It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andy Griffith dies at age 86

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Actor Andy Griffith has passed this morning. I'd like to send condolenses to his friends and family, and thank him for all the wonderful entertainment he left for us, and the generations ahead...You will be remembered.

content.usatoday.com...

Beloved actor Andy Griffith died this morning.

Former UNC President Bill Friday says The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock actor died at his home in Dare County, North Carolina around 7 a.m.

Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed the news to WITN News.

Emergency medical crews responded to Griffith's home this morning, Dare County Sheriff J.D. Doughtie told WAVY.com.

Griffith, who was born in Mt. Airy, N.C., was launched to fame as Sheriff Andy Taylor in The Andy Griffith Show for the CBS from 1960-1968. On the show, Ron Howard played his son, Opie. He starred on other shows and in films, but found his greatest success again with legal drama Matlock, from 1986 to 1995. He played the title character, Ben Matlock.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Tragedy to be taken from us so young.

He was part of the golden age of television, back when it only partially rotted our brains.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sad news.

I still love the Amdy Griffith show.

He will be missed.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Rest in peace Andy.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
RIP Sheriff Andy Taylor.

Opie loves you.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
He was a great man, and a huge talent.

This morning, I was listening to John Mellencamp's "Small Town" on the radio, and I inexplicably started crying. Right after the song, they made the announcement about Andy Griffith. Strange, but appropriate.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
RIP good Man.
Only the good die young they say, he was the one exception.
We truly have lost something good today.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Very sad is our loss

A great man with a great gift that shared it with us all

RIP

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Now I want to watch No Time For Seargants.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Goodbye, Andy. You have made your mark and will be long remembered.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Oh man...my husband is going to cry like baby.

It says alot that this show is still on somewhere and people still watch it even though they have seen it dozens of times over.

It's just a little something hopeful and idyllic in a sad and barbaric world.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Some people just know Andy Griffith by his TV show. He was an excellent dramatic actor too.

My favorite movie of his is (A Face In The Crowd) with Patricia Neal, Walter Matthau and Lee Remick. If you haven't seen it...you should!

RIP...Andy...thank you for leaving all your wonderful movies and TV programs...so we can all still enjoy you.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
That is so sad. I grew up with Sheriff Taylor.
He seemed like he was a good man on the screen and off the screen. Thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Him and that show taught us a lot of life lessons, owning your mistakes, taking your punishment and learning from it, sympathy for the less fortunate, respecting your elders... and the list goes on. RIP Mr.Griffith

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
How long before someone says he didnt die and just went to his bunker for december 21st with dick clark?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The era of the Greatest Generation is coming to its sad but inevitable conclusion. A generation which truly earned its name. They grew up during the Great Depression and fought in the bloodiest war in human history... almost no one in that generation did not lose a family member or close friend to poverty or war. They then rose up to give us the economic boom of the '50s and the fantastic television programs my parents watched and then I watched; Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Ant and Aardvark, and so on. Not to mention it gave us great shows for all the family, many of which are still watched today by those pining for the days of "Americana" with industry, small towns and big families such as The Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, and The Honeymooners.

My father always loved watching those '60s TV programs ever since I can remember. The whistling tune of The Andy Griffith Show is the first thing I ever remember whistling as a kid - it was that show which I heard every night (alongside the opening of Seinfeld) which will likely be ingrained into my memory forever. So rest in peace Andy Griffith, you have truly left your mark on this nation and its character.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

With all due respect, dude was 86. RIP, a good life he lived. Yes, the golden age of TV is long gone but then again Opie's peeps didn't have Mad Men, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire... too bad for them I say.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Even the PTB could learn a thing or two from Andy...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Rest in peace, another stoic figure of the "old guard".

Kids today could learn a thing or two from him.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
A bow of the head. A tip of a glass.

Remembered with reverence. All I can say is at least he diddnt go before his time.

Balance

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join