It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

and its all based on a bunch of peoples theories (in other words a bunch of guesses)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

But even here you are looking at this from a different aspect. You see this as here and right now. I think that's a biased opinion and I say this with no malice.

Go back to an almost primitive time and then ask why would a so-called primitive society show so much interest in something as simple as time? Should they have not been concerned with preserving and maintaining their ancestry and society? Or even simple survival.

They chose to keep time. Something interesting I've heard before is the Hopi were the watcher of the sky aka keeper of space.

Why?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Well this is just my uneducated opinion (I love reading about ancient cultures, but I'm no historian or archeolgist), but I think they may have been obsessed (or at least very concerned) with time simply due to survival.

Let me explain what I mean by that:

Crops and seasons. Animals and migration (for hunting). Rivers and flooding (like the flooding of the Nile that had a cycle).

Then maybe even more sophisticated things:
Beer and wine. Fermenting these and keeping them stored (I make my own beer and keeping track of when to rack the beer from it's primary to secondary is good to know, and knowing how long it's been bottled for carbonation).

Again, I'm no expert here on this, but just sounds like it would make sense to keep track of time for some of these things. Loose track of the seasons and the frost could kill your crops, people go without food.

Just guessing here.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Isn't it that 5 cycles reflects one precession of the equinoxes or something? If so, to achieve that knowledge without technology is a feat in itself. I bet no person or group of people could achieve that without technology whilst predicting future alignments at the same time.

The other question is whether maybe our own solar system is in a certain part of the galaxy when those cycles repeat.. Again it is just guess work/wait and see sort of stuff.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join