It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do they got against CATS anyway?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A new headline in the MSM would have you think that owning cats is likely to turn women suicidal.

'Cat ladies' more likely to commit suicide, scientists claim

Women who own cats are more likely to have mental health problems and commit suicide because they can be infected by a common parasite that can be caught from cat litter, a study has found.

Researchers found women infected with the Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) parasite, which is spread through contact with cat faeces or eating undercooked meat or unwashed vegetables, are at increased risk of attempting suicide.

The infection, which is called toxoplasmosis, has been linked to mental illness, such as schizophrenia, and changes in behaviour.

The study’s senior author Doctor Teodor Postolache, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in the United States, said: “We can’t say with certainty that T. gondii caused the women to try to kill themselves, but we did find a predictive association between the infection and suicide attempts later in life that warrants additional studies.

Telegraph

So, they find a loose relationship between a parasite found in cat feces and automatically jump to the conclusion that cat ownership = increased risk of suicide.

Guess they never heard the old axiom: Correlation does not equal Causation!

Sure, the do come out and say that this deserves more studies but, you couldn't tell that from the headline. From the headline (the only part a large portion of the population will pay attention to) you would also think that only cat owners are at risk of getting this infection. You have to read deep into the article to find the real truth.

Humans can become infected by changing their infected cats’ litter boxes, eating unwashed vegetables, drinking water from a contaminated source, or more commonly, by eating undercooked or raw meat that is infested with cysts.

Not washing kitchen knives after preparing raw meat before handling another food item also can lead to infection.

So, it looks like there are numerous ways to get this infection that have absolutely NOTHING to do with cat ownership yet, the headline only warns agains cat ownership. They say that 1/3 of the world's population is infected with this; do you really think they all got it from owning cats?

It makes me wonder if there isn't some type of agenda here to turn people against their cats. Maybe they are afraid cats can stop some type or rodent-borne infection they are planning to unleash on us or something.

I just hope people don't start abandoning their cats after reading this headline. It would be a shame for the kitties to suffer for a little bit of newspaper alarmism.

edit on 7/3/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Cats are filthy little creatures.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sure, correlation is not causation, at least not always.. But if you've got people with five cats in their homes, crapping in boxes then getting up on couches and bedding and counters and food preparation areas, I think it's a safe assumption.

Read about what's in your cat's poopies.. Pretty disgusting.

And your own link states that it's an avenue of research, and not a definitive explanation.

But it really does make sense to me that the "cat lady" with five cats and zero human friends would be more likely to commit suicide than the person with more human than cat friends. All toxic cat diseases aside.

“We can’t say with certainty that T. gondii caused the women to try to kill themselves, but we did find a predictive association between the infection and suicide attempts later in life that warrants additional studies.

edit on 3-7-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Mad cat women having mental problems is hardly suprising as having loads of cats when you can't give then the TLC they need is a mental health problem and could lead onto other problems than just having to open 10 tins of cat food every hour and the place stinking of cat pee and the thought of perhaps someone taking their babies away could cause them to top themselves like any 'addict' having its drug of choice taken away

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I read an article about this...this morning. I have been a cat owner for many years. I just wash my hands a lot...but I am also thinking of buying a large box of disposable rubber gloves and using them too...and still washing my hands of course!

I am just wondering...how much truth is in this information...and what exactly aren't they telling us?

Also...it seems really odd to me that this would only happen to (female cat owners) and not male cat owners too.

We all have brains...I'm just saying.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I read an article about this...this morning. I have been a cat owner for many years. I just wash my hands a lot...but I am also thinking of buying a large box of disposable rubber gloves and using them too...and still washing my hands of course!

I am just wondering...how much truth is in this information...and what exactly aren't they telling us?

Also...it seems really odd to me that this would only happen to (female cat owners) and not male cat owners too.

Read about Toxoplasma Gondii - it affects men and women differently. It makes men more brash, more brave, and it makes women depressed. It also makes rodents more brave, which causes them to come out of hiding and be easier preyed upon by cats.

This isn't new information, it's been known for many, many years. My mother was a vet tech and I knew about this as a child..

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I was thinking the same thing; why only female cat owners?

Also, taking precautions like washing hands and gloves is the smart way to go. The article doesn't even mention way to mitigate your risk. From the way they wrote it, you would think the only safe recourse would be to get rid of your cats.

Not gonna happen in my house.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Does not matter, point is cats carry Toxoplasmosis, so if you own or handle a cat you are at increased risk of contraction.

Which means you are at increased risk of the symptoms of toxoplasmosis. Isn't toxoplasmosis a zombie bug? makes its carries subdued and more complaint? I guess thats why cat owners end up subdued into giving the cat its own toilet in their home?

Put cat outside to catch mice where it belongs.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Cats are mounting a force against dogs and humans.

They have a new reincarnated leader....

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I am curious....are you a cat owner?

Thanks for the added information.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Two words:

Litter

Robot

Best invention for cat lovers EVER. Don't touch it, don't smell it, just pick up a bag of it every once in a while, DONE.
I don't even have a cat anymore (decided my allergy issues were more important), but the Litter Robot I had made for a reassuring time when my wife was pregnant and I was leary of toxoplasmosis. By the way toxo can cause blindness too. eh.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I am curious....are you a cat owner?

Thanks for the added information.

I was my entire life, we always had 2-3 cats as I was growing up. The only cats I've had since moving out of my parent's house have been cats that adopted me, not the other way around.

I don't LOVE cats, but I do love animals. So I would take in a stray cat if I came across one. I would never go out of my way to adopt a cat from a petstore, shelter, craigslist, side of the road, etc. If it was meant to be they find you.

Nothing against cats - usually my complaint is with the owner who can't keep a clean home. There are risks involved in keeping cats, but just like with keeping raw chicken, if you keep things tidy and clean and set clear rules for the animals (NO GETTING UP ON FURNITURE AND COUNTERS/TABLES) the risks are mitigated.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Who cares what a "study" says.
Let's use the tried and true method of study, HISTORY.
Just how long have cats been...."domesticated"....well co-existing with us anyway?
I truly cannot give an answer but, I can say for a very long time.
By now if humanity has not been wiped out, I think we're safe.
Keep teh kittehs.
Plus they do provide us pest control.
Screw what the "studies" say.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I would rather risk getting what cats carry than what rats and mice carry. Cats are amazing creatures they are believed to be the only animal that domesticated it's self and when we are not around they settle very easily back into being wild creatures. They don't need us they choose to be with us.

Basic hand washing and common sense and no worries. I agree with the poster that said let em go outside. My cats are all indoor/outdoor and all have lived to ripe old ages. The vet always remarks on how healthy and muscular they are. We live in Florida and there are fruit trees in almost every yard. My neighbors complain about fruit rats but they steer clear of our house.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ive been bashed here before.. but I do not like cats. Never did. Dont like their personality, dont like their smell ( not the litter box only.. cats have an odor I do not like), the pooping in a box you have to clean thing, the spraying things down, dont like their habits and think they are filthy little boogers. In many cultures, cats are not kept as pets due to this and cultural beliefs. Cats are evil. Now we know they are out to kill us with their parasites..

There is science behind the OP in all seriousness. These people that keep a dozen cats all living in their waste.. I dont think its just the parasites making them wackadoodle.. the parasites just added to it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

If you have a rodent problem that your cats are helping with, your cats are probably carrying the same diseases that the rodents are.

If you live on a farm and have semi-feral cats running your area, killing mice and rats, then by all means. If you live in a house, condo, trailer, or apartment with a rodent problem that you are relying on cats to remedy, you need to get control of your surroundings. =P

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is Florida like I said there are fruit trees in almost every yard. Lots of people just let it fall on the ground and stay there. If there is food lying around there is going to be pests. When the fruit is out of season they start looking for food elsewhere. Rats and mice will find a way in or make one. It has nothing to do with being poor or living in a nice neighborhood or cleanliness. I find your post just a tad offensive.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I'm not trying to be offensive - but what do you think happens when a cat is catching and sometimes eating diseased rodents?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have a cat to be very thankful for. One morning 5 years ago I was in a rush to get to work when my cat started meowing. Of course, he meows all the time so I ignored him and even became irritated when he wouldn't stop. I finally ran over to him over frustration. He was sitting on the counter right next to the stove and that's when I realized I left the stove on. As soon as I turned it off he jumped down and walked away. That beautiful cat saved my home from possibly burning down.

I will take the chance and keep him around. Besides, like the article says, there are other ways you can get this disease!

Also, you don't see cats in the news charging their owners and killing them. (Nothing against dogs- I love dogs, too!)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I will have you know that I am owned by three cats!
I have 4 litterpans all around my house and I sift these
litterpans everyday,sometimes even twice a day.
There are people that are so filthy,I would kiss my cats
before ever touching them.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Good point you are what you eat/kill. Sorry about any misunderstanding. I live in the armpit of the south, there are so many things about Florida people wouldn't understand unless they live here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join