It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Grocery Stores Out of Food, Gas Unavailable, Grid-Down As Summer Heat Rages

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Skada

A little off topic but maybe not, you are the second person to mention 2 weeks of food is illegal.
Was this a hoax somewhere or is someone trying to say it is illegal to have more than 2 weeks of food?
I always have known I could have 2 MONTHS of anything as long as it is not harmful.
It was a reference to 'preppers' being labeled as domestic terrorist risks by the DHS.
Being prepared for natural disasters makes you a possible terrorist nowadays, it seems.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I haven't heard that saying before. Our government can't pass a law like that.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

I hear you...I was affected by that storm while visiting my grandkids'.
You do learn what is really important,it's not your TV,VCR,DVD,Ipods...
it's water,fresh food,shelter and running toilets.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

That was actually on an FBI terrorist watch list. Among the things to watch were everyday behavior that would land anyone and everyone on the list.

Source

I'm sure you can search for more. I suspect the alphabet agencies are trying to modify this list to include mundane things as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by g146541

I haven't heard that saying before. Our government can't pass a law like that.
It can be found here:Activist Post: 10 Ridiculous Things That Make You a Terror Suspect

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Agreed, this is why a huge part of prepping is learning dirt work "gardening".

With some basic tools I can manufacture many foods, if needed I have many sources of power for my electric kitchen tools too.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Bad though it is, and yes, I do know about the infrastructure problems as well, but people have become too soft.
What do they think people did just a few decades ago? The people back then had harsh winters and hot summers to deal with and didn't have the luxuries that people have today. They didn't have air conditioning everywhere, they knew how to cook on a stove rather than just bung something in the microwave...etc...etc!

Seems these days people just scream for the government or someone to fix things NOW.... someone, anyone, instead of approaching the problem rationally and looking at what they can do to get through and, yes, preparing for events. Keep a camping stove with the pots needed to cook on it. Keep the ingredients to knock up basic nutritious food, candles, matches, other simple basics. It doesn't have to be full-on armageddon preparation, but every thing and piece of knowledge helps.

I sometime think maybe I am beng a bit hard on people for their lack of self reliance, but to me it's just plain common sense, which sadly seems to be lacking in peoples "comfortable" lives.

edit on 3-7-2012 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
reply to post by g146541

That was actually on an FBI terrorist watch list. Among the things to watch were everyday behavior that would land anyone and everyone on the list.

Source

I'm sure you can search for more. I suspect the alphabet agencies are trying to modify this list to include mundane things as well.

All I can say is Beware Sams Club customers! Its seems like those calling the shots are paranoid schizophrenics!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Both of you thanks, got it.
I sure hope when the DHS gets here they do not try to present me with a search warrant for twinkies!!!

I'm willing to die for mah twinkehs!!!

Hey, it's part of being fat old and mostly broken, it's what I do!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

As I said, I was raised to be prepared fot the worst.

If I were prepping for a food shortage, I would lay-in a lot of dry beans, peas, and nuts. Greens are a good thing but they don't keep very long.

I am just talking about those things which are easy to store very long term and have lot of food value. maybe a little harder to fix to eat, but it beats a snowball.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thank you and thanks again for the u2u.
But really That hussy betty crocker got nothin on me!

I got recipe's coming out the waazoo, heck, I got recipe's for recipe's.

Food is a huge comfort when the lights go out, and comfort food is GOD, I'ma be doin fine.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1947flxible

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
There is a major plan behind all of this and within the next 30-60 days there will be a major event along the East Coast. It seems that it will be weather related...very likely of hurricane. Not sure that it will be man made however but it very well could be.

I cant speak to that but i do know that anything else hitting that area will be really bad and make this situation much much worse, so needless to say i hope you are incorrect m8.

I hope I'm wrong too but damn something has just got me feeling that...probably spending too much time on here getting me all paranoid

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yet another fine example of the 7 P's

Piss Poor Planning Provides Piss Poor Performance

But in reality, there is ZERO/NO/NONE/NON-EXISTENT excuse for the power to take so long to come back on. It is 1000% incompetence at the highest levels.

I bet anything that the "upper" rich people in DC living off the Potomac have power LOL!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't think this storm was natural at all. It came around midnight, and I have never seen anything like it before. The lightning in the sky was like a strobe light. It flickered on and off and wouldn't stop. And while my area is prone to losing power for weeks, because it is an impoverished sh**hole, the DC area? When was the last time that happened?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
A thunderstorm can cause outages for this long? We need to do some serious infrastructure spending in this country and stop giving it to bankers.

I just learned that apparently the 3 water supplies for Manhatten island have valves that are stuck or frozen, and the one remaining working valve is wooden? A wooden water supply? Can it be true that Manhatten Island is operating on an infrastructure over a century old?

Just WOW!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

You are correct. I am in Ashburn Va. (horrible horrible place - husband's job. Blah.) We live right on the Potomac, and the McMansions were the first places to have power restored. The grocery stores were out of certain staples (cat litter!) but Peapod food delivery (Giant) are still delivering food orders. I was really shocked at the amount of distress people were experiencing due to loss of cable tv & internet! If something dire does happen many of these spoiled citizens will curl up and die without a fight! Sad.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

... our electrical grid is so outdated it's not even funny. It's all interconnect into like 4 or 5 grids. At least the damage is mostly limited to the downed power lines and the like.

You wouldn't like power stations goin out. If you hit like 3.. its done. But how the power co's have it setup, if one or even 2 go down there are axillary power stations to feed the grid.

Electricity cannot go grid to grid unless there is a translator or something in the middle. D'oh!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
reply to post by ManFromEurope

7 days is nothing. I spent 2.5 weeks without electricity, hurricane Ike. Of course I had gas hookup, so I could still cook and take a shower. In extreme weathers, a camp fire is a comfort. Best to just be prepared and to hell with unreasonable "laws" that make it a "crime" to not have more then a few days to weeks worth of food. We all need to prep, we all need to garden, we all need to learn canning. We all need to learn the "old ways" of doing things as a backup to tech and innovation. We should have had tesla tech that didn't require power lines (read chains around the ankle and wallet).

Man we had no power for 4 days because of hurricane ike. In freaking michigan. What the hell? Sad thing is most people here dont even realize that hurricanes from down there die up here. Usually as mere severe thunderstorms, but ike was still a tropical depression. So basically, we should have been stocking up every time we hear about a hurricane running that route.

First thing we did was pig out on ice cream before it melted lmao!

My parents always had atleast a couple weeks worth of canned food without even trying. i keep uhm...no food whatsoever on hand

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I was just talking to my family about this yesterday. I store some food for instances like this, not a lot maybe two week's worth and they always want to dig into that emergency stash, heck no. I said, "If the power goes out here in Vegas, the stores will be empty in an hour and a half." What is happening over there with the power out right now should be a lesson to all.

I'm aware excessive food storage is one of the supposed red flags to DHS, but let's be real. I haven't heard of anyone getting a visit from them after coming home from Costco. They can piss off for all I care. Be prepared.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
what is going on in dc is going on in a heck of a lot of other places from ohio to the coastline!! the area affected is huge.. usually when a bad storm comes through, the utility companies can enlist the help of neighboring companies to sent some help. this time around all the neighbors are busy cleaning up their mess and the help is coming in from the gulf states.

it's not just dc, it from no caroline up into penn I believe, from ohio to the coast.... it came barreling through with 80+ mph winds and there was little notice of it coming.

strangest danged storm I've ever seen.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join