Report: Ancient relics discovered in Peru

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

One of the relics is believed to be a precursor to an Incan sundial, while 18 niches painted in white on the walls may have held ancestral mummies, Joseph Ochatoma, leading the excavation, told the newspaper.

Ochatoma added that the reception room is shaped like the letter "D" and is surrounded by platforms.

This is very interesting. Do I understand this correctly? I'm trying to find a picture of this.

The light comes into the room and acts like a D shaped sundial. The niches contained mummies set at even divisions of time?

My guess then is that during a couple of times of the year the sun fails to shine into this complex, and this is a metaphor for death and rebirth.

A similiar metaphor to Newgrange, Ireland but here the light only shines into the depths of the tomb on Winter Solstice.

Same concept different context.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I wanted to thank everybody for their replies.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Ancient relics discovered in Peru:

LIMA — Archeologists in Peru have discovered a sundial, an underground tunnel and a reception room in a complex dating back to the Wari civilization, El Comercio newspaper reported Sunday.

One of the relics is believed to be a precursor to an Incan sundial, while 18 niches painted in white on the walls may have held ancestral mummies, Joseph Ochatoma, leading the excavation, told the newspaper.

Ochatoma added that the reception room is shaped like the letter "D" and is surrounded by platforms.

The discovery was made several months ago but only disclosed recently.

The complex, situated in the the Andean region of Ayacucho was discovered in 1931. The first excavations there began in 1942 but were cut short due to budget shortfalls.

Just thought I'd post this little story. Peru seems to be a news archeological hotspot this week. I think of all the Ancient Cultures and Civilizations of the Americas the two that impress me the most are the Inca's of Peru and the Olmec of Mexico.

Because their origins are not completely understood yet. They both have mysterious ruins that are credited to them yet, they both talk about a "previous time" when others created certain locations which they themselves came upon in their earliest history

I think the farther we go back in their history the more we'll find out about who were the original builders of some of the sites in question.

As always, stay tuned
edit on 3-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

this is no different than people labeling things being built by giants, because the idea that humans made the things seem impossible, even when it can be shown humans can do it.
many things are built by people and then their descendants forget their ancestors built the structures, due to war or being driven off of the land.
i don't doubt those people believed that some mythical race built the structure far into the past, people make up stories all the time to answer something they don't know about.

most meso-american archaeologists name the olmecs and the incas as the builders, because the buildings show signs of the type of architecture of those peoples, whether the peoples themselves believed it hardly matters.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ecued3720

Im so glad you responded.

Me and my best friend were considering taking a vacation and exploring a bit. The problem is, I'm not too familiar with what we should expect...

Natives - Friendly? paranoid? Are we likely to get killed, taken or hacked apart?

Guides - Should we decide to do such things, I know I may have watched too much tv in the past, but what are the chances of getting taken advantage of or worse?

I seriously would like to visit and explore some of these places, and more so deep in the jungles where we might stumble upon unknown history, but no so deep that we're never heard from again. lol

What I was refering to... One day I kicked back and decided to play with google earth. In alot of places away from people, cities and towns, you can see deep in the trees, "temple tops" for a lack of better words. You can see raised areas in a generaly level terrain, seemly holding onto shadows of what seems to be man made. I've seen alot of this just by inching over ever so slowly, of the deep jungled parts of S.A.

Over the next few days perhaps, maybe later today even, I'll muck around with it again and take some screenshots of what I am refering to. This is what caught my attention and made me want to do a little exploring in the first place. These places are usually away from any kind of modern village or city, though, and mostly found by following the many fingers of the amazon. Damn that's a huge river with so many branches!

By the way, if you do visit these palces often enough, we might have to speak more on this and perhaps plan a decent trip. Archeology facinates me to every degree. There is nothing more interesting to me than ancient history.

I'll get ya some info later on this. Maybe in the form of a thread. Either way, I'll keep ya posted.
edit on 5-7-2012 by article because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stonesplitter

Originally posted by Hanslune

Now the Olmecs are another case. For them I have to ask, where did they state that? There were pre-Olmec societies and cultures in the area where the Olmec homeland is -but not granted the title civilizations by archaeologists

The Olmecs existed as a fully-fledged civilisation in Mesoamerica from approx' 1,600 BC - 400 BC, with evidence of 'pre-Olmec' activity in the region since 2,500 BC, but it wasn't until around 1,500 BC that they became the dominant power in Mesoamerica.
Link

Not really sure what you're asking as you seem a bit vague, but........yeah, they were a civilization.

I was referring to the pre-dynastic cultures that existed in the area where the Olmec later arose not the Olmecs themselves. I believe Slayer meant to say 'Aztecs' who were asked by the Spanish about various ruins, some of which they had not built.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Many of the sight in Central America have been mislabeled as work of the Inca, Aztec, Mayans etc.. specially the ones with megaliths in them, those were there long before and even the Spanish admit that the locals everywhere told them so.

The archaeologists that later came to work on them just refuse to admit that and puts them in the timeline of their choice, very sad though.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eniii
reply to post by Hanslune

Many of the sight in Central America have been mislabeled as work of the Inca, Aztec, Mayans etc.. specially the ones with megaliths in them, those were there long before and even the Spanish admit that the locals everywhere told them so.

The archaeologists that later came to work on them just refuse to admit that and puts them in the timeline of their choice, very sad though.

I believe the story you are referring to is about the Spanish asking the Aztecs about Teotihuacan. However I've never seen the origin on that story.

So what evidence do you have that the archaeologists misdated them or what evidence do you have that they are of x culture from y year?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join