It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 commodities you didn't know were scarce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
ca.finance.yahoo.com...

It’s no secret that the global population is consuming various resources at a rate faster than they can be produced, the most notable example being fossil fuels. Everyone knows that we’re rapidly depleting our stocks of petroleum and natural gas. But maple syrup? Helium? Water? Here, a look at eight commodities you didn’t know were scarce.

Syrup
Helium
Chocolate
Phosphorus
Rare Earth Metals

Rare Earth Metals is a very interesting one...47 inch flat screens are only about 800$, same with top-o-the-line laptops, which in the next decade could sky-rocket due to lack of these metals. People will freak over this before they will a 8$ bottle of water.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Rare earths aint that rare technically and some are not worth recycling see El Reg due to the labour costs required to reclaim them versus the cost to dig up new stuff at the moment so save up those old drives the heads may be worth more than copper eventually

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I knew about most of these. Phosphorus surprised me. But my main concern there is the upcoming tequila shortage. It's one of the things helping me to not become the crazed gunman you see on the news.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
ca.finance.yahoo.com...

It’s no secret that the global population is consuming various resources at a rate faster than they can be produced, the most notable example being fossil fuels. Everyone knows that we’re rapidly depleting our stocks of petroleum and natural gas. But maple syrup? Helium? Water? Here, a look at eight commodities you didn’t know were scarce.

Syrup
Helium
Chocolate
Phosphorus
Rare Earth Metals

Rare Earth Metals is a very interesting one...47 inch flat screens are only about 800$, same with top-o-the-line laptops, which in the next decade could sky-rocket due to lack of these metals. People will freak over this before they will a 8$ bottle of water.

Maple Syrup: A Sticky Situation

You’ve been warned: The sweetest part of your Sunday brunch is in danger.

well that part of the list is a farce, since 95% of all maple syrups on the shelf today are primarily made from HFCS and not maple syrup.

the part about water is scary and pretty much puts the rest in the gutter as being important to our survival.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have read that by 2030 chocolate will be considered as much a luxury as caviar, with a single bar costing up to 15 dollars.
Drought, soil depletion and diminishing harvests in Africa will lead to soaring prices.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I already started seeing most chocolates esp by Nestle brand, stating "Donations to Support Cocoa farmers in "some country""

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

It’s no secret that the global population is consuming various resources at a rate faster than they can be produced, the most notable example being fossil fuels.

not to knock your thread F&S just wanted to point out that the above is dishonest;
the US being 4.6% of the population is consuming over 33% percent of the worlds resources

that doesn't include the rest of the western world

only a radical paradigm shift, a catastrophe or a jihad/crusade against the CONSUMERS is going to solve the problem

new topics

top topics

join