It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Rick Scott: Florida Won't Implement Medicaid Expansion of Obamacare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
story from NewsMax

Gov. Rick Scott: Florida Won't Implement Medicaid Expansion of Obamacare
The Governor of Florida says no to the ObamaCare Medicaid "expansion".

He cites many reasons.

He claims it will cost jobs for one.

How I don't know.

Another reason is that the program will run out of money and therefore reduce care by limiting payments, as in "rationing".

The Governor doesn't like the idea of "dependency" and says the Medicaid expansion will create that.

Perhaps a bigger issue is that Florida will not establish those "exchanges" either.

Scott says those things will raise overall healthcare costs to taxpayers.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott tells Newsmax he will refuse to implement provisions of Obamacare despite the Supreme Court’s ruling because the healthcare overhaul will be “devastating” to Florida families and taxpayers.

The first-term Republican, who headed a healthcare corporation before running for office, also says the November election is going to be all about repealing the healthcare legislation, adding that “if we care about jobs, we have to repeal Obamacare.”

In an exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV, Scott says he is “disappointed” that the Supreme Court did not declare Obamacare unconstitutional.”

“It’s going to be devastating for our families that need care, it’s going to be devastating for taxpayers, and it’s going to kill jobs,” he declares.

The article says other States are going to be "refusing" too !!

Now what happens ?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
He hates poor people.

2nd.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
He hates poor people.

2nd.

You know this for a fact do you?

I suppose it's possible.

Some other people might see this as an attempt to Not create more "poor" people.

10's of millions of "people" are currently "poor" that were not "poor" a few years ago.
What went wrong?

Just the same, it looks like others share the same thinking.

article from The Hill

At least 15 governors have indicated they will not participate in the expansion of Medicaid under the healthcare law, striking a blow to President Obama’s promise of broader insurance coverage.

Before Thursday’s Supreme Court ruling, states had the option of either increasing their Medicaid rolls or being penalized by the federal government. The high court struck down that offer as unconstitutional.

Governors still have a financial incentive to participate in the expansion of coverage for low-income people, since the government will foot most of the bill through 2016. But the decision is also loaded with politics, particularly for Republican governors who are adamantly opposed to “ObamaCare.” ................
Fifteen governors reject or leaning against expanded Medicaid program

Where will all the extra money come from ?

Do You know ?

edit on Jul-03-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The Federal government will do it for him.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

The Federal government will do it for him.

Interesting.

It may be optional for States.

I'm looking for the language in the PPACA

Did the SCOTUS address this ?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You know what would be really amazing, is if all states refused it! I know they won't, but I wish they would.

If say, twenty states refused care, would people move to other states just to receive care? What does happen when medicare runs out completely, can the federal government force them to keep paying for something they don't have the money for?

Interesting thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

President Obama stated that the states must implement the plan or something very comparable to it.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

The states can opt out of the medicaid expansion. If they refuse to set up the exchanges, the Federal government will do it.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, gee... Massachusetts has had this same healthcare plan for a while now, and they seem to be doing quite all right.

The economists, from several local universities, the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, and other organizations, noted the Massachusetts economy has expanded faster than the nation’s and the unemployment rate, 6 percent in May, is more than 2 percentage points below the ­national rate of 8.2 percent. Employers are hiring, the housing market is stabilizing, and state tax collections are growing.

articles.boston.com...
edit on 7-7-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As one of the few natural born Floridians (Yes, I moved away, with every other semi-functional Floridian at the first chance, hence why everyone you meet in Florida, was born somewhere else) I think I can speak for Florida when I say it's the Australia of the United States. Not the modern Australia, mind you, but the penal colony. Just about any crazy aberration could happen in Florida, and it would not surprise me. Of course I kid, but anyone who has spent any substantial time living in Florida (especially Southern Florida, the North is more of an extension of Georgia/Alabama) knows there is truth in my jest.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It is most disheartening to watch the actions of Gov Rick Scott's latest action.

This is nothing more to political grandstanding for POLITCAL GAIN - all talk but no substance or realities to it, in the hope that he could fool the masses yet again. He prefers to run down the nation than to help the People. His loyalty to the nation is suspect. Is he working for the People as a governor should, or he is working only for a few with vested interests?

Health is something one must not play with, for none of us humans are immortals with perfect health or immune to the causes of nature or life threatening erors from others.

Each State has a responsibility to take care of its own constituents, by working out State budgets carefully, for the nation's wealth is shared by all.

What does Gov Rick means when someone who is poor and in bad shape, need urgent medical attention? Is he going to stand at the door of the hospital, and point to the trashbin, tell him there is no money, the poor are free loaders, a drain to society where if one robs a bank, one goes to jail, but if Rick's buddy bankers rob the People, bankers get a bonus, to direct that citizen there to climb it into and let death come naturally to him?

Or does he expects hospital administrators - doctors and nurses, humans whom had sworn to help and heal all regardless of anything else, and had done so compassionately since the dawn of USA - to do that job for him?

In the end, the Federal govt will leave none behind. Auditors and regulators will come, but at the last, the Federal govt bails out the State, using funds from taxpayers and revenue earned by other americans and resources to help all, something that Gov Rick is irreponsibly refusing to pull his weight for the nation and the poor's sake, but prefer POLITICAL posturing, while poor constituents are threatened with no aid, will die or soon to die from lack of treatment if he immorally enforces it.

No one wants to be poor, but let's be honest, the room at the top is limited and currently, the wages paid are worse than a slave's living expenses, thanks to Corporate America outsourcing and 'globalisation'. Worse still is the current nitemares of frauds created by trusted bankers, resulting in money fleeing back under the bed and not circulated, and thus many are out of jobs or have no hopes of having the salaries increased.

Does the Gov know this, and think of ways to grow inclusive shared wealth and biz for the state instead of playing politics? If not, how the hell did he became a gov in the first place? By election 'donations' from the rich? Is this democracy????

join