Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Real ID & that Little Gold Star on Your Driver’s License

page: 7
35
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SSPI07
If the RFID chip in the RealID is anything like the chip in my credit card, you can just look closely and see a little square indentation on the card. One swift hit with a ball-peen hammer took care of the RFID chip in my card. Since anyone can build or buy a RFID reader for less than $100, identity theft can be of real concern.


A number of members here have posted methods to destroy the RFID chip.

Has this affected the use of your credit card?

ID Theft is a real concern. It's ironic that the chipped cards are being advertised as "ID Theft Prevention" when it's anything but.

The chipped passports come with a special sleeve that block readers.

As I said in the OP, we now need to buy "secure" wallets to prevent unauthorized readings.

The problem with destroying the RFID chip in the new Driver's Licenses & ID cards, is that when full national compliance is required (2017?), you will need a functioning chip to board a US commercial airliner, among other things.




posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz
Good find - and, research.

My current Texas DL has it, but it's more of a holographic image if the light catches it, just right.

I'll go thru the trouble to post a pic, if no one else can confirm when I get back from my trip.

Note: Actually 3 stars, 2 silver, the 3rd metallic(ish), right next to each other, bottom right. tough to see.

S & F.

Cookin' time.


Thank you. Texas is NOT one of the 25 States that passed laws to prohibit Real ID.

Did they take a biometric reading of your face? This is key, if they did not, your card is not chipped yet.

Some States are charging extra for the "Enhanced" card (microchipped) that can be used to cross Canadian & Mexican borders.

The full national compliance date has been pushed back to 2017 (?). Depends on the site.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirric
Picture deleted for Privacy, My DL has the Gold star in the upper right corner

There is no RFID chip in the card, I've check with a RFID reader, if there were it would had given me some feedback which it didn't and I used a flashlight and didn't see anything that looked like a chip.

I was initially worried about this but after researching this, have found that this star is only used for proof that you are a US citizen and nothing more. Florida did say they were not going to do the Federal Read ID, but passed there own version of the Real ID that mirrors it.......huh? Yea we are that stupid......

Yes, they take your right index fingerprint, and photo but they have to for the license.

I want to see BHO drivers license now...lol j/k

Not sure if this will allow me to travel to Canada without a passport as some here are saying...

So far, I haven't used this for anything related to proving I'm a US Citizen. Heck, my employer didn't even know this and still required me to provide my Passport for my I-9 proof of citizen to work for them, so I was like what the H#LL...


Thank you. Did they take a biometric reading of your face? If they did not, your card is not chipped.

Florida fought hard against the Real ID Act then caved. So they're calling it something else and hoping no one notices.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I got a new TX one in this year. Lots of tamper proof stuff, no chip. (Like the pic posted of the TX license)

That seal covers part of the picture and the picture has the birthday embossed on it also. makes it hard to change.
A row with gold, silver and gold stars, but it looks like more tamper proofing over the data.
When held up to a light source, their is an outline of dots in shape of the state of Texas on the right hand side. Kinda cool.

On the back there is a bar code at the top over the mag stripe.

I would like to know what this is...

At the bottom there is a large rectangle of black that looks like a cross between a bar code and a QR code. The are short wavy lines arranged in vertical columns. Guessing it is some type of coding to be scanned.


Thanks for sharing a description of your card. Did they take a biometric reading of your face?

If not, your card is not chipped. 2017 looks like the full national compliance date. That will give the States plenty of time.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector
 


I was just wondering! Does anyone know if these new IDs are trackable like a cell phone or gps?
I guess if it was'nt it would'nt be very useful!
I live in NYC and was issued a new license on my birthday last june and as far as i can tell there is no star in
the upper right hand corner or anywhere else for that matter!
I don't think i would mind so much this RFID chip in my wallet but to have one implanted into me now I would rather become a criminal and start stealing food then allow anyone to implant me with a tracking device!
Anyone else who would allow this is just as guilty as those that are perpetuating it! Freedom starts with patriotism
and ends with a rope!



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector
 


No DPS biometrics. Pretty sure the current TX licenses are not chipped.

The license website does not even mention enhanced version so I suspect they are not available in the state.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by AuranVector

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by AuranVector
 
Now I would never advocate anything destructive towards the state, but if I had a little gold star on my drivers license, it might accidently get stuck in the microwave.
*nudge nudge*



Thanks for the tip. But how will an inop RFID chip affect you?

How about not being able to board a US commercial aircraft?


You've puzzled me. Reading the links in your OP, it seems the star is used to certify that the documentation meets up to a required standard and is used because driving licences (using your example) are issued at a state level so may differ throughout North America. It means that someone in another state can see it meets certain requirements. You start off your OP saying you thought 'it's the same as an RFID chip' and by the conclusion of your post you have decided because you think this then it must be?



Actually that's a good question, if I understand you correctly. My initial sources indicated that the Real ID card would be marked with a Gold Star.

However, after I posted the OP, other members reported that their chipped cards are NOT marked with a Gold Star.

As an example, Washington State demands a biometric reading of the face for ALL of their Driver's License & ID card holders.

But it offers an option to its residents in the form of an "Enhanced" card for an extra fee.

They do NOT spell out that the "Enhanced" card is microchipped.

But they do state that the "Enhanced" card can be used for crossing the Canadian & Mexican borders.

Washington State passed legislation against the Real ID Act. But they are doing it anyway and hoping no one notices.

The "Enhanced" card is chipped and can be used as a Federal ID card when the time comes.

In any case, Washington State is doing biometric facial readings of ALL card holders.

The biometric facial reading is the 1st Benchmark of the Real ID.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Seems there is a 2D barcode, that the state site states it is for office use.



Magnetic Strip Technology: A magnetic stripe on a driver's license is the dark, solid stripe across the top back of the license. It is encoded by a machine that places magnetic fields of data on up to three tracks. This is the originally technology used to store data on drivers' licenses. Magnetic strips can not hold as much data as the 2D barcode and has no security or encryption capabilities to prevent tampering.

2D Barcode: The 2D barcode stores data along two dimensions and is therefore capable of containing much more information than the 1D barcode (seen on many food products) and the magnetic stripe. In most states the 2D barcodes are in a specific 2D format known as PDF 417. Data can be encrypted on 2D barcodes unlike the magnetic strip.

Specifically 2D barcodes can hold about 2,000 bytes of data, or enough to encode a small mug shot of a person. Currently 39 states use 2D barcode on drivers' licenses; the US military does as well. Nine states and the District of Columbia also store some form of biometric information on the bar code, such as a person's fingerprint.

What Information is Encoded on Drivers' Licenses?

We don't exactly know since there are over 200 state-issued drivers' licenses currently in circulation and not a lot of available documentation.

We have developed our own list based on SWIPE Toolkit usage. As more people use our Toolkit Decode Barcode feature, the more comprehensive and up-to-date this list becomes.

Data that currently is stored on some states drivers' licenses:

Name
Address
Second Address
Date of Birth
Height
Weight
Sex
Eye Color
Hair Color
Social Security Number
Organ Donor Info
Medical Indicators
Alias Name, Address, Date of Birth or Social Security Number
Electronic Image of Your Signature
Your Electronic Photo Image (KY)
Digital Fingerprints (DC, GA, HI)
Facial Recognition Template (TN)

www.preemptivemedia.net...



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I decoded the bar code. Here are the categories that are contained in the code.

Address
City
State
Zipcode
Driver License Number
License Expiration Date
License Issued Date
Date of Birth
Sex
Height
Eye Color
Hair Color

Ha. One of the data values did match the printed one.
edit on 7/4/2012 by roadgravel because: typo



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by AuranVector


“Barack Obama (for his Hispanic voters, I'm sure -- my note.) and Ron Paul flatly opposed it,”



What is your point here? Are you saying that Hispanic = illegal immigrant? What other reason would Obama oppose it for Hispanic voters other than any other kind of voter?


My bad. I do know that "Hispanic" does not equal "Illegal Mexicans." I do know that there are "Illegal Immigrants" of many different nationalities.

I know the term "Hispanic" covers White Spaniards and the many nationalities of Hispanic Central & South America and the Caribbean.

However, I know that there are legal Mexican-Americans who are against a secure border with Mexico or the deportation of illegal Mexicans. Probably because it affects their relatives.

There's even a movement by Mexicans to outlaw or prohibit the use of the term "Illegal Immigrant" because it's "discriminatory" and hurts the feelings of the Illegals. One is not allowed to call a spade a spade. Orwellian Doublespeak.

Obama & Holder have done everything to pander to the Mexican vote. Including punishing Arizona for trying to protect its borders & citizens from dangerous, violent criminals who also happen to be Illegal Mexicans.

Obama & Holder have also been against Voter ID laws that would cut down on Voter Fraud.

townhall.com...



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Get the smallest drill you can find and drill it through the chip.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aimlessly
Michigan here. Just had my license renewed a month ago and no gold star. Also, on the back it actually states that there is no RFID chip in the license.



Michigan is one of the States that passed legislation against the Real ID Act.

So did my State, and Florida and Washington State and Utah -- but they are doing it anyway.

If 2017 is the national compliance year, they still have plenty of time.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I image that at some point knowingly destroying the chip will be a crime.

Anyway, it looks like for the most part it is an optional feature currently. We can bet it will be standard in the future.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Seems there is a 2D barcode, that the state site states it is for office use.



Magnetic Strip Technology: A magnetic stripe on a driver's license is the dark, solid stripe across the top back of the license. It is encoded by a machine that places magnetic fields of data on up to three tracks. This is the originally technology used to store data on drivers' licenses. Magnetic strips can not hold as much data as the 2D barcode and has no security or encryption capabilities to prevent tampering.

2D Barcode: The 2D barcode stores data along two dimensions and is therefore capable of containing much more information than the 1D barcode (seen on many food products) and the magnetic stripe. In most states the 2D barcodes are in a specific 2D format known as PDF 417. Data can be encrypted on 2D barcodes unlike the magnetic strip.

Specifically 2D barcodes can hold about 2,000 bytes of data, or enough to encode a small mug shot of a person. Currently 39 states use 2D barcode on drivers' licenses; the US military does as well. Nine states and the District of Columbia also store some form of biometric information on the bar code, such as a person's fingerprint.

What Information is Encoded on Drivers' Licenses?

We don't exactly know since there are over 200 state-issued drivers' licenses currently in circulation and not a lot of available documentation.

We have developed our own list based on SWIPE Toolkit usage. As more people use our Toolkit Decode Barcode feature, the more comprehensive and up-to-date this list becomes.

Data that currently is stored on some states drivers' licenses:

Name
Address
Second Address
Date of Birth
Height
Weight
Sex
Eye Color
Hair Color
Social Security Number
Organ Donor Info
Medical Indicators
Alias Name, Address, Date of Birth or Social Security Number
Electronic Image of Your Signature
Your Electronic Photo Image (KY)
Digital Fingerprints (DC, GA, HI)
Facial Recognition Template (TN)

www.preemptivemedia.net...



Thanks for posting that. What a lot of info!



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I decoded the bar code. Here are the categories that are contained in the code.

Address
City
State
Zipcode
Driver License Number
License Expiration Date
License Issued Date
Date of Birth
Sex
Height
Eye Color
Hair Color

Ha. One of the data values did match the printed one.


This brings up an important issue.

What if there's a techno glitch in the new Federal ID cards where the data values do not match?

What a headache that could cause.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I image that at some point knowingly destroying the chip will be a crime.

Anyway, it looks like for the most part it is an optional feature currently. We can bet it will be standard in the future.


It's NOT optional in my State and my State voted against it.

My State will be taking biometric facial readings for ALL.

They are demanding much more stringent proof of ID, residence & US citizenship (or equivalent).

Our cards will have the Gold Star.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector
 


Program error after all.

I looked into the raw data and some of it was not known by the processing that interpreted it.

One measurement was reported in ft and in, but it is actually only inches so it was right.

I didn't pick up the restrictions and a couple of other items in the raw data.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Cut the star off, thats what im gonna do when i get mine renewed. # the law.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom
reply to post by AuranVector
 


I was just wondering! Does anyone know if these new IDs are trackable like a cell phone or gps?
I guess if it was'nt it would'nt be very useful!
I live in NYC and was issued a new license on my birthday last june and as far as i can tell there is no star in
the upper right hand corner or anywhere else for that matter!
I don't think i would mind so much this RFID chip in my wallet but to have one implanted into me now I would rather become a criminal and start stealing food then allow anyone to implant me with a tracking device!
Anyone else who would allow this is just as guilty as those that are perpetuating it! Freedom starts with patriotism
and ends with a rope!


The official story is the RFID chip in the card is NOT trackable.

Our regular cards hold so much info already, it brings up the question: why are they using an RFID chip?

If they did not do a biometric scan of your face, you do not have a chipped card

New York did NOT oppose the Real ID Act. It's coming.
edit on 4-7-2012 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)
edit on 4-7-2012 by AuranVector because: brain fart



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector
 
That is something, that is most likely they will resort to the mark of the beast, because we will be like cattle anyhow. But this will solve the problem, first off hold up your hand both hands when the SS officer approaches you.

With you hand or hand up, they will instantly know that you hold the mark, the request of papers would be secondary, and almost unnecessary with RFID chip reader on hand.

Why would the mark be placed on forehead or head, because the person had no arm or arms. But then again upon approach by SS Officer, he would see by you mark that you we indeed compliant and you would be allowed to pass, without be stopped for further evaluation.

This is all Bha, bah, bah, sheep poop. beaah beaah baaadddd.

Oh Well Hile Hitler

edit on 4-7-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)





new topics

top topics



 
35
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join



atslive.com

hi-def

low-def