buy a couple of Wise buckets of dried food designed to bug-out with. Small, light and portable, and designed to last for many years.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Here are to sites were I bought a lot of stuff, good prices.

www.majorsurplus.com...

beprepared.com...

www.earthwaveliving.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Never would have thought about canned goods "cooking" themselves. Here in south Texas, that could be a problem as it gets over 100 regularly. Stored in a trailer, that much hotter. Thanks for saving me from learning that one the hard way.

For me, practical choices for staple foods are Peanut Butter, Rice, Honey and Granola. I'm sure I'll add to that over time, but it'll be a good start and I know we could at least survive for some time on it.

I went through a hurricane a couple of years back, and it hit us pretty hard, wiped out everything. For days, no nothing. The first couple days everyone was fine, but after that you could see increasing irritation and desperation. Luckily that's when the Red Cross and HEB supermarket came to the rescue with food, water and even intermediate shelter.

Since then, we bought an atmospheric water generator, an electric backup generator, solar/crank powered radio/charger thingy, a flint fire starter and other small stuff. Campers are great in that they're completely self contained. I'm looking to add decent solar panel, which seem to have gotten much better over the past few years, and that could give us a little juice if things get really bad.

It's easy to see how a large scale catastrophe could bring any peaceful loving community to each others throats in a very short time. Having something to protect against that is just as important as food IMO.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Thanks. I share as much as I can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join