It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Ancient relics discovered in Peru

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ancient relics discovered in Peru:

LIMA — Archeologists in Peru have discovered a sundial, an underground tunnel and a reception room in a complex dating back to the Wari civilization, El Comercio newspaper reported Sunday.

One of the relics is believed to be a precursor to an Incan sundial, while 18 niches painted in white on the walls may have held ancestral mummies, Joseph Ochatoma, leading the excavation, told the newspaper.

Ochatoma added that the reception room is shaped like the letter "D" and is surrounded by platforms.

The discovery was made several months ago but only disclosed recently.

The complex, situated in the the Andean region of Ayacucho was discovered in 1931. The first excavations there began in 1942 but were cut short due to budget shortfalls.

Just thought I'd post this little story. Peru seems to be a news archeological hotspot this week. I think of all the Ancient Cultures and Civilizations of the Americas the two that impress me the most are the Inca's of Peru and the Olmec of Mexico.

Because their origins are not completely understood yet. They both have mysterious ruins that are credited to them yet, they both talk about a "previous time" when others created certain locations which they themselves came upon in their earliest history

I think the farther we go back in their history the more we'll find out about who were the original builders of some of the sites in question.

As always, stay tuned
edit on 3-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
redacted! Sorry Slayer misread that
edit on 3/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

No offense Hans but you kind of butchered what I wrote there.

I qualified what you quoted me with the following...

I think of all the Ancient Cultures and Civilizations of the Americas the two that impress me the most are the Inca's of Peru and the Olmec of Mexico.

Seems a bit out of context.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

No offense Hans but you kind of butchered what I wrote there.

I qualified what you quoted me with the following...

I think of all the Ancient Cultures and Civilizations of the Americas the two that impress me the most are the Inca's of Peru and the Olmec of Mexico.

Seems a bit out of context.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Cool thread slayer!

It seems the Andes have still a lot of surprises for us.
Thanks for bringing this here.
S&F

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
redacted! Sorry Slayer misread that

I did not misread that. You gave an opinion on something you quoted out of context just like you're doing again here...

Now the Olmecs are another case. For them I have to ask, where did they state that?

I don't know what you mean by asking "where did they state that"

I gave an opinion. Who are the "they" you're referring to?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I did not misread that. You gave an opinion on something you quoted out of context just like you're doing again here...

No, I said I, me, not you misread it, my mistake, mine, mine alone!!

I was asking about where the Olmec stated what you said below

They both have mysterious ruins that are credited to them yet, they both talk about a "previous time" when others created certain locations which they themselves came upon in their earliest history

What is the source for that? for the Olmecs?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Nice find.

The South American temples and ruins are something I really enjoy checking out. In some respects they interest me more than a lot of Egyptian finds, mainly because there's no Hawass giving the old "Nothing to see here, move along" line when something pops up. I'm working on my second thread at the moment, primarily about stone work in these parts. I never get tired of this place, It's full of mystery!

Edit:
Not me mate, I don't star lads who are trying to run with both shoe laces tied together!

Again, nice find

edit on 3/7/12 by Stonesplitter because: clarification

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't know who starred your reply and why [Obviously an overzealous fan] because that's a piss poor recovery attempt. You know what you wrote and then edited it out after I called you on it.

I was referring to the Incas when they were asked by the Spanish about places such as Tiahuanaco & Puma Punku etc. While the Olmec are often given credit for locations that are unlike other Olmec sites and not like anything they are known to have created.

Is there anything on this thread's topic you'd like to contribute or are you going to play that tired old game of dissecting misquotes and or taking things out of context while attempting to portray yourself as being more knowledgeable?

That game gets pretty old...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I don't know who starred your reply and why [Obviously an overzealous fan] because that's a piss poor recovery attempt. You know what you wrote and then edited it out after I called you on it.

I apologized for MY error and removed it...what more would you have liked me to have done?

I was referring to the Incas when they were asked by the Spanish about places such as Tiahuanaco & Puma Punku etc. While the Olmec are often given credit for locations that are unlike other Olmec sites and not like anything they are known to have created.

Yes and the in the case of the Inca they were referring to the multiple civilizations that had existed before their culture group rose up. They were a very recent group. As for the Olmec I believe others, not them have made the claim. As far as I know I know of no Olmec inscription stating such - which is possible as their were, like most places predecessor, cultures in the area they arose.

Is there anything on this thread's topic you'd like to contribute or are you going to play that tired old game of dissecting misquotes and or taking things out of context while attempting to portray yourself as being more knowledgeable?

Now come on Slayer I made one mistake, apologized and redacted, I think you are over reacting. So what do you think the Inca's meant when they told the Spanish that? Something other than known cultures made x and y?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So what do you think the Inca's meant when they told the Spanish that? Something other than known cultures made x and y?

You only have to look at many stone structures in Peru and you see easily, that later people builded small stone walls (with low skills/tech) on top of high skill HUGE stones (for worshipping probaly), that even says enough?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Now the Olmecs are another case. For them I have to ask, where did they state that? There were pre-Olmec societies and cultures in the area where the Olmec homeland is -but not granted the title civilizations by archaeologists

The Olmecs existed as a fully-fledged civilisation in Mesoamerica from approx' 1,600 BC - 400 BC, with evidence of 'pre-Olmec' activity in the region since 2,500 BC, but it wasn't until around 1,500 BC that they became the dominant power in Mesoamerica.
Link

Not really sure what you're asking as you seem a bit vague, but........yeah, they were a civilization.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stonesplitter

Now the Olmecs are another case. For them I have to ask, where did they state that? There were pre-Olmec societies and cultures in the area where the Olmec homeland is -but not granted the title civilizations by archaeologists

The Olmecs existed as a fully-fledged civilisation in Mesoamerica from approx' 1,600 BC - 400 BC, with evidence of 'pre-Olmec' activity in the region since 2,500 BC, but it wasn't until around 1,500 BC that they became the dominant power in Mesoamerica.
Link

Not really sure what you're asking as you seem a bit vague, but........yeah, they were a civilization.

I believe he was referring to the pre-olmec builders whom haven't been graced with modern archaelogists classification of civilisation because they dont know diddlysquat about them...great thred slayer, always throwing up something for my brain to entertain.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They both have mysterious ruins that are credited to them yet, they both talk about a "previous time" when others created certain locations which they themselves came upon in their earliest history

That's fascinating. Slayer I would like to see you compile a thread about that. I knew nothing about either, and think I may actually leave my internet bubble and do more reading.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You have to understand that due to some....biases....not many people wish to give the Olmec's credit for many things.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

awesome...this reminds me of this book The Celestine Prophesy...if you havent read it, I highly recommend it. The sequel is pretty good too. Alot of new age ideas and a pretty fun story too...cheers!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

That game gets pretty old...

Whoa dude... a lil urine in your weaties this morning?

Even I caught where the fella claimed his mixup. Geeze already.

Id be afraid to respond too, now. Consider your own fault in this now. I mean, cmon, the guy obviously made a mistake, dont be such a stickler. With so many posts and flags, I would ASSUME you would be more patient with your responders.

I'll stay clear of your threads from here on out. Id hate to get what he's having.

edit on 4-7-2012 by article because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by article

Maybe there is some history, to the OP, and Poster.

Its obvious the poster "changed" what he wrote, but continued the charade.

Regardless, I find Peru a hotspot also, and I am glad to see there are those who will post about lost history, on ATS.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Agreed about Peru. I would love to explore that place if given the chance. I'm still very interested about the palces in the deep jungles that you can see in google earth but no one has seem to have found yet.

Cant wait till we shed more light to more unknown south american peoples.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by article

I think this is great and amazing that we are open to discover these things. I myself have gone to peru's amazon region bordering brazil and it was an amazing experience. I wanted to actually know what you are talking about article? You said that there are places that you can see on google earth but that no one has gone to yet. Is there a link you have or maybe the list of coordinates? I'm planning in going back so it would be cool to have new places to go to.

I recommend everyone to go an explore what Peru and all Pre-Colombia countries have to offer. There is a lot of incredible history that sometimes you could only find out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join