It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jeff buckley: grace {legacy edition} review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
On a random impulse that poked me in the eye last night, I decided to purchase the Legacy Edition of "Grace" by Jeff Buckley.

"Haven't you heard?"

To much excitement and anticipation, it did not hold to what I had expected. In my humble opinion it was pretty much a mix of the original Grace album and his "Live in Chicago" DVD, apart from the second disc which holds all the real goodies. The video quality of the new take on "Eternal life" was in horrible quality compared to what LIC contained, also, The "Making of Grace - EPK" was also in poor quality, which can be found on LIC aswell, but better again.

The original album was apparently digitally remastered, but I could hear no difference in this first disc really. I did like the new artwork on the actual CD compared to the original plain red design. Not much difference other than the surreal emotional planes that this disc can take you. A must for those who can find a way to appreciate it.

The second disc, which also seemed to be the highlight in my opinion, held songs that were either cut/rare (previously only available scarcely on the internet and via sketchy bootlegs). It opens with "Forget Her", a track replaced on "Grace" due to personal reasons by Jeff, with "So Real". An equal trade off as both songs feel like diving into an emotionally beautiful bowl of jello. Attached are takes that span from his early days to his death, covers from idols Bob Dylan, and Nina Simone, only to name a few. Jeff was known well for his way of projecting the music he grew up with and loved towards those in the audience, such is the way of life when one begins their career by playing in coffee house's, an intimate arrangement of scenery.

The third disc, a complimentary DVD, contains all the Grace videos and the "Making of Grace - EPK" which holds intimate interviews of the late artist, where one can really see a tender and sincere personality, and how it holds true to his works. A very nice touch, which can also be found on the "Live in Chicago" DVD as I had mentioned before. A nice touch I might say, for the sake and convience of all forms of media being put together in one little package.

Overall, this package is a perfect buy for any Jeff Buckley fan or collector of his works. I still highly recommend it for first listeners who want a broad sense of taste and for long time veterans who know it all to well, however, I must say that I am more or so satisfied with the original. A simple extension to keep the legacy alive, this special edition of "Grace" serves it purpose well.

deaf fences hit

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by deaf fences hit]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Umm, I think I gotta say it's awesome to find someone on this board who loves Buckley as much as I do.
Cheers.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verdis Quo
Umm, I think I gotta say it's awesome to find someone on this board who loves Buckley as much as I do.
Cheers.

Yes indeed Verdis, same to you. I also would like to see how many here on ATS feel even somewhat inspired by his music. So have no fear, show your selves!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I show my hands! I heart Jeff Buckley, what a voice!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have to get his! The live in Chicago DVD was really great. I have 'forget her' on 'Mystery whiteboy' . That is also really good.

Havn't you heard is great. My sweetheart the drunk just shows how much more he had to give.

top topics

join