Taking The Heat For Taking A Stand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hello all,

Perhaps it is me and my big mouth, expressed on the internet, which is getting me into trouble, but it seems that I have been running into people on the net (NOT ATS) that have been having problems with things that I post. They tell me I shouldn't post it, shouldn't say it, am stupid if I believe the way I do, etc.

I have been called below-normal IQ, a tin-foil hatter, a moron, an idiot, ignorant, stupid, and a dumb tea-bagger from Texas, because of my stance on disagreeing with the Supreme Court decision on Obamacare. I have been called rude and harsh because I called Tom Hanks a "prostitute" for taking money to make a movie "proving" that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman and sole perpetrator of the assassination of JFK. I have been called a kook because I tend to believe in things like omens and karma.

I know the internet is a minefield of people who will beat you down for expressing what you believe in, while fully asserting their right to insult you for it, but it has been ratcheted up to a whole new level in the past week or so.

I never have a problem with people on ATS or any other internet forum for saying what they believe. If I find it too hard to believe myself, I simply move on and find something else. When people post how great they think Obamacare is, I don't jump on and call them a moron, I just move on, knowing that I disagree and leaving it at that. On ATS, if I disagree and can cite reasons for my disagreement, I will do so, without killing the messenger.

Yes, my opinions are strong, and sometimes I use forceful language, but am I not entitled to say what I believe? Can people not see the hypocrisy in insulting somebody for their beliefs, yet wanting their own opinions to be sacrosanct? Telling somebody that they are an idiot for the way they look at something only causes more division. It has been getting super ugly since the Supreme Court decision.

I find this to be symptomatic of the America we have become. This is obviously not new human behavior, but are any of my ATS brethren out there running up against a brick wall for saying how they feel about issues? Are y'all getting attacked and insulted for taking a stand?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Rant over.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
When someone resorts to personal insults, you've pretty much won the argument regardless of whether you were right or wrong. It's impossible not to tread on peoples' toes these days.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Awwwww Sweetie...are you banging your head against the facebook wall. I did that too, in the past. I decided that ATS, and only a few outside friends could really understand who I really was inside. Other internet places I tried to express my views on, just seemed to gang up on me. Sheeple run in herds ya know...

Sorry you are feeling low....don't take it personally...you are well loved here....

Des

edit on 3-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I have always found your posts on ATS respectful my friend. Don't allow people who cannot apply critical thinking skills versus spouting talking points ingrained in their head by the MSM to get you down!

If people like you and I give up, then what are we left with? MSM TALKING POINTS, brought to you by BIG BROTHER!

I truely understand your frustrations but if you are talking about Facebook................delete your account!!! I deleted mine over 5 months ago, and I must tell you, it has been a blessing to not have to argue with people who can't understand that the two party system is nothing more than a two headed ONE PARTY MONSTER!

Take a break if you have too! Nothing wrong with that! But don't give up until there is absolutely no doubt in your mind, that you can't help to wake someone up to make a difference in our world!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I know the internet is a minefield of people who will beat you down for expressing what you believe in, while fully asserting their right to insult you for it, but it has been ratcheted up to a whole new level in the past week or so.

School is out, this is how they are taught in school to have a discussion. You might want to watch Idiocracy, the movie, these are what our "outcomes based education" produces. At least 2.5 generations baby... just wait until they all grab those homeland security jobs. This is a good time to learn to laugh at life.

I always thought your comments were pretty well-rounded (for the record).
edit on 3-7-2012 by ScatterBrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I appreciate those that refuse to just arbitrarily agree with me. I'm a rock-headed donkey, and I know it, but I have lots of respect for those that will call me on my bullcrap. The argument may get heated, but I have never carried a grudge from a single disagreement.

Sorry you're getting the insults, OP. Maybe your audience just sucks. =\

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You guys are SO SMART!!! How did y'all know that it was Facebook that was getting on my nerves??

Can't fool y'all! Might as well have said that Facebook was the offender. I keep on FB because I have friends all over the world, and it is the easiest way to keep in touch with them, but this past week I have been throttled and thumped upside the head more than in the past 3 years. My favorite was me being called a "dumb tea-bagger from Texas", when, although I now live in Texas, I spent the first 40 years of my life in California, and and am an uber-independent. Gotta love people who insist on putting you into an erroneous stereotype just because of where you happen to live.

I find that, taking a stand on that particular site, is like asking to be attacked. It's absolutely nuts. And yet, I cannot stop myself from taking said stand. Perhaps I am a masochist. Perhaps I expect too much from people who are wholly indoctrinated into things like celebrity worship and the official story line.

I must be nuts. I just can't shut up, though. I am driven to say how I feel. Is there any hope for me?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Captain america said it best.

Doesn’t matter what the press says.

Doesn’t matter what the politicians or the mobs say.

Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we

believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree

beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world – “No, you move.”
edit on 3-7-2012 by benrl because: pic

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

No, you aren't nuts. You are just used to posting here with more *open minded* people. I have learned a lot from your posts. You can't imagine how refreshing and educational your posts are. Yes, you are opinionated, but that is you. Nothing wrong with you in my book....

Screw the paper thin minds giving you grief on FB. When they turn sideways...they disappear I bet

You'll never disappear...you have substance my Dear.

Des

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Better yet.. get off of facebook.. the mecca of the lost.

Dont sweat it. People just like to be assholes anonymously because over the net you cant knock their teeth out. Its the outlet for the passive aggressive. The mecca for the moron. The forum for the foolish... blah blah. you get the idea. The mentality of the facebook obsessed pretty well prevents any open mindedness or critical thought. You and your posts are too good for facebook.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There is never shame in NOT being a flip flopper...period.

I have great respect for those who can voice their opinion/stance without backing down, even if I disagree with them. At least they stand for something. Those that change their stance with the direction the wind blows at every corner tend to lose my respect as they are "Yes Men" and instead of standing for something...they fall for anything.

I have always enjoyed your posts here and hope you continue to fight the ignorance and ignore the ones who are angered by the fact that you actually believe in something regardless of what it is.

I am not a member of Facebook and hear so much about it that it makes me glad.
I think it is more like a high school popularity contest over there, thus why the tides change every .5 seconds.

Keep up the good fight and don't let them bring you down!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

I must be nuts. I just can't shut up, though. I am driven to say how I feel. Is there any hope for me?

Let's hope to goodness NOT!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
FaceBook's useless for actually debating anything, it has to be said.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I want to thank you all for the kind words of support! Sometimes I feel like a thin blade of grass in a hurricane, hanging on and being battered, but I plan on still being rooted firmly when the storm is over.

I am very much like my father was: Bull-headed, opinionated, and will never back down from a firmly-held belief.

I had thought that my postings here were just hot air, it is so wonderful to know that people actually read and appreciate what I have to say. It's okay if you don't agree, but the appreciation is awesome!!

I guess I'm overly sensitive lately. One of my favorite kitties died at age 5 from kidney failure out of the blue last week, my youngest is moving 1000 miles away in a month so my nest is now truly empty, and we are struggling financially. But I shouldn't snivel over it, because we can still eat, pay our bills, my daughter is healthy and happy, and I have people here on this great site that are supportive and actually give a damn.

Thanks to all of you!!!
edit on 3-7-2012 by FissionSurplus because: correction

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I have another comment for you.. LOL! I was reading in 2 threads now where you made a perfectly normal post.. and someone was rude as hell toward you. Now, this annoys me and I see it a lot out of new members. Just rude and argumentative for no reason other than they can be. Please please see it for what it is and hang in there. Im getting pretty sick of this crap lately myself. Just wanted you to know that things havent gone unnoticed.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thomas Jefferson said

In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

I'm so glad we have each other here. Don't any of you ever stop being yourselves and standing up for your principles. OP- I always like to see your appearance on a thread- always a voice of reason and good manners.

I'm not on FB myself, but I do have quite a few friends and aquaintances who I really can't speak my mind with. We have conversational "no fly zones" - I'm know many others here on ATS have the same experience. Far too many people just adopt the opinions from the MSM so they don't have to think about anything too deeply, and they resent anyone challenging them to think. When you're more informed than they bother to be, they'll bite into you for that reason alone- so it may not even be a case of them actually disagreeing with your opinion as much as a resentment that you've made them look ignorant.

Oh- and another quote I just thought of: Will Rogers said that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

How true,

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thanks, Advantage, I appreciate that. Some of the newer members are rude, snotty, argumentative, and add NOTHING of value to the threads they participate in. I figure that they must either be young and ignorant, or miserable in their lives so they have to pick on people through the anonymity of the internet in order to feel better about their sad existence. They pick the more polite posters to pull this crap on. Just like junior high school.

I keep plugging along, trying to show by example, that you can disagree and still not be an a-hole, but this lesson appears to be lost on many of them.

I have had a few times where I have had to walk away from my beloved ATS because I was ready to explode and lose my cool. I won't lie, I've completely lost it on facebook and called some posters every vile curse word I could think of, but ATS holds their posters to a higher standard and that is what I try to adhere to while on here.

I will not stoop to their level, but it is damned tempting. Again, I'm taking heat just for taking a stand, or even offering an opinion on a subject. This week has been awful, many people have been really nasty. I'm gonna be a post-toastie if I keep taking heat like this. No matter though....I'm sure I'll be here long after those flamers are gone.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

Excellent post, seaside! Will Rogers was a wise man indeed.

I had been playing the "say nothing offensive or controversial" while on facebook, but I guess lately I want people to know where I stand, and why. My daughter says that those idiots are just d-bags, and why do I let it get to me? I have no answer for her, except that it is disappointing that most people become fearful animals who get upset when you say anything other than vague positive platitudes, or try to get them to think about something. And EVERYBODY on there is stuck in the two-party paradigm. Ugh. No wonder this country is in the toilet.

You should have seen the FB flamewar I got into when I posted something about the potential for RFID chips in the new Obamacare law, and then one of my friends reposted it. One of her friends skipped over her and then went after me directly. It is truly ugly, and I lost my temper big-time. Wish I could repost it here, but T&C regulations wouldn't permit it. I could blank out all the cuss words, but then it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Fission, I have always appreciated your posts here. Don't worry about a thing. stand up for what you believe. Hugs!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you, nightstar. I suppose I can do nothing but stand firm. A leopard cannot change his spots, and I can't change my stubborn insistence when it comes to my beliefs .

Everybody who has responded to this have shown themselves to be good people, true-blue and the best ATS has to offer. Hugs back atcha!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join