It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of paying crazy prices for razorblades?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This thread is about razorblades.

Those you end up paying 3 dollars per blade, Gillette's blades. Ofcourse the company's expense is only about 6 cents per balde, thus making crude profits. It's a company, good for them!

So I went on to search for a blade that would LAST. Last a long time without replacing, without having to sharpen it. We go to a diamond coated razor blade. It turns out 'The Gillette Company' hold the patents on this product. Businesswise making a wise disicion of not marketing these, for if they did, in time they would lose ALOT of customers. Cause nobody would have to replace their blades any longer.

Capitalism directly in your face! Planned Obsolescence strikes again!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberjedi

ive been using the same gas station razor for a year and i shave with only water.

i dont get why people buy the fancy ones. Maybe theres something in the shaving lotion that dulls the blade?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Yup that's actually what it is.

The blades themselves last about 10 times as longer without using the "recommended" shaving cream.

I've tested it a few times now and since I moved to a shaving balm ( all natural oils and jazz) my blades last 6 months for cheap ones and like a year for expensive ones.

edit on 7/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I can take a half-swipe with a razor and hang it from my coarse beard hair. In reality, I should probably replace my razor after every use, because you can visually see the knicks in the blade after a single shave. I've tried many different kinds of razors and creams, and there is some difference between them, but not much. I can't even begin to try and use an electric razor. They pluck more than they shave, and even after weeks of consistent usage, I still end up with bumps and hairs missed.

I'm thinking a ceramic blade might be better than steel?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I am definitely going to try that!

What brand do you use?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I use the titanium blades, I shave my head im going bald

I use them because they seem to last the longest of any of my razors Ive used, Ive gone 6 months shaving my head and face with one of those blades.

I soak it in alcohol after use and let it dry, works wonders.

anyone have a list of manufactures that produce these diamond blades? I wana go shopping.
edit on 3-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

after every inch i use the razor i rinse it out. If you let the hair get clogged up between the blades then the cutting angle gets changed for the worse.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Petty though it may sound compared to aliens running the royal family, star and flag for uncovering a genuine conspiracy! I have noticed that it is getting more and more difficult to find standard safety razor blades. I have tried using the "multi-blade" disposables, but find that they not only do not work as well as conventional blades, they are designed to get hair clogged between the blades after only one or two uses, rendering them ineffective. Planned obsolescence. Gillette is evil.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I love this stuff.

well.ca...

A little expensive, by my skin has never felt better.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I love this stuff. well.ca... A little expensive, by my skin has never felt better.

I used to have a little one of those barber shop machines that spray out the lather (got it as a gift) I loved that thing until it broke, never bothered to replace it.

Ive been looking into different shaving creams, Ill have to try that.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
When your done shaving don't put back wet ..this deteriorates the blade... use your hair dryer to dry it ...you get a minimum 5 times the usage rate!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I bought a strait razor because I was sick of paying for blades and thought it looked like fun. Worked great but stropping is a pain. Need to watch another video on that. Maybe try the straight razor where blades are replaceable. There cheap and work great too. My barber uses one to finish up and shave the back of my neck.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I bought a strait razor because I was sick of paying for blades

I did that for a few years, it just got to be a pain, it takes skill to do it fast, otherwise it added 30 min to my routine.

Eventually just didn't care for it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Intellectual property is the most insane concept ever brought about because all it does is keep people from being able to make things better while another sits back and wreaks the fortunes of the things they ran to the patent office with first. In a capitalist society it works out FANTASTIC for the person that gets the paperwork done while the rest of the world suffers.

I have been saying this for years and years and everytime someone brings out new ideas or technologies that are not being made better due to another patent it confirms the same.

edit on 3-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

The gate keeper model is dead, and should be done away with.

Royalties on your patents for 25 years? Awesome.

The ability to take things off the market becaue it used something you created?

Screw off!

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Will last you forever as long as you take care of it:

Of course you want to be sure that your not shaving somewhere that you can be bumped or distracted with one of these suckers.

Other option is get a good electric razor. I've gotten many years (close to 20yrs) on my last one without ever changing blades. The motors broke before the blades wore out.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just cuz...

Learn how to shave like your grandpa

edit on 3-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Intellectual property is the most insane concept ever brought about because all it does is keep people from being able to make things better while another sits back and wreaks the fortunes of the things they ran to the patent office with first. In a capitalist society it works out FANTASTIC for the person that gets the paperwork done while the rest of the world suffers.

I have been saying this for years and years and everytime someone brings out new ideas or technologies that are not being made better due to another patent it confirms the same.

I would argue that intellectual property is an important motivation for progress and creativity. On the other hand, what Gillette did is simply wrong. It is one thing to purchase a patent (or song, or film-script or other form of "intellectual property") in order to develop it for one's self, and another to prevent it from being developed at all. This is a perversion of the concept and should be made illegal.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I bought a strait razor because I was sick of paying for blades and thought it looked like fun. Worked great but stropping is a pain. Need to watch another video on that. Maybe try the straight razor where blades are replaceable. There cheap and work great too. My barber uses one to finish up and shave the back of my neck.

I used a straightrazor when I was a youngster (16-17-18). That was the late '60s, though. Mr. Natural, and all that. I eventually got tired of it and went to a safety razor. I still prefer safety razors, but I can no longer find inexpensive blades that last. So I've thought about going back to the straightrazor. I might have the patience for it now....

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's ridiculous how expensive razor blades are. So what is the story for shaving cream? What should I use? Can someone be more specific than, "you should use what they don't recommend?"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join