It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Care Bill Closer to Reality, Child Support to be Extended to 26?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There are other concerns this issue raises for myself other than the question posed, and for others who are currently court ordered to pay child support through the CSEA. One concern is how they will calculate income for individuals who already pay a substantial amount of their checks for support. From what I have seen so far it will go off your gross income, and most likely as seen in the example below will be based off this, not what you have left after you pay support.

Example:

If Joe / Jill works at Walmart and is ordered to pay 50% or more of his / her check to child support because he works part - time and cannot afford insurance even though it is court ordered, will he / she then have to provide medical coverage under Obamacare for his / her dependents regardless of financial income. Let's say Joe's monthly income is grossed at 1400 dollars, then 50 % of that goes to child support leaving him 700 dollars and either a penalty or a amount that eventually will exceed his income up to the lowest tier of coverage under Obamacare which is the bronze level.

My fear from this is men / woman who pay support and have very little income left, will eventually find themselves incarcerated being unable to afford their support, due to penalties or the high cost of purchasing coverage.

thespearhead.com

The Supremes have set the stage for the full implementation of Obamacare, and yet people are not fully aware of the consequences of this enormous, bloated bill.

A provision of Obamacare that divorced fathers ought to pay close attention to is the extension of “dependent children” to age 26 (from Cornell’s law blog):

edit on 3-7-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I remember reading somewhere that the penalty has no teeth. In other words, it's not criminal if you don't pay it. Not sure what would happen beyond that. The IRS may be hounding you but you wont go to jail.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5
reply to post by Daedal

I remember reading somewhere that the penalty has no teeth. In other words, it's not criminal if you don't pay it. Not sure what would happen beyond that. The IRS may be hounding you but you wont go to jail.

I'm not concerned with the IRS, but rather what happens to people who already pay a substantial amount of their income to child support, and cannot afford to pay the penalty or premiums. Question: When the IRS collects the penalty / tax, will it not be from your income tax?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

That would be my guess. They may take it from your refund if you have one coming. I doubt they'll take it from each check throughout the year.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I better not have to pay child support till my kids are 26. Is this for real? Because I knew they were extending how long you can keep them on your insurance but not child support. That is going to suck. Is this something that doesn't affect people paying child support now but just new people? I knew I didn't want this health care. This just puts the icing on the cake.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Child support til the age of 26 is ludicrous. In some states, it is to the age of 21 under certain conditions and that is insane.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Child support til the age of 26 is ludicrous. In some states, it is to the age of 21 under certain conditions and that is insane.

No doubt.. I was on my own and paying my own way by then. Why the hell should I still be paying my crazy ex wife child support for a kid that has moved out or should have moved out already?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTardis
I better not have to pay child support till my kids are 26. Is this for real? Because I knew they were extending how long you can keep them on your insurance but not child support. That is going to suck. Is this something that doesn't affect people paying child support now but just new people? I knew I didn't want this health care. This just puts the icing on the cake.

It's not specific in this regard, but does raise the question if indeed it will affect child support considering the age of dependents upped to 26.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What makes you think Obamacare extends the age of dependent children to 26? It simply lets young adults be covered under their parents insurance.

Child support age is determined by each state. But Obamacare isn't about child support AT ALL.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What makes you think Obamacare extends the age of dependent children to 26? It simply lets young adults be covered under their parents insurance.

Child support age is determined by each state. But Obamacare isn't about child support AT ALL.

I'm not saying that it does sir, it's merely a question that I am researching. But claiming that Obamacare doesn't affect child support is incorrect.

The pdf below should help to clarify the issue the role of child support has in the ACA, it also goes into to detail about certain aspects like: Impact on child support, enforcement, requirements, penalties.

ACA and the child support enforcement

edit on 3-7-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The wording of the quote provided is a little confusing. I believe this part of the bill has been in effect for over a year now.

When I turned twenty-one, I lost health insurance coverage through my father's provider. Shortly after that, some legislation was approved and now the insurance company is legally obligated to cover me until I'm twenty-six. I'm twenty-three now.

The article that is cited for your thread is framing this part of the health care bill so that it seems like it's a bad thing when, in my case at least, it isn't. However, forcing people to buy health insurance is going to benefit insurance companies more than the general population. Many people will only be able to afford the least comprehensive coverage. As a result, the insurance companies take in money and keep most of it because the least comprehensive policies only cover things that have the least probability of happening. It's a scam.
edit on 4-7-2012 by darkmistandtrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I don't have any qualms with the dependent age being raised to 26, as in your case it helped you obtain insurance, which is great.

Whether or not it is a scam isn't the purpose of the thread, it's law so we have to deal with it the best way we can, and trying to fully understand it's implications for father's who pay child support is the idea.

The objective is to understand whether or not the dependent age being raised to 26 will result in individuals being required through CSE to uphold coverage for kids who fit into this bracket.

I don't have the answer to that question, but may be sometime soon we'll know.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Healthcare bill is long overdue. Why should the healthcare costs of minimum wage workers be unloaded on the public? So that the companies who make money with minimum wage can keep all the profits to themselves?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5
reply to post by Daedal

It would be quite easy for the IRS or Federal Government to give it teeth.

Simply state any money credited towards your taxes, whether through withholding or whatever, goes towards healthcare fines first.
Any shortfall then becomes a shortage on income tax, rather than healthcare fines, and now can be prosecuted.
edit on 4-7-2012 by Dreamwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brianmg5

Is due to the fact that nowhere in the bill is references to how the IRS will be enforcing the tax or penalties for that, it has to be reworded and send to the house as a tax.

So as the bill stand you do not have to pay for any penalties, do not expect them any time soon if Obama loses the elections.

Now as for Child support, well in Puertorrico the Island have a law that if you child can not pay for child support for their own kids and you the parent do not want your adult child to go to jail you have to pay the support for him or her

My sister have a son that is 21 with a baby he doesn't work so she to keep him out of jail pays for the grandchild support.

Isn't that peachy.
The Obama care is the most tax ridden bill in the history of the US that will target the middle class. But that is Ok as long as your hard earned tax dollars goes to support somebody else that do not pay a penny, and as for the rich hell they have not problem with health care do they?

edit on 4-7-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join