It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of paying crazy prices for razorblades?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hey guys,

anyone any advice on getting longer life out of one blade? Drying after use, good cleaning or something? Someone said its cause of the cream that it deteriates so fast?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I would argue back with you that anytime there is a profit on the table a corporation will do just what it is supposed to do which is....exploit any and every weakness in the system for a gain in profit.

If that weakness means not making a product that will last 10 times longer than the current since you can't sell it for 10 times more...Guess what happens...

It happens with every single item you use in a day..think about it.

edit on 3-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

It's ridiculous how expensive razor blades are. So what is the story for shaving cream? What should I use? Can someone be more specific than, "you should use what they don't recommend?"

I just lather up the same soap I wash my face with. Erm, this seems to be straying a tad from the "Medical Conspiracies" theme....

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I do buy the most expensives ones and only use water. Lasts for 2-3 months.
I figured the price was a nessasry evil.
edit on 3-7-2012 by ManicDepresive1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by cyberjedi

ive been using the same gas station razor for a year and i shave with only water.

i dont get why people buy the fancy ones. Maybe theres something in the shaving lotion that dulls the blade?

Hmm, that actually makes a lot of sense. I have a 4 or 5 blade "thing" and haven't changed it in probably over one and a half years. I use water also. I find it actually works better that a new blade, at least by my own standards.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
YELLOW BIC,,,lol,,sharpest,long lastingist, gol darn blades i ever, cut my throat with
lol.

and there getting real hard too, find!
and what ever happened too OLD SPICE original ROUND, RED , deoderant my Dad used, and myself,, im 57,
since i was a kid,,

"me" what do you mean u cant get it???????????????
really ,,dont sell,, then how come everytime i ask the Sales guy he say's "Back-order" ,,3 months running,,

,miss my Deoderant.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A couple folks have mentioned letting the barber use a straight razor on them.
You shouldn't do this...
There is a good reason why in medicine we have to use only disposable razors, they basically have the same issues as needles. Unless its put in a chem or autoclave between uses it retains microscopic bits of flesh and blood from the previous uses. That jar of stuff that they dump them in is not equivalent to using an chem/autoclave.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberjedi
This thread is about razorblades.

Those you end up paying 3 dollars per blade, Gillette's blades. Ofcourse the company's expense is only about 6 cents per balde, thus making crude profits. It's a company, good for them!

So I went on to search for a blade that would LAST. Last a long time without replacing, without having to sharpen it. We go to a diamond coated razor blade. It turns out 'The Gillette Company' hold the patents on this product. Businesswise making a wise disicion of not marketing these, for if they did, in time they would lose ALOT of customers. Cause nobody would have to replace their blades any longer.

Capitalism directly in your face! Planned Obsolescence strikes again!

How is government enforcement of "intellectual property" considered capitalism? If i tried to sell you a new amazing product with diamond tipped razor blades the government would crack down on me because they consider Gillette company the owner of the "idea", which makes no sense to me and seems criminal.
edit on 3-7-2012 by epsilon69 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

I would argue back with you that anytime there is a profit on the table a corporation will do just what it is supposed to do which is....exploit any and every weakness in the system for a gain in profit.

Sadly, that's true. That's where government regulation comes in.

If that weakness means not making a product that will last 10 times longer than the current since you can't sell it for 10 times more...Guess what happens...

If a company feels it needs to offset the potential loss of profit by making a more durable product by increasing it's cost, that would be fair. That is one reason why people are inclined to pay more for a Mercedes versus a Kia.

It happens will every single item you use in a day..think about it.

I do, and I allow it to affect my purchases. I'll by socks at [A Well-Known Big Box Retailer] because I don't expect socks to last very long, and their house brand is inexpensive (and not made in China). In purchasing an automobile (or razor blade) I have higher expectations and do more research.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by epsilon69
How is government enforcement of "intellectual property" considered capitalism? If i tried to sell you a new amazing product with diamond tipped razor blades the government would crack down on me because they consider Gillette company the owner of the "idea", which makes no sense to me and seems criminal.
edit on 3-7-2012 by epsilon69 because: grammar

Capitalism is the private ownership of the means of production. There are no rules other than those imposed on it by government. Government is mostly controlled by capitalist interests and will, and does, make laws, and enforce them, on behalf of capitalist interests.

Capitalism isn't "free" - markets. Companies often buy copyrights in order to protect their interests. Things that could be good for us are hidden in order for companies to continue making profit by exploiting labour and consumers.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

Its the business strategy gillette works with that is capitalist to the core. Law enforcement has nothing to do with this. Patents hold intellectual propperty, and the ones holding them should be credited for them. But when something has potential to make this world a better place, out of the window this BS of you are using my patent has to go.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Hey guys,

anyone any advice on getting longer life out of one blade? Drying after use, good cleaning or something? Someone said its cause of the cream that it deteriates so fast?

Raising Hand! Raising Hand!

Here's the real deal. It doesn't matter WHAT you use. Lotions, blades etc.

The trick is to make sure you completly rinse the blade with hot or cold water, and COMPLETLY dry the blade for storage. Its the moisture that deteriorates the blades. Yeah, hacking your face hurts them too.

I heard this tip FROM a Gillette manufacturing guy. Not a sales man. I was in on a project where they were building 32 and 64 cavity tools.

Gillette makes baaaad ass tools.

Rince well and Dryem off. You'll notice immediate extended life.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Hey guys,

Definitely dry after use, and rinse often. I don't know about shaving cream deteriorating the blade, it's not really on the blade long enough to do anything?

The cheapest blades to buy are the old two sided jobs, buy them by the box of 100 for about $8.00. You have to buy a 'safety razor' and they're expensive but last forever. Downside is they are hard to use, they can cut you up bad lol.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I stopped shaving with razors a couple of years back, the main reason being I hate shaving, but I'm not really a beard toting guy either. I use an electric hair-clippers and about once every two or three weeks I trim my facial hair down to zero then leave it. This suits me fine coz using razor blades used to tear my face up.

Anyway, if gillette made longer lasting blades they're going to loose money. Built in obsolescence is everywhere in today's modern throw away society. My mom is still hanging on to a laptop she bought 9 years ago, the thing is so slow it's not funny but she refuses to buy a new as there's nothing wrong with the relic she has now. I think it's a generational thing, younger people are raised in a world where a product is out of fashion almost as soon as they've bought it, from mobile phones to mp3 players. This is capitalism baby, believe it.

I do see maturer people making more purchasing decisions based upon a how long it will last type of reasoning, I don't know if this is because people born, say in the 70's or before, can remember a world where, generally, a product was more successful because of its durability. Or, is it because you just get a little bit wiser with age? Nowadays when I'm spending my money on something I want to see if it'll take a knock or two, but maybe that's just me, I'm in my late thirties.

My advice to people who don't want to spend money on razors: battery acid, you'll never have to shave again!!! (kidding)
edit on 3-7-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I remember reading on eHow, that it was rust that makes the blade dull.

To limit that, clean the blade well, and dip the blade in rubbing alcohol to evaporate the water.

eHow - How to Preserve Razor Blades

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberjedi

A few years ago I bought some razor blades that had been frozen, and tempered. They worked for a really long time and held their sharpness. I paid a little more for them, but they were worth it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I do see maturer people making more purchasing decisions based upon a how long it will last type of reasoning,
yup,,
once used a clam shell with 4 bees inside,,
worked pretty good,,till it got jamed,, with honey

lol

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

I do see maturer people making more purchasing decisions based upon a how long it will last type of reasoning,
yup,,

lol

Razor shell clams from the beach, when the SHTF you'll be the only well groomed half starved bloke around!

For a really close shave though I would have to choose my trusty PLSK1:

edit on 3-7-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

Originally posted by BobAthome

yup,,

lol

Razor shell clams from the beach, when the SHTF you'll be the only well groomed half starved bloke around!

Agreed. And I look pretty menancing with a week to 3 month old beard for a 150lber.

At least when I scowl? My dogs ACT concerned.

That's pretty bad if your own dogs only "act" concerned.

I better nut up a notch.

*clink*

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Enjoying this thread very much and I am very interested in not spending our life savings on razor blades here.
I am very dependent on sharp blades because my whiskers grow in circles and it is a bitch to shave.
I have to go this way and then that way and then 2 more ways if I want a clean shave.
I only shave every other day because of the irritation created by my stupid whiskers growing in circles.

I us a name brand razor with just the double blades, I found that anything over two blades was a waste of money and blood as they shaved terrible in my situation....

After reading this thread I went searching and found a few links that I will share.
The first link is one I have heard of but never tried so after tonight I will give it a go and see what happens.
www.instructables.com...

www.youtube.com...

lifehacker.com...

www.squidoo.com...

To the OP S&F and a clean shave to boot:-)

Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join