It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Tornado crash: Two aircrew recovered and two missing after fighter jets plunged into North Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

RAF Tornado crash: Two aircrew recovered and two missing after fighter jets plunged into North Sea

www.mirror.co.uk

Two people have been recovered and two remain unaccounted for after two fighter jets plunged into the Moray Firth off the coast of Scotland
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Tornado aircraft have been involved in crashes in Scotland in recent years.

In January last year two RAF crew were rescued after their Tornado GR4 jet came down in the sea off the west coast of Scotland.

The crew, from RAF Lossiemouth, ejected from the plane before it landed in the waters at Loch Ewe, near Gairloch, Wester Ross.

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The GR4 is the most heavily used, and largest numbered of the Tornado aircraft. These two were apparently on a simulated bomb mission at the time of the accident. No word yet on whether they collided or not.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

My favorite jet, the Tornado. Such a capable and cheap to build aircraft.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by leosnake

My favorite jet, the Tornado. Such a capable and cheap to build aircraft.

I'd like to see your definition of cheap lol

I think they are a pile of oily, dirty, leaking, overly loud underperforming crap ! ha ha ha can you tell I dont like them?

On a serious note though hope the crews managed to escape !

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The RAF have a serious problem with these piles of junk, if you look at the stats, that's some form of catastrophe every year for the last 3 years, including 2 in the last 2.

So all that meaning, there's probably going to be another incident this year

Outdated and falling apart

edit on 3-7-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

And have you really looked at hard numbers for the last few years? There were 142 GR1s upgraded to the GR4/GR4A standard. They have flown in essentially every conflict since Desert Storm, and will be around until between 2015 and 2018. They fly a lot of hours, and those hours are flown in one of the regions that's hardest on an airframe.

This particular incident, and this is my opinion only, I'm willing to bet that the two crew members that are missing, were attempting to rejoin on the other aircraft, and something went wrong. I'm willing to bet that they're going to find that there was a midair collision between the two aircraft.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
A military source, that wasn't named, has said that the aircraft collided in thick fog during a low level training flight. This hasn't been confirmed yet.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
One of the two crew members that were pulled out of the water has died, the other is in critical but stable condition. Search and Rescue efforts for the other two have been called off. The RAF has said they have "no expectation" of recovering the missing two, given the amount of time that has passed, and the conditions in the area.
edit on 7/4/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
The RAF have a serious problem with these piles of junk, if you look at the stats, that's some form of catastrophe every year for the last 3 years, including 2 in the last 2.

So all that meaning, there's probably going to be another incident this year

Outdated and falling apart

edit on 3-7-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

If you follow military circles, you would be quick to notice that there are six or seven F-16 and F-18 crashes throughout the year globally.

Nothing to do with age or even fleet condition, and everything to do with how often they are flown - up the flight hours and the risk of an incident goes up as well, and the RAF operate at a high tempo.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

Add to that the type of mission, the weather, and a number of other factors that can and can't be controlled, and you have an actual very good safety record by just about every military aircraft out there.

To back up the comment, look at the safety record of the cargo haulers, as compared to the fast movers. KC-10s and C-17s have both lost one aircraft (the KC-10 burned up on the ground), the KC-135 has had a number of accidents, but the last serious one that I can think of was in 1999 and was on the ground during maintenance at the depot.

The F-15 and F-16 fleet, which have at least as high an operational tempo as the cargo/tanker fleet average 3.5 losses per 100,000 flight hours. When you have an aircraft that operates in the area that the Tornado, Eagle, Falcon, and Hornet all do you have higher losses. Bombing, and ACM even in practice have the highest loss rates of every mission among the fighter fleet. Just a couple of years ago the USAF lost four aircraft in a few months over the Gulf of Mexico to midair collisions during training.

new topics

top topics

join