It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic impact left Milky Way 'ringing'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The Milky Way is still ''Ringing'' from a Cosmic impact that happened in the last 100 Million years
The collision with either a smaller galaxy or a hurtling ball of mysterious Dark Matter left our galaxy with unevenly distributed stars as if a wave had passed through it

"We have found evidence that our Milky Way had an encounter with a small galaxy or massive dark matter structure perhaps as recently as 100 million years ago," Larry Widrow of Queen's University in Canada said.

100 million years in space terms is like the blink of an eye
This will happen again
Graph for illustration

"We clearly observe unexpected differences in the Milky Way's stellar distribution above and below the Galaxy's midplane that have the appearance of a vertical wave -- something that nobody has seen before."

The Astronomers have not been able to identify the celestial body that passed through the Milky Way
It could have been a smaller satellite galaxy or an invisible structure such as a Dark Matter Halo

Astronomers say their simulations suggest over the next 100 million years or so, our galaxy will "stop ringing" as the stars in the solar neighborhood revert back to their equilibrium orbits -- unless we get hit again.

Unless We Get Hit Again
www.upi.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

"Our part of the Milky Way is ringing like a bell," as an aftereffect of some sort of cosmic entanglement, Brian Yanny of the U.s. Department of Energy's Fermilab said.

Will it ring again

Cran

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

S & F
That's interesting. I've also heard about a possibility of our galaxy colliding with another one and that's where we get our star from and even one that our galaxy is colliding with another one from a parallel dimension.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It's been predicted that the Milky Way will be merging/colliding with the Andromeda galaxy in the future aswell.

I've heard about a previous merge before where our galaxy ate a smaller one but i never knew the effects were still measurable

Nice find.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

So, according to these scientists, our galaxy acts as a tuning fork when disturbed? Might this suggest that our galaxy is similar to a tightly wound string (string theory) and has the capability to rebound itself to its normal state so long as the given disturbance is under a certain amount of force?

Like a guitar string ringing on after the last strum with no palm muting. My 12string can be heard resonating for approximately 3 1/2 minutes audibly. But if you get closer, you realize the tone is still there. Also, since I play rather hard with my pick, and keep tempo by palm slaps on the strings I break them now and again. The most common is the "G" string.... Lol! Im always breaking my G-string!!

I hope our galaxy doesn't have a g-string.... That would be awkward....

Nice find.... Intriguing!

ETA: Btw I'm a dude. I wear boxers and not g-string undies. That just looks uncomfortable, and I already pick my behind enough as it is. This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA, it solely contains the claims of the person writing it, regardless of whatever he does, "only on Tuesdays."

edit on 7/3/2012 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Perhaps this ringing in our galaxy affects/distorts the alignment of our solar system along the galactic plane, and because of this, our timing and perspective of our own galaxy is completely out of whack, for instance, we have been looking along a slope rather than a flat line, and because of this, we have completely misplaced our location in the galaxy.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

our galaxy is colliding with another one from a parallel dimension.

Yes i have read up on that
But can't see it

Cran

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
did humans form within the time of this 'ringing'? did the ringing begin before? if so what happens when the ringing stops? couple random questions

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have read that we were actually a part of the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy that collided with the Milky Way.

viewzone2.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I think "ringing" is a figure of speech here. I think it just means that all of the evidence is still observable because not enough time has passed to obscure it.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by warpig221

I think the term ringing refers to the radio waves the stars emit

Cran

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I didn't think of that. You're probably right.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by knoledgeispower

our galaxy is colliding with another one from a parallel dimension.

Yes i have read up on that
But can't see it

Cran

Do you mind me asking why? I'm a little curious

top topics

join