It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soap bubble screen is 'the world's thinnest display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Soap bubble screen is 'the world's thinnest display

www.bbc.com

Viewers may soon be able to watch films on soap bubbles - after researchers developed a technology to project images on a screen made of soap film.

An international team produced a display that uses ultrasonic sound waves to alter film's properties and create either a flat or a 3D image.

The bubble mixture is more complex than the one sold in stores for children, but soap is still the main ingredient.

The team says the display is the world's thinnest transparent screen
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.popsci.com
dvice.com

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
To me this was a whole new way to look at things. It is not just soap that makes up this bubble they are using as a screen, but the thought of the nice opaque bubble being used as a screen is a rather nice one. What makes it such a new way of thinking, to me, is that they are using sound to create the images on the bubble. Then to get a three dimensional image you would stack three of the bubbles. This is probably still a long ways off but it does sound like a pretty cool new technology.

www.bbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i won't be happy until i can literally paint a tv onto my wall

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I won't be happy until my entire living room is the television display in 3D.

Then I'll be phantom fighting the holograms in the room... awesome!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I expect them to eventually be able to have some kind of monitor attached to the insides of our eyelids so we can be bombarded by Activon and Progressive commercials 24 hours a day.

Like tiny little annoying eye tattoos. I see it coming...literally.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
...may soon be able...

I was just thinking the other day how this is an awful phrase, overused by journalists to pretend something is closer to reality that it is.

Like this, from 2006.
Here be dragons
With luck, you may soon be able to buy a mythological pet

So I've decide that from now on, I'll treat any article that leads in with that phrase as a complete "pie in the sky" "never going to happen" idea.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Another useless advancement in useless technology.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for posting.
This technology may or may not pan out, but either way it is still pretty cool. Yes a day may come when an entire room is a three D viewing area. Yes there may some day be a chip in our brains that down loads images directly to our brain. But until then a screen the thickness of a soap film is still kina cool.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Thanks to everyone for posting.
This technology may or may not pan out, but either way it is still pretty cool. Yes a day may come when an entire room is a three D viewing area. Yes there may some day be a chip in our brains that down loads images directly to our brain. But until then a screen the thickness of a soap film is still kina cool.

Indeed it is. I am old enough to remember no microwaves, no cassette tapes, no vcrs, and cars only had an 8 track with a sad little AM signal...It still amazes me how far technology has come in my short 35 years. I can't wait to see the next 35.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Kangaruex
Very well put.

I do remember much the same so I like seeing where the innovation might go also. No matter what happens I am sure something will come from the process.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Give it a week and the MSM will be calling it a hologram. Seems like any non-LCD display is now a "hologram" like any sidearm is a Glock.

top topics

join