It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Towns as bug out locations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
while down at river fishing and pondering many things - as usually do .. the other day got to thinking of some of the places been and things that have seen ... anyhow recalled having seen several ghost towns far off the beaten path in the western u.s decades ago when was there ..

seem like ghost towns would make a good place to hole up in when everything goes pear shaped ... they are remote ... often forgotten offer some shelter from the elements .. even find a few odds and ends people left behind when they abandoned them ..

with the remote locations and people having largely forgot them wouldnt have many - if any people wandering through and can leave the buildings looking ramshackle nobody would think anyone lived there...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

First you need to find out why they are ghost towns.

Long-term contamination causing catastrophic environmental damage can create a ghost town. Some notable examples include: Times Beach, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis, whose residents were exposed to a high level of dioxins. Treece and Picher, twin communities straddling the Kansas-Oklahoma border. Once one of the US's largest sources of zinc and lead, over a century of unregulated disposal of mine tailings led to groundwater contamination and lead poisoning in the town's children, leading eventually to a mandatory Environmental Protection Agency buyout and evacuation. Gilman, Colorado, also a zinc and lead mining town, abandoned in 1984. Wittenoom, Western Australia, once Australia's largest source of blue asbestos, abandoned in 1966.

en.wikipedia.org...

Although, when people start bugging out, I think people will migrate towards them due to already standing buildings. So, it would be a great place to go, but don't expect to be by yourself very long.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Main problem?

My bet is that you are not the first to think of this. There are many people that have a keen interest in these old towns and many maps are available to the public.

I'm guessing that you may be surprised as you step into the local saloon.

Good Luck tho.

Peace

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have this same exact idea here in my area of Arizona. There are endless amounts of old mining mills and even more mining tunnels. Most of which require a capable 4x4 vehicle to get to. Most of them arent on maps and are near seasonal water sources.

always on my mind thats for sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I never would have thought of that.
I'm afraid that would bring back the days of the old wild west.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The best place is a place you know well with other people you can depend on. Old building can be dangerous. Rotten floorboards, wild animals, bad water. Stick with home or a tent.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am in the foothills of the rockies and I know further up into the mountains we have ghost towns and old abandoned mining towns. Most people couldn't get to them however because they require back country mountain climbing/hiking. Not easy to get to even in the summer in some cases.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a brief reply at moment ... travelling and in area with weak signal also thunderstorm so hope this posts ....

the places that recall were in the southwest u.s old mine towns from the 19th century was use standard military map at least two that found didnt show ... may be different these days with maps ...

as to it bringing back the wild west days ... think when everything goes pear shaped that will happen there anyway ...

top topics

join