8,733,461: Workers on Federal 'Disability' Exceed Population of New York City

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

(CNSNews.com) - A record of 8,733,461 workers took federal disability insurance payments in June 2012, according to the Social Security Administration. That was up from 8,707,185 in May.

It also exceeds the entire population of New York City, which according to the Census Bureau's latest estimate hit 8,244,910 in July 2011.

Keep in mind this is Federal disability, not private insurance.

Big difference in 20 years !

In June 1992, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 118,419,000 people employed in the United States, and, according to the Social Security Administration, there were 3,334,333 workers taking federal disability payments. That equaled about 1 person taking disability payments for each 35.5 people actually working.

Big deficits and large percentage increase since 2008

When President Barack Obama was inaugurated in January 2009, there were 142,187,000 people employed and 7,442,377 workers taking federal disability payments. That equaled about 1 person taking disability payments for each 19.1 people actually working.

In May of this year, there were 142,287,000 people employed, and 8,707,185 workers taking federal disability payments. That equaled 1 worker taking disability payments for each 16.3 people working.

The federal disability payments made to the record 8,733,461 workers in June averaged $1,111.42.

The Social Security System’s Disability Insurance Trust Fund has run deficits in each of the last three fiscal years, meaning the government has needed to borrow money to pay disability benefits to the workers claiming them. In fiscal 2009, the Disability Insurance Trust Fund deficit was $8.5 billion. In fiscal 2010, it was $20.8 billion. And in fiscal 2011, it was $25.3 billion.

2009, 2010, and 2011 saw more paid out than received in tax revenue.

The last time that happened was 1992, 1993, and 1994.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
So are this many people getting hurt?

Or is it that so many people can't find work so they fake it?

Either way looks like somethings needs to be fixed.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

interesting numbers..

In May of this year, there were 142,287,000 people employed, and 8,707,185 workers taking federal disability payments.

so around 142 million people are employed by the Federal Government..

and there's about 314 million people in America..

so half the population is paid for..

the other 150 million do not vote...

or know anything relevant to reality..

no wonder America has been in decline..

25 billion here.. couple trillion bail out there..

its completely clear as to why Ron Paul was pushed aside

this election... well every election..

everyone else is wallowing in fake fiat currency from the Federal Reserve..

what a tangled twisted disgusting tale how America lost its way...

crazy times... crazy times..

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Or is it that so many people can't find work so they fake it?

Either way looks like somethings needs to be fixed.

it's not all just injuries.

some medical conditions can qualify.

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

You cannot do work that you did before;
We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments.

What We Mean By Disability

Cancer and Social Security Disability Benefits

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by reeferman

interesting numbers..

In May of this year, there were 142,287,000 people employed, and 8,707,185 workers taking federal disability payments.

so around 142 million people are employed by the Federal Government..

and there's about 314 million people in America..

so half the population is paid for..

the other 150 million do not vote...

or know anything relevant to reality..

no wonder America has been in decline..

25 billion here.. couple trillion bail out there..

its completely clear as to why Ron Paul was pushed aside

this election... well every election..

everyone else is wallowing in fake fiat currency from the Federal Reserve..

what a tangled twisted disgusting tale how America lost its way...

crazy times... crazy times..

Lol, there are not that many people employed by the Federal Govt. Between state and federal govt only about 8,000,000 people are employed.
edit on 3-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

keep this mind. about 1/3 to 1/2 of that figure I bet is from disabled vets from the ongoing and past wars.

edit on 3-7-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98

keep this mind. about 1/3 to 1/2 of that figure I bet is from disabled vets from the ongoing and past wars.

That's probably true.

However, if the system is not taking in enough money, where will future payments come from ?

Tax increases ?

Reductions from other programs ?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I see some of these folks on "disability" everyday. They are out mowing their lawns, climbing ladders, playing in pools etc etc etc... Smoking with a nasal cannula etc etc... Eating Two Big Macs for a snack while sitting in their govt. funded "Rascal" scooters because they are too heavy to even move.

The system is doomed to collapse under its own bloated weight. Blame fraud and abuse of a system that is ripe for the picking. Funny, how they cannot manage our current publicly funded systems as they are and yet they think that they can some how manage the monstrous Obamacare successfully and without waste, abuse and fraud.

Good Luck with that!! Maybe the new IRS henchmen will solve those problems...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I see some of these folks on "disability" everyday. They are out mowing their lawns, climbing ladders, playing in pools etc etc etc... Smoking with a nasal cannula etc etc... Eating Two Big Macs for a snack while sitting in their govt. funded "Rascal" scooters because they are too heavy to even move.

The system is doomed to collapse under its own bloated weight. Blame fraud and abuse of a system that is ripe for the picking. Funny, how they cannot manage our current publicly funded systems as they are and yet they think that they can some how manage the monstrous Obamacare successfully and without waste, abuse and fraud.

Good Luck with that!! Maybe the new IRS henchmen will solve those problems...

the sad part is, they learned how to manipulate the system from their government leaders. you know, lead by example.

there will never be enough fiat money to fix this hole we are all in and that may be by design, although i'm not 100% convinced as yet on that subject.

when the local, state and federal government are corrupt, stealing money, making the lives of all citizens to be less in every way, what do you think will happen? does anyone think society will become a better place when we are ruled by criminals...?

people look to leaders to do what they're supposed to do and when they get away with crime after crime those same people will see this and act accordingly in many cases. i will never agree that the American people are responsible in any way for this mess, that's like saying because a woman wore a dress and was enjoying her day, that she was responsible for being raped.

when elected officials, police, big banks, big pharma, big insurance and so on, continue to rape the people' it can only lead to one thing and it ain't gonna be pretty.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98

2.9 million when I checked (CBS). Not as many as I thought.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I really think that the veteran's disability should come from the military funding seperate from social security. Actually, any disability should not come from Social Security in my opinion.

I have a friend who works in SS in Alabama. Oh, the stories she tells. She has a great story about having to turn down a pregnant mother for additional SS. The mother strongly felt that she should begin receiving benefits for her baby that has not been born yet because the baby is making her feel so tired. My friend laughed, and told her you can not receive benefits for a child that is not here. Unfortunately, the lady in question started yelling and arguing, so they had to call security. She hates working there and is trying to get another job, she says it is pretty stressful there.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Companies have always thought of employees as being disposable in the work place. and in most cases the taxpayers end up paying.
In many cases they were hurt years ago and there employers had moved them to jobs they could still do under federal laws that protect the disabled workers in the workplace. (ADA act)

Then the economy crashed and the employers used this as a way to get rid of all these disabled workers without violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. They are the ones that get the first pink slips.

Now because the people are disabled no other companies will hire them and they have to fall back on SSI/SSD.

its very hard to fool the government as in most cases to get SSI/SSD you have to go through your own doctor to get the paperwork saying you are disabled then go to the government doctors to be checked.

And you don't have to be able to do nothing just not be able to work a regular part time job.(even being a door greater at walmat requires you to stand for hours.)
Being able to do something like mow part of the lawn that takes 30 minutes and going back in to rest for a hour then doing another part and resting again does not mean you could hold a job.
And with what little SSI/SSD pays the people in many cases have to do things like that themselves because they don't have the money to pay to have it done.

War veterans that become disabled due to non service connected causes have there own system called veterans disability pension and it pays more then SSI/SSD.
right now about $1000 a month.

edit on 3-7-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
One aspect that may fan the flames is that even if you have a long term disability plan from a commercial insurer, that commercial insurer usually requires the insured to file for SS Disability once the disability is deemed "long term". If the insured is approved for SS Disability then the insured has to pay back the commercial insurer any amount exceeding what they would now have to pay the insired with funds awarded by Social Security. The commercial insurer can then reduce the insured's benefits so that Social Security is bearing the majority of the load while while the commercial insurer only has to continue with a small percentage to make sure the insured stays at the insured income rate.
So if a disabled person qualifies for $1200 in disability payments and SS pays $900, then the commercial insurer only has to kick in $300. The insured has to pay back the commercial insurer $900 per month for each month the insurer paid the insured $1200 while awaiting the SS decision. This is completely backwards if you ask me. SS should be the back up and require the commercial insurer to pay the majority if not the whole amount.
In my case I had to repay $16,000 to my commercial insurer with SS funds plus the "specialized" disability lawyer got almost $6,000, while I was left to absorb the costs of my doctor visits and expensive treatments and medication, but we all know the little guy doesn't matter. He is small enough to find any crumbs that fall in the cracks.
I had a couple back surgeries with the last being a spinal fusion from L3 to S1 which decreased my mobility and bestows plenty of pain upon me, so I can say there are some of us that actually need the help and aren't "living it up" on the gov't dime.

I have begun to ask if the money is even real anyway, or if it is just a tool to restrict access.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

No doubt, and the money to pay these people and to pay pensions and social security? There isn't ever enough overhead coming in for any of this # to ever work, so why sugar coat it all in lies and propaganda that costs american lives? Oh- yeah, so you can keep repeating this process with the worlds lives at your disposal without any remorse or discourse?!!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Try doing some research about the amount of money the government is spending on the Pentagon, black projects, etc.

I'd much rather that money was going towards the basic living expenses of people, who in turn spend it in the general economy which benefits all the farmers, grocers, doctors, etc., and not on more bombs and deep underground military bases that the elite plan on moving to when the time comes...

top topics

join

$('#skin').click(function(){ window.location.href = "http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1008463/pg1"; });