It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store associates--do your job, please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Okay I know this story is old, but it is still worthy of my rant haha. This thread is not meant to create a debate about the heartless corporate machine. I think that description alone reveals my attitude towards it. This thread is about sales associates who just can’t be bothered to do their job while I sit here jobless ranting on ATS.

I went to the bookseller a little while ago to pick up a new CD (yes, I still go for the hard copies instead of digital) and the sales associate asked if I needed help.

“I got what I came for, thanks. But actually, there is something I’ve been keeping a lookout for. Maybe you guys have it.”

I told her, “I’m looking for Gulliver’s Travels, not the newest one, but the one with Ted Danson. It was a miniseries from the early 90’s, I believe.” I gave her more information than she needed to do a product lookup.

So, she says “The one that came out a few years ago?”

“No, the one with Ted Danson. It’s an older version.”

“How do you spell ‘Danson’?” I was kind of surprised she never heard of this Ted-Dan-son. She seemed my age, but oh well. Not everybody knows Ted Danson. I’m not even a fan of Ted Danson but still watched Cheers and Becker etc. etc.

Oh, and by the way, she spoke in this near-inaudible mouse-squeak voice--like she had no confidence that the sun will shine on again tomorrow.

Anyhow, I pretty much had to do the whole product lookup for her. It amazes me when store associates seem utterly clueless about the products they are working with. I know the above wasn’t a great example of that, but it triggered my rant on the car ride home.

It gets worse! I remember back when I had a job (doing the retail schtick) that I visited a location across town. We got employee discounts at all our locations. So the assistant manager went to ring up my discount. She didn’t know how to do it! I had to show her every step of the way how to do an essential register function. I also had an exchange with my purchase. I had to remind her to take my employee discount price in account when returning my cash, otherwise she would have been giving me the 20% that was discounted during purchase. Yes, I did the honest thing when she didn’t even know what she was doing.

Okay, more rant to go: I recently went into a sporting goods store and was browsing around. I hear, “Can I help you with anything?” Well, I wouldn’t have said anything, but since they’re offering to help, I had some questions. I asked where the hockey section was moved to (it wasn’t where it was my last visit). She didn’t know! Okay, fine, I found it pretty quickly (really just by taking a wide view of the store corner-to-corner. And of course they were no help when I had some golfing equipment to buy.

I know they’re just lowly sales associates and corporate footmen. But can’t we have a little effort, folks? Can't they at least pretend like they deserve to have this job? I can say that whenever I didn’t know an answer to a customer’s question, I went home that night and spent all of 10 minutes researching it so that next time I’d have a knowledgeable answer. In the last 4 years that I did this gig, I knew how to do my job—and I did it really well. When you have knowledge of a product, you don’t have to be a salesperson. Your information is enough to sell the product—people can decide for themselves based on your input. No pressure tactics or any of that sleaze involved.

Okay, now I have a bonus rant. I have a sub sandwich shop near my place. I like a sub sandwich now and then. But I can’t even go in there anymore because the two young kids running the place are so lugubriously depressed that I can’t even order from them. No greeting, no smile, no life in them at all. I spill out the tips and I don’t even get a ‘thank you’. I know these kids can smile and laugh. I’ve seen them do it when their friends were in there visiting. But as soon as I went to order..all dead, all dead. I thought about letting the manager know that her employees are scaring me away from spending in their shop. The manager carried the same sullen attitude so I didn’t even bother.

I remember calling a store once (scores of times, really) to ask if they had a product. They say “No. All out” and I decided to go check out the shop anyway and found stacks of said product.

Look, I understand these are usually depressing jobs. I’m not totally in the dark about that. But even on my worst day, I never let it show while I was on the clock. And here’s a crazy concept..I actually cared enough about my job that I took personal time to research some products that I didn’t know about.

Again, this thread is not about the corporate juggernaut that is America. It is about raising the bar on minimal effort, folks.

Think this rant is unwarranted? Well, then you should know that what really scares me is all the “educated,” high-level positions that people are just haphazardly doing with no concern for the results. Controversy be darned—I know there’s lots of doctors out there just coasting through the health profession. There are lazy people in all hierarchical classes of life. And you know I’m telling the truth here.

edit on 3-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Lets all join in the rant.

I was shopping for a new jacket a few days ago and found myself in the upmarket section of an upmarket department store. Found one I liked, even if it was about $380 dollars, it still looked damn fine.
The Male sales assistant who briefly served me and managed to find my size then handed the Jacket (before I'd even tried it on) it to a Female assistant while saying he couldnt stay and had to go somewhere... the Female assistant would take over.
Didnt happen.
They started chatting about social/weekend/afterhours related personal matters while I'm waiting for her to hand me the jacket so I could try it on. After a few moments, she puts the jacket back on the rack and they walk off together (on a break?) leaving me alone.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I can see it now. You're probably one of those people that can never help themselves on just creating an argument with the sales associate just to try to get them fired.

If you can't find it at the store, then buy it online.

Problem solved.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You couldn't be further from the truth. I never cause arguments. I am always very patient and cheerful in these situations. The point is--can't they at least pretend to try? They're getting paid to do a job. Some people think that a paycheck is a right, not a privilege.

If she didn't want to help me, she didn't have to even ask me. So why did she ask me if I needed help? Oh yeah, because that's how she "earns" her paycheck.

Manhater, I'm surprised you would disagree with me on this one! I usually agree with most of your posts haha.

By the way, I agree with the first-poster. Let's all rant together and contribute with personal stories and experiences that left you walking out of a store puzzled!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

You couldn't be further from the truth. I never cause arguments. I am always very patient and cheerful in these situations. The point is--can't they at least pretend to try? They're getting paid to do a job. Some people think that a paycheck is a right, not a privilege.

If she didn't want to help me, she didn't have to even ask me. So why did she ask me if I needed help? Oh yeah, because that's how she "earns" her paycheck.

Manhater, I'm surprised you would disagree with me on this one! I usually agree with most of your posts haha.

By the way, I agree with the first-poster. Let's all rant together and contribute with personal stories and experiences that left you walking out of a store puzzled!

I don't know, I've always been complimented on. I go out of my way to help the customer until they leave. I had two ladies tell my manager that I should be manager and not her.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Your right about some people being like that but not all of us are like that.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It isn't just sales associates. It's an epidemic of "I take no pride in my job".

I was always taught that whether you flipped burgers at McDonald's or were lucky enough to be born Donald Trump...you DO EITHER JOB the with the same amount of passion and with the same amount of pride. We have lost this apparently. People no longer care about doing the job the best way they can and put more effort into getting out of work than they do when they are actually working.

I have had many jobs and each of them dealt with the public. I hate the public...but I can promise you that not one customer I came across would ever know it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Believe me, I rose through the ranks pretty quick, not because I like to start arguments and lose my cool in stressful situations. Likewise, I keep my cool when these associates give me reason to rant. I stay patient with them.

And yeah, I know the feeling. I've embarrassed some higher ranks a few times because customers always approached me as if I was running the show.

That's not to say that I'm not frustrated enough to come post anonymously on ATS

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks for your post! Very well said. I'm not exactly a social butterfly, but no one was the wiser when I did my job. I agree wholeheartedly in the matter of pride no matter what your job is. I feel that if you're going to do a job, you might as well do it better than anybody else. That's an accomplishment in and of itself right there.

But then again, I was raised by my grandparents who were born in the 30's. I guess I'm just old-fashioned thinking that people should want to do a good job. Thanks to your post--I'm glad I'm not alone on this because I really thought I was!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Customer service is dead, Ive noticed it more and more.

As the economy tanks, retail cuts cost, which equal all those nice "customer is always right" things companies do.

You know like return things say that a little bit outta the period, or other measures they do as a curtsey but cost potential income go away.

This includes paying the same level of payroll, this leads to less staff, which leads to worst service, which in turn leads to angry customers, which leads to angry employees.

Simply service industry clamping down where they can, to watch the bottom line.
(and its a huge mistake)

Look at all the big box failures, part of it them over extending and saturation of the market. The other part is looking at just the bottom line and forgetting the whole "spend money to make money"

I watched retail clamp up on these things as a Multi Unit Big box retail Management, its why I left, I went from a company that valued its customers above all else to "how much can we squeeze out of them" SO i left.
edit on 3-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I too have noticed this and having worked in both food service and sales from groceries to tuxedos, as a dishwasher to a general manager and it is rampant everywhere. When I saw that type of behavior I reminded them that it is the customer that pays their checks and they needed to be appreciative of this fact and usually it worked out fine save a few that were allowed to seek employment elsewhere. What gets me, although there are some out there that are serious about helping a customer, there are more that are not. What does this say about the management teams of these locations (like you said in your example). Not just management but how can the owners or Mother companies even think its okay? Have we as a people become so distant from each other that a simple smile or a serious attempt at helping is a thing of the past? Its sad.....so sad.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
To the above two posters, thanks for your input. But the thing is..aren't we (USA) a customer service industry now? How can we be a customer service nation if most of us suck horribly at it?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
ok i get most of your points but ...really you wont go to the sub shop because the kids working it wont plaster on a fake smile and force themselves to act enthused about making sandwiches for minimum wage?
i suppose you dont like the janitor because he doesnt smile while he wipes your turd stains from the bowl either

its ridiculous that in service jobs youre expected to act enthused and happy to serve (especially when half the people that walk through the door are complete assholes) yes masta! right away masta! i loves when you order that sandwich masta it makes me so happy!
personally i find it to be creepy
pretty horrible to have to fake emotions or deal with someone who does
edit on 3-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Companies will blame the internet for it, its always the first response.

Best buy screams it, mean while go get help at a best buy with out knowing what you need, good luck with that.

Its the drive to the bottom line, at a certain point management gets so removed from the trenches that they forget things like we are all just people who deserve common curtsey.

I saw it every day, I was the point man between my management and corporate, at the DM level I was at, I constantly got pressure from above to drive sales while cutting cost.

ITS insane. It nearly drove me to an early grave trying to meet corporate demands for P&L (profits and loss) while still maintaining a customer friendly enviorment in stores that avg 6-10 mill a year, you try running a retail box that size with payroll of only a few hundred hours a week (small box hours)

So a store that is say the size of a target, Running with 200 hours, thats your Salaried employees working to death, with maybe 160 so hours toward the front end, and the small remainder going to support staff.

I ended up running myself and my salaried managers for 60-70 hour weeks because we had no payroll for hourly. I remember one day it was ME one of my store managers and an hourly employee in the store I was based at running it through a few busy hours, You had me a extremely high paid Manager running a register because the company felt that was a good use of my Salary.

Its the sickness in the American economy Number over People, and we wonder why its all falling apart.
edit on 3-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

I think your post speaks more for itself than I could ever say about it. I'm not asking anybody to put on a fake smile or be completely, unrealistically over-enthused.

Is it really too much to ask that they say, oh I don't know.. "Hello."

I go in there and they just say "What do you want?" Fine. I know work sucks as much as the next guy.

But when I leave them some tips (that they really didn't even deserve). I can't even get a "Thanks"?

Sir, you need to re-evaluate the reality you're living in. We are all in this together. It starts by dropping the zombie act and start treating each other like human beings and neighbors again.

However, I appreciate your input, thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You're bitching over nothing dude.You're also bitching just to....bitch.I got that from reading your OP and then read this. I've worked in retail as a manager and I know your type.You're the guy that comes in and wants to challenge the cashier you've never seen before.Sometimes you hit on them too than get ticked when they deny you.You try to make them feel bad that they don't know what you're talking about or that they're not as smart as you.Than they go and get their manager(that's me) and than you challenge me and I prove you wrong.You usually walk away with your tail between your legs.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I'm so glad you can make completely inaccurate character profiles of people by reading their threads. Maybe I am overreacting..I personally don't think so. You have a right to your opinion though.

And nope..I didn't try to make her feel bad. I was very patient with her (as I am whenever this situation arises). I wouldn't dream of trying to cause a stir or a scene in the store. Why? Because I've been on that end of things before.

And trying to hit on her? Ha, what a joke. It's okay, I like jokes too.

I suppose one of you guys had to come into this thread at some point though.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I'm so glad you can make completely inaccurate character profiles of people by reading their threads. Maybe I am overreacting..I personally don't think so. You have a right to your opinion though.

And nope..I didn't try to make her feel bad. I was very patient with her (as I am whenever this situation arises). I wouldn't dream of trying to cause a stir or a scene in the store. Why? Because I've been on that end of things before.

And trying to hit on her? Ha, what a joke. It's okay, I like jokes too.

I suppose one of you guys had to come into this thread at some point though.

I'm not judging your character dude.I'm just saying as a person who has worked in Retail and as a Manager..that's how you come across.

You were so patient you made it a point here to say she didn't know who Ted Danson was? Sorry dude,most people now don't know who he is any more.Especially if they're under 25.And you must've tried to hit on her or you wouldn't have gotten so offended

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Oh yeah, I tried to woo her with my trivial knowledge of Ted Danson's career. Right. I was telling a story. Usually when one tells a story, they try to use details for emphasis. Did you see the part where I admitted that it is a poor example of the case I was trying to illustrate? It's like people aren't even reading all of my post.

If your retail employees act like nihilist zombies--if this is acceptable behavior to you..then it's a wonder you're still a manager at all.

And I was so determined not to let this thread get sidetracked too.

You can have the last word if you really must.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I worked in retail years ago and I can attest that at a certain point you just stop caring. As a lowly paid employee you are abused daily on so many levels. First off management more times than not just don't give a rats behind about you as a person. I actually heard one manager refer to employees during peak season as "warm bodies". This combined with the environment of a mostly I don't care attitude from a majority of your coworkers. Most competent and helpful employees become frustrated quickly. Why should you care when nobody else does, including management? Management seems to only care about the key metrics that were harped on in the last conference call. I learned early on that attempting to improve quality of service or product is mostly pointless as well as increasing sales or profit.

The second thing that impacts the type of service of you receive in retail establishments is YOU, the customer. Not really you personally but the hoards of ignorant people that come into the store that seem to lose all common sense and any shred of intelligence the minute they cross the threshold of the front door. You suddenly have doctors, lawyers and other professionals become mindless, rude imbeciles. You actually wonder how these people function day to day. I actually had better experiences dealing with the mentally handicapped, deaf and blind people. They were polite and made every attempt to be helpful and pleasant. Now I am not saying all customers are A*holes and idiots but after dealing with so many of them you just lose patience with nearly all customers. This is especially true if your primary function is some other group of tasks that is separate from helping customers, for example, stocking shelves or doing inventory. If you don't get those non customer related tasks done you now have management threatening to cut hours or discipline you for performance because you didn't finish your totes.
In my opinion its common sense without the customers, people wouldn't have jobs, but management seems to want to focus more on task driven productivity, instead of customer service. This is the real why a lot of retail establishments are suffering.

I am friends with quite a few Law Enforcement Officers. Awhile back I asked a LEO friend why there are a good number of not so pleasant police officers and why many act like you are an escaped felon when you happen to come in contact with one. He politely responded, "After dealing with so many idiots, thieves, nasty, rude, violent people during the course of your day, you start to lose patience real quick." He also stated that after a number of people try to run, attack, kill or endanger the public you have to treat everyone like a hardened criminal. You just never know what someone is going to do.

The third and major contributing factor I believe is the quality of people that retail establishments hire. Also the poverty level wages contributes as well. While I worked with a number of competent people, there are a larger number of people that had no clue what they were doing. No product knowledge, limited ability to grasp simple workplace tasks quickly, or retain the knowledge they learned. I worked with a couple of people that worked at the store 15 years and had no clue how to look inventory up in the computer. Something myself and many others could grasp the first day. I made an attempt to teach them but they either didn't care or didn't possess the ability to retain it. Once you combine this with the competent staff that has stopped giving a crap, you end up with a large staff of people that are counting the seconds until their shifts end. When people are making 13k to 25k a year, you end up with poor quality and or poorly motivated workers.

I after a short period of working in retail I had to take a step back after realizing that maybe I was short on patience and not being as helpful as I could be to the customers that I encountered. I am not stating that the attitudes and environments that I described above occur in every retail store and place of business that deals with the public, I am just stating my experiences from my short time in the retail industry while I attending college. I am sure that there are stores that have great management and highly motivated employees. I am also not stating all retail employees are idiots or the majority of customers are deranged. This is just my honest opinion from my own experiences.

I worked in both retail and food service while in college and while I must say that I loathed almost every day working in either industry, I personally believe that I gained valuable life experience. I also gained some good motivation to better myself so I don’t need to subject myself to that kind of treatment again.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I can see it now. You're probably one of those people that can never help themselves on just creating an argument with the sales associate just to try to get them fired.

If you can't find it at the store, then buy it online.

Problem solved.

Heh. I did that just a couple weeks ago. Got a discount on the most expensive item in my cart. So, the most expensive item in my cart won't ship till 6-26-12. Now, I haven't gotten it. Check my mail, the store has changed names, here is a new link to keep up with us so you can buy more stuff! And guess what? Sorry, but your item won't ship till 7-25. Now the discount for the item, that was the most expesive item in my cart, has mysteriously fallen off the receipt from the "new" old store. Hmm. That sure worked for me!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join