It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking DNA at birth

page: 1

join
share:
IBM

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I believe that if we take DNA and Fingerprint samples at birth and keep them in the FBI database it will be a good thing. If someone commits a murder and leaves behind DNA it will be easy for the government to identify the killer. Not only will it save tremendous manhours but money as well. It will also help in identifying unknown bodies. I have watched many a forensics specials on the Discovery channel and getting the genetic sample to match anyone is very difficult because the suspects are now known. Properly identifying the possible suspect and then building the case around it will be very beneficial to law enforcement.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Somehow I don't think many people are going to be too pleased about that, and understandably so. That kind of action to me seems to come across something like this to people "Just in case in the future you commit a crime, were going to take your DNA at birth so it will be easy to match up" Kind of goes against the whole innocent until proven guilty concept. Not only that, but you definately wouldn't want to be a person tasked to do that collecting, as many angry parents would make for a nasty situation at collection time. Few people would want someone coming up to their newborn child in the hospital and immediately swabbing the kids mouth.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
That would be a good idea... I wouldnt want my DNA and Prints on file unless i'd done something wrong. Basically its giving the government info about me which is uneccesary and its a breach of my privacy... my DNA is mine and mine only and no-one else has the right to access it

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I do believe that we have already lost our anonimoty (sp?) to the nth degree. But I have thought of this before. If our DNA was taken at birth then it would be a great help if anyone needs a marrow or organ transplant and stuff like that there. I think its a good idea. But someone was saying that they wouldn't want it done unless the had commited a crime. Personally I think it would be a great creative measure to stop crime.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think you've been watching Gattica on loop tape.

The problem with this is, you'd have to be paranoid as all get out, everytime someone shook your hand. Why? What if they try to scrape you hand to steal your DNA to set you up for a crime?

What if the laundry woman at the hotel you're at didn't like you, & gets DNA off your sheets, like the Secret Service did off of Monica Lewinsky's dress?

What if, you only touched a gun, because a best friend handed it to you to look at, & then he ends up getting jealous of how his wife reacts to some of your jokes & not his, & he turns his gun in as evidence, after shooting someone & he's got gloves on.

See My point here? I hope so. I'm not going to go around all the time, worrying if I left My DNA somewhere.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Sure! Lets do this! Then the insurance companies can justify charging you more for health insurance or denying it altogether when they find out which genetic diseases you may be predisposed for.

top topics

join