It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truman Show conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What if Jesus is here and knows he is being watched and doesn't give a f#ck?
What if they have tried to kill him again and again and realized that whatever is done to him just happens to them and that there is nothing that can be done to change the ending?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think my favorite line in the movie is by Cristof- “We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented."
Also was very intrigued with the moon portrayal, how its hollow and fake, and how it serves as an observation post. It bears a lot of similiarity to current moon conspiracies.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Brilliant thread (the Allegory of the cave was a great contribution as well). I've always sensed ever since watching that movie that our reality might be very similar, I think it opens something in the viewers... Not to remain content with their lives but explore, take risks and never be satisfied with other people's answers.

Quite interesting Jim Carrey was playing the main character, maybe playing that character gave him the boost to start asking questions, eventually he realized a greater truth of our existence:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Perhaps this will; answer your question... If not then maybe 'they' are something else.. maybe our own people..

This is another film that fits in very nicely with this thread, and I'm sure many of you have seen it.. if not, why not?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Yeah it did make me wonder about the moon. Especailly reading about the hollow moon conspiracy theories after viewing The Truman Show. It also plays into the holographic earth conspiracy theory and The Matrix.

After the Truman Show, Apollo 18, & Moon, I dont look at the moon the same anymore. lolzzz... Moon is also alot like the Truman Show. As well as the awesome movie Dark City.

RE: The Truman Show. I recently watched it and was amazed at how differently I perceive this movie now then I did when it first came out. I wasnt as aware then and at the time thought it was a social reference to what can hapen when reality tv is taken to the extreme. Reality tv had just started at that time.

But yeah I love this movie and I still find it hilarious and true metaphorically and hoping its not literally true but sometimes I wonder...

Particularly with 2 parts in the movie;
1) when the news is altered for Truman.
2) when the sirus camera fell from the 'sky'.
RE:
1) There are times when I am talking/thinking about something to go online/tv & what I talked/thought about is right there. Its like a deja vu moment. I used to think I was a little psychic but now I dont know. But I do think this part was put into the movie to show media manipulation/psyops.
2) I havent seen anything fall from the sky myself but read a news report last yr about a mysterious space ball falling from the sky & it reminded me of The Truman Show. I think it was mentioned that it might be part of a defunct satellite. We all should know by now that there are multiple satellites in orbit for survillence purposes. I believe they were put up there in 1991 but it might've been before then. So maybe this is what the falling camera scene is alluding to.

In a recent updated interview with the actors in special features section Truman best friend said the Truman Show is real even moreso now and looked happy saying it. Of course he didnt get into details. He also typically plays in military/authoritarian roles. psyops? The actres that played Trumans wife said she loved the role and wished that was her real life & even mention she doesnt understand/agree with critics that mention the loss of privacy or 1984. She was really creepy.

Truman last name is Burbank for Burbank CA where the show was filmed. Though he didnt know that. I would've liked to see a sequel to The Truman Show to show what happened after the end of the show & his transition to the "real world".

I think the Truman Show was also inspired by the Bubble Boy story which Jim Carey also starred in. I dont know the exact name of the movie and I havent seen it but the true story of David -Bubble Boy was donated to science prior to being born and frequently on tv. I believe he is the first person to be donated to science without consent prior to being born but thats another topic.

FYI, I dont think The Truman Show is literally true as far as people watching people without their consent/knowledge for entertainment though its possible. But I do think The Truman Show is true in the 1984 sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by butterpecan

Reading your post above it reminded me of my youth and the strange thoughts I would have in regards to being watched. In the early to mid 80s while in school I read the quote from William Shakespeare that says "All the World is a stage, and we are all but actors in a play called life". From the point of learning this and throughout the 90s every once in a while I would stop and imagine being on a circular stage surrounded by people in the audience. I remember in the beginning I would sometime look up and smile or even take a bow out of no where but as the years went by it stopped being fun and I began to sneer like they were really there almost like I was getting tired of being watched. This continued until one day I just decided not to pay anymore attention to them but that feeling never went away.

I was raised Catholic and was taught that God is always watching. This never bothered me and still does not, even to think of the possibility of its truth, but that audience, that to me was real. I actually remember thinking about this when I saw the Truman Show for the first time. This reality just does not seem to be all there is almost like we are being watched through the looking glass.

Edit to add: Welcome to the Family that is ATS.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The Trueman show is originally an OLLLLLD story that is adapted to todays more complexe and intrecate social fabric and human behaviour. This story, The Matrix and Equilibrium and many more are all remakes of Plato's cave.
Now, there maybe a story similar to Plato's cave that pre-dates Plato's then please share it.

Allegory of the Cave

Yep, folks this is it! The same same same story with some minor changes but nonetheless the same!

We are living in a world of illusions when you think about it and everybody is "in" on it. Some of us (especially ATSers) understand how the system works, we see most of all the pros and cons. The media and brainwashed sheeple tries and keeps the balance in check and promote the pros only overlooking the cons or disregarding I should say. So in a way, a lot of us are in the dark and want to stay there. However, I know this is not the case for all, since....well this site exists
. I read many posts of ATSers saying that once they understand the Hollywood "demonic magic" they can't be enchanted any more so to speak. That they don't enjoy the same things others do like music or pop culture any more and feel detached from the rest of the masses. This movie is well made and deep. Wake up people! Those stories exist for a reason. Not just for entertainment. Stories teach men how to live.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Sorry I wrote without reading the rest. Again sorry for the repeat.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
According to mental health "experts" this is called the Truman Show Delusion. According to "experts" it's a form of mental illness..

Really?

And what do the "experts" think is beyond the DOME of the Universe?

GOD? There is no DOME? It's endless? It curves?

The "experts" are people, whose work is to tell you the following...

Do not think out of the box
Obey your master and pay your taxes
Believe, and you'll be happy.

That's pretty much what the Priests have been saying to the people for thousands of years, between selling them absolution and putting them to death for reading and writing, in the tongue of "witchcraft".

Who do you think, is truly "illusioned" ?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It's just a movie.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The Philip K. Dick novel "Time Out of Joint" is almost certainly a major inspiration for "Truman Show," having a premise that is very similar in a lot of ways. The reasons the one character is being kept in a artificially created reality are very different, but the idea that he's in a fake town, has a whole life, friends and family around him who are a sham, all just to keep him believing his life is something it isn't, comes from that book.
edit on 7/3/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Just because a movie has archetypal meaning and imagery and synchronicity, it doesn't mean that conscious intent or a conspiracy is behind it. The only explanation that is needed is the collective unconscious. There is more evidence for that than conspiracies.

Originally posted by southtower

The light says "Sirius" which is the brightest star in our night sky. Sirius also is another name for Satan.
This falling star is what begins to wake Truman up to the false world around him.

This is total paranoid fundamentalist BS.

edit on 3-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This dovetails nicely with "Dark City", and how all that goes.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

This is total paranoid fundamentalist BS.

The only paranoid and fundamentalist BS, is to think it's taboo to think differently, and that it's a sign of some sort of sickness.

In reality, there are two "explanations" of what people are like:

WE: We are good, decent, honest and we fight evil where evil is.
THEY: Evil, condensating, contemplating, scheming monsters, who stop at nothing to get their way.

Now, WE are fighting THEY in a WAR ON TERROR. Now, according to that THEY are conspiring against WE.

Now, what I can say ... is that since both WE and THEY are human. And that any adjective that applies to THEY, also applies to WE. Because any adjective in use, is an adjective describing a human, since both WE and THEY are human (unless you want to suggest THEY are aliens).

So, saying that anyone who applies the adjective "conspiracy" to any part of the human race, as being paranoid ... must also apply to any other use of the adjective "conspiracy" that is being used against humans.

So, unless you want to end up in a totally absurd scenaroi of endless paradoxes, concerning adjectives and WE and THEY. The only paranoid BS that applies, is to sit in the cave of Plato and deny reality.

Here are examples, of denial of reality:

"No no, there is nobody out there with cameras, and microphones listening to people ... why would they?"
"No no no, nobody is interrested demonizing others"
"No no, nobody hates you or dislikes you. The world is full of LOVE"
"No, nobody is trying to control the public opinion"
"No, nobody is trying to put cameras in space, to watch people"

There sure are a lot of nobody's in this world, I can tell you that.

edit on 3/7/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
There was a series back in the 60's called The Prisoner that touches on the idea that we should accept being controlled through a false reality and it's futile to resist - there's no escape so either go with the flow or go mad.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22
There was a series back in the 60's called The Prisoner that touches on the idea that we should accept being controlled through a false reality and it's futile to resist - there's no escape so either go with the flow or go mad.

There is a way to escape. It's found by navigating between the controlling narratives (science and religion), between the great orthodoxies. What do both controlling narratives want to steer us away from?

Here is a hint. Religious orthodoxy condemns it as satanic and science orthodoxy condemns it as mumbo-jumbo pseudoscience.

edit on 3-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here's another movie where people live in a fake reality:

The entire movie is also on YouTube, but it's from Mystery Science Theater 3000, so expect some hilarious commentary.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I would take that link off to the movie, your thread might get closed because of it.

All threw out history culters have referred to a abstract beings called "the watchers"
www.ufodigest.com...
www.andrewcollins.com...

Really makes you wonder.

edit on 3-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I tend to say the similar, odd world we live in here.... Brown nosers, lots of question with litle answer or none at all. People tend to run away, distract, or make irritating excusses when asked directly.... Maybe they are just dumb or like to play it safe, but dont you even think your own parents and relatives (even friends) and society, act really really awkward sometimes? :|
edit on 3-7-2012 by coyote66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
This post made me think of something, at what point does a different way of thinking or looking at things qualify you as insane? At one time it was quite mad to think the world was round or that there were tiny living things that lived in the air and water that could make you sick. What is the tipping point between abstract thinking and madness and who gets to make that call?
edit on 2-7-2012 by Ladysophiaofsandoz because: opps

When the ignorant fearful masses, with no vision, imagination, or intuition finally accept what is painfully obvious to the mad man then he shall finally regain his sanity.

“A powerful wizard, who wanted to destroy an entire kingdom, placed a magic potion in the well from which all the inhabitants drank so that Whosoever drinks that water would go mad.

“The following morning, the whole population drank from the well at the center of town and they all went mad, apart from the king and his family, who had a well set aside for them alone, which the magician had not managed to poison. The king was worried and tried to control the population by issuing a series of edicts governing security and public health. The policemen and inspectors, however, had also drunk the poisoned water, and they thought the king’s decisions were absurd and resolved to take no notice of them.

“When the inhabitants of the kingdom heard these decrees, they became convinced that the king had gone mad and was now giving nonsensical orders. They marched on the castle and called for his abdication.

“In despair the king prepared to step down from the throne, but the queen stopped him, saying ‘Let us go and drink from the communal well. Then we will be the same as them.’

“And that was what they did: The king and the queen drank the water of madness and immediately began talking nonsense. Their subjects repented at once; now that the king was displaying such wisdom, why not allow him to continue ruling the country?

“The country continued to live in peace, although its inhabitants behaved very differently from those of its neighbors. And the king was able to govern until the end of his days.”

edit on 3-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join