It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Stupid in America'' - Documentary America's education system.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I watched this documentary last night and although I'm not American, I found it very interesting.

An anchor for the 20/20 news team takes a look at the American education system and easily proves that it isn't money that brings a good education - It's the teachers.
He talks about the zoning rule and how parents with a lesser income are practically forced to send their children to poorly performing schools.
He compares test results of American students to students over seas and finds that those students perform a lot better.

I recommend you take the time to watch it whether you have kids at school or not, opened my eyes to the importance of choice and competition.

topdocumentaryfilms.com... That's the link to the documentary.

This is the description for it

Stupid in America is a nasty title for a program about public education, but some nasty things are going on in America’s public schools and it’s about time we face up to it. Kids at New York’s Abraham Lincoln High School told me their teachers are so dull students fall asleep in class. One student said, “You see kids all the time walking in the school smoking weed, you know. It’s a normal thing here.” We tried to bring “20/20? cameras into New York City schools to see for ourselves and show you what’s going on in the schools, but officials wouldn’t allow it. Washington, D.C., officials steered us to the best classrooms in their district. We wanted to tape typical classrooms but were turned down in state after state. Finally, school officials in Washington, D.C., allowed “20/20? to give cameras to a few students who were handpicked at two schools they’d handpicked. One was Woodrow Wilson High. Newsweek says it’s one of the best schools in America. Yet what the students taped didn’t inspire confidence. One teacher didn’t have control over the kids. Another “20/20? student cameraman videotaped a boy dancing wildly with his shirt off, in front of his teacher. Watch this free online documentary and make up your own mind…is the American school system producing stupid citizens?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I can agree with that documentary without even watching it, I went to a terrible school.

We had about a 75% dropout rate, the teachers had no control over the students. We would just completely ignore the teachers.

Example:
-Teacher would give a test, most did not take it.
-Teacher would give a test and let us use our textbooks,still most did not take the test.
-Teacher pulled out the overhead projector, went through the whole test with us and gave all the answers. only a few took the test.

Don't get me wrong, some of the teachers were very good, and they cared. But most of them were lost without their "teacher's edition" textbook. And the student's didn't care because they faced no repercussions at home.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the kids are raised at home these days.

And vote for me for ATS Regent! ATS Regent Election Thread

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You want to watch another informative documentary on America's education system? I highly recommend "Waiting for Superman"

It will show you how our public school education system is set up and all of the "drop out factories" in the U.S.

They practically push kids through school and most kids want to learn but the teachers just are there to get a paycheck and not for the kids. Most kids in the U.S. want to learn more, but are given up on.. I blame the teachers and their "I have tenure" attitudes.

I watched it in one of my college courses.. informative and sad.

edit on 2-7-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

Aside from having lower test scores, sadly, many public schools and universities in America are less about education and more about indoctrination and revisionist history.

A new law took effect January 1 requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays, lesbians, and transgendered individuals in its history lessons. That alone is proving unpopular with some. But the real issue is that the law also bans teaching material that reflects "adversely" on gays or religions.

In addition to the free speech implications, the state is essentially codifying revisionist history. If certain groups don't look good, their history doesn't get taught, at least not in its full context. It'd be like glossing over the attack on Pearl Harbor for fear of offending Japanese-Americans, or leaving out portions of the Civil War because it might make Southerners look bad.

It's the epitome of intellectual dishonesty, yet it's now the law of the land in the nation's most populous state. And it's more than political correctness run amok -- it's dangerous.
link

The public school system inparticular is terrible in many areas. IMO parents should be able to use vouchers and send their kids to the school of their choice. The more students the school attracts and the higher test scores its students demonstrate the more funding that school gets. This would spur competition and raise the overall quality of the school system while weeding out underperforming schools.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
And yet many people believe the new generation(generation z) will save their sorry @**es from the collapse of the economy. Really I wonder what have our world turn into?
edit on 2-7-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I can agree with that documentary without even watching it, I went to a terrible school.

We had about a 75% dropout rate, the teachers had no control over the students. We would just completely ignore the teachers.

Example:
-Teacher would give a test, most did not take it.
-Teacher would give a test and let us use our textbooks,still most did not take the test.
-Teacher pulled out the overhead projector, went through the whole test with us and gave all the answers. only a few took the test.

Don't get me wrong, some of the teachers were very good, and they cared. But most of them were lost without their "teacher's edition" textbook. And the student's didn't care because they faced no repercussions at home.

And vote for me for ATS Regent! ATS Regent Election Thread

Thats basically what happened in the high school I went to. Only when the teachers gave answers the students payed attention to get a free A. It was like that for just about every test. Its these laws that say a certain number of students have to pass for the school to stay open.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

They practically push kids through school and most kids want to learn but the teachers just are there to get a paycheck and not for the kids. Most kids in the U.S. want to learn more, but are given up on.. I blame the teachers and their "I have tenure" attitudes.
reply to post by 31Bravo

I can agree that part of the problem with public education is social promotion. Having said that, lets put the blame where it belongs. Administrators and school districts expect teachers to do this to improve data concerning drop out and failure rates. Teachers are following an unwritten rule handed down by the people who are supposed to be concerned about education and not public opinion.

As far as your statement about most kids want to learn...If I had to put a percentage on how many truly want to learn based upon my 19 years of teaching, it would only be an average of 33%. Keep in mind, there is a direct correlation between a school that has a higher percentage of children in poverty, compared to a school that has a higher percentage of middle class students. The students who come from families who's parents have a college education, have a much higher tendency to be motivated, and take their education much more seriously. Those students who come from families who have parents who are drop outs, living on welfare or have only a high school education tend to be less motivated toward their education.

This is not to say that poverty students don't do well, it depends upon how well their parents stress the importance of a good education. They have to be involved in their children's education. Out of 50 students on my roster, I would consider seeing 10 parents during Parent Teacher Conferences a good turnout, and I work in a poverty stricken school district. In fact, I've only reached that once during my 19 years of teaching.

I would suggest anyone who truly wants to know about a generation of apathy towards education, is to spend a day in an inner city high school. I really get tired of people pointing the finger at teachers. Sure, you will always have some poor performing teachers, but to think that teachers are the sole cause of the decline in education is really being short sighted. Students have more technology at their finger tips to do research papers, and to learn in a visual media environment than in years past.

We have a school that opened a few years back that only accepts students with a 3.0 GPA or higher. A lot of those teachers who teach at that school were transferred to the low performing high school. The school is ranked near the top in the state and in the top 75 high schools in the nation. This clearly shows that it's not poor teaching that causes a failing school it's the caliber of the student. If a student is motivated to learn schools will prosper. Just like the saying goes " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

The other problem is students today face no discipline. There's no accountability if a student decides to just vegetate in class. They have no fear of the consequences of suspensions or detentions. They simply don't care, period.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

The overall standard of education worldwide in 2011 the USA stands at 14th; Australia is 8th. By saying that, Australia appears to be sliding and I would'nt be surprised within the next two years Australia falls a notch or two.

14th is still relatively good in the Western world but if the American education system is not fixed within the next year or two you can expect the USA to fall to 18-20th on the international band.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

We had about a 75% dropout rate, the teachers had no control over the students. We would just completely ignore the teachers. Example: -Teacher would give a test, most did not take it. -Teacher would give a test and let us use our textbooks,still most did not take the test. -Teacher pulled out the overhead projector, went through the whole test with us and gave all the answers. only a few took the test.
reply to post by watchitburn

So what does that tell you about the students? They sure didn't care about learning anything. When you're in high school, the teacher shouldn't have to spend 75% of the time on discipline and trying to get students to pay attention. What's the consequence for not taking a test? If a student refuses to take the test the teacher can't physically force you to take it. Students are responsible for their own actions. The grade you receive is your consequence for a lack of participation.

I guarantee the teachers that did care, still had students that didn't want to do any work. I'm one of those teachers and I'm completely mentally exhausted by the end of the day. Is it really fair to the teacher to have students act like immature grade school kids when they should know better? It really comes down to respect and understanding you're in school to learn. I've had students who would show up everyday without a pencil or a pen. That says a lot right there.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's kind'a scary if we produce students like them. However, the blame shouldn't be to the teachers or there shouldn't be blame. Yes, teachers are part of their professional growth but students are responsible also for their knowledge learned too. The first teachers are believe to be parents or mothers so basic training of discipline and being responsible should be learned from their home and apply it wherever they go. In that way, they'll learn to work on their own assignments like free essays about their own choice of topic.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Exactly.

School is designed to teach children, younger or older, maths, languages, physics, chemistry, philosophy, psychology, arts, history, etc. That's education.

Home with your parents and family is where you learn to be polite, well grown (which has nothing to do with well educated), respectful, to say hello and thank you, etc. That's life.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
How about the blame cuts several ways.

The county board of education and the administration... in the county I used to live in, the Administration Building looked like a brick and glass version of the "death star"... totally modern. Meanwhile, the student growth in the county was so overwhelming, the kids were being taught in rows of trailers... looked like a 6th grade version of Stalag 17.

The teachers mean well and many are motivated, but they concentrate on EOG... End Of Grade Teasting. That is the hurdle everyone aims for. So each curriculum is set up to pass the EOG... no time for extra book reports, no time for debates, no time for exercising critical thought or Socratic Methods of learning... just focus on passing the 137 questions on the EOG. They take it several times during the year... have practice and dry runs... if not good enough, then "let's do it again... from the top" This in my opinion has killed the education system. They know the answer to question #42... but don't know why the answer is the answer.

They know the who and when... don't know why?

Last... the parents. If I had done some of the things that students do now... I would have been spanked, disciplined, paddled...whatever... no TV, No nothing and made to apologize to the teacher... gotten all kinds of chores... grounded... the whole shebang.

Now... kids get away with murder... sometimes literally... and everyone is afraid to discipline... "porr Johnny is misunderstood... Lil Susie has feelings"...horse stuff... they are rambunctious kids and teens and need someone to sit on them. Most kids want supervision... ask the heavy handed football coaches or basket ball coaches... ran programs like a DI at Paris Island and the kids loved him... or her.

Kids come into my store and can't read, can't figure out simple math problems, can't visualize and estimate, can't use common sense to address everyday challenges...it really is quite sad.

On the other hand... there are excellent school systems, exellent parents, and excellent students... some of the young men and women I meet are awesome and they give me hope that the best days for America are yet to come...

Now if some of them would run for office.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
HA HA HA

I am having a good time this morning laughing here on ATS.

face it ... TPTB only want people who can problem solve , "how to get to the next level" and not real world problem solving...

After all we can't have educated sheeples who can see through our line of bull#! Now, my blood is starting to boil. I see Americans on the left and right divided and easily conquered through manipulation....face it

60 percent of the country is so blinded by partisanship they can't see straight!

it is really a great show if you stand back and watch the left and right march into tyranny!!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

So what does that tell you about the students? They sure didn't care about learning anything. When you're in high school, the teacher shouldn't have to spend 75% of the time on discipline and trying to get students to pay attention. What's the consequence for not taking a test? If a student refuses to take the test the teacher can't physically force you to take it. Students are responsible for their own actions. The grade you receive is your consequence for a lack of participation.
reply to post by WeRpeons

It just burns me up when a person who calls himself a teacher, when in reality they are no more than "change-agents" (that indoctrinate the Globalist agenda) blame the children for their failure to be effective teachers. The government has been pushing out real teachers over 20 years ago, because WE refuse to go a long with training kids like we train animals and bully the parents into submission. You teachers of today work for that paycheck and benefits, you blame the children for your ineffectiveness, I say bs! Any person with a professional job title ought to be effective in their profession, that simple...quit making excuses...the world knows it, you know it too!

You teachers never protest when it comes to the rampant maltreatment of children in the school system but, you all go out all fired up when some of your benefits are at risk (so don't even use that bs that you guys care for the children, time has shown that to be a lie). The character of the average teacher is well known by now, and it shows that the best interest of the children have not been the top priority for the school system for decades and you know it.

It's pathetic for you to blame the children who have had no choice but endure being trained as animals for 12 years without regard to what is best for them, shame on you. The children of at least two generations have been robbed of the basic education parents paid for to properly educated their child in reading, writing and math.

You guys don't deserve more wages than what a burger flipper gets, at least the burger flipper gets the burger right most of the time.
edit on 12-7-2012 by OldSchoolMom because: spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

However, the blame shouldn't be to the teachers or there shouldn't be blame.
reply to post by Dgodinez

Ah, so let's excuse the professional auto mechanic when he can't fix any cars..(it's the car at fault)
let's excuse the Lawyer who cannot win any cases (it's the system at fault)
let's excuse the doctor for not being able to properly diagnose his patience. (it's the patient's fault)
let's excuse the teacher for failing to teach basic skills (it's the student's fault)

You are a good example of what the "outcomes based education" produces...nice critical thinking there... good example of what the education system means when they say they are teaching "critical thinking skills"....

Tell me, what are those diplomas for again???

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldSchoolMom

Where do you get off blaming thousands of teachers for the poor performance of a generation of children! Let me give you a bit of my background before you continue spreading your hate and blame on teachers.

I was an owner of my own business and worked in the are of my teaching field for 10 years. I worked beside people just like you living paycheck to paycheck. I think I have more experience than you to evaluate and to honestly explain what is wrong with the public education system today. I've worked in both worlds, the government and the private sector. I've attended college and a technical school. I have received many accolades for my unique way of teaching. I've had many of my students go on to become engineers or they have become productive citizens.

You might as well group yourself in with the government officials who blindly set policy for public schools when they have never stepped foot in a classroom or observed the apathetic nature of students today. These blind and ignorant policies are some of the major causes of failing schools. Kids are not products on a conveyor belt, they each have unique variables that affect how they learn, behave and interact.

-Do you honestly think social promotion was an idea created by teachers?

-Do you honestly think all students can perform at a proficiency level?

-Do you honestly think growing up poor, or living in a dysfunctional family doesn't affect a student's ability to learn?

-Do you honestly believe that all parents are great role models for their children?

-Do you honestly think large class sizes help children learn and give them the attention they need?

-Do you honestly believe that you can control classroom disruptions if students have no consequences?

You talk like teachers all teach the same way as they did 40 years ago. Most classrooms across this country have utilized technology such as interactive white boards, projectors, computers, and hands on learning projects. I myself and many other teachers refuse to teach the way we were taught 40 years ago. Taking notes and listening to a teacher lecture for an hour isn't my idea of keeping a students interest. Having said that, my students have access to everything above and than some. If this doesn't engage students I don't know what else can.

Unfortunately, you sound like you have a deep hate for teachers. Do you honestly think thousands of teachers across this country are failing kids because they want to? Kids are not being held accountable for apathetic behavior in the classroom. You talk about the old way of learning, have you attended college? Most college classes are just like that. Sit, take notes and listen to a professor lecture. There's no magic bullet on ways to make kids learn. They're either motivated to learn or not. If I have a student in class that refuses to participate in activities that involve technology or a fun way of learning, there's something definitely wrong with his or her attitude about learning. When I have students who use the F bomb when I try to motivate them so they don't fail the class, there's a problem with how they were taught to respect people.

When I entered the classroom after working in the private sector, I was astonished how most students were lazy, disrespectful and apathetic. I constantly had to remind students that the workplace didn't accept their kind of behavior. Changing the mind set of these students are the hardest part of my job.

I regularly have outside business people coming in to speak to my class, and on many occasions they are astonished at what they see and hear in the hallways and in the classroom. Ask any employer in the country the biggest problem with new employees and they'll all tell you work ethics. That is just a simple fact. That alone tells you a lot about the lack of motivation of young people coming out of high school today.

So before you spew hate and paint teachers with a broad brush accusing them of failing a generation, maybe you should observe a classroom for a week in an inner-city school and than form your opinions. As far as teachers flipping burgers, if you think they don't earn their pay, or if you think the grass is greener on the other side, may I suggest you earn a teaching degree and experience it for yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Well said......the maltreatment of children with disabilities in special units in the USA is a damn disgrace.

On the other side of the token, although there are similar issues although not as bad here in Australia I believe teachers should be paid by merit and school principals should be able to sack any teacher who is not up to standard.

I hate to say it but Geography among Americans (both students and adults) is extemely poor compared to the rest of the world - even in sub standard nations
edit on 12-7-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Where do you get off blaming thousands of teachers for the poor performance of a generation of children! Let me give you a bit of my background before you continue spreading your hate and blame on teachers.
reply to post by WeRpeons

First darling, it is not a generation of children, it has been 2.5 generations of children that have been robbed of the basic education they need. That means we now have an explosion of dysfunctional parents with improper behaviors and attitudes because of this education system. This is why you encounter so many parents that have almost a "child-like mind" (I didn't know how else to say it, without offending) and new teachers that end up in the news so often for inappropriate behavior.

I think I have more experience than you to evaluate and to honestly explain what is wrong with the public education system today. I've worked in both worlds, the government and the private sector. I've attended college and a technical school. I have received many accolades for my unique way of teaching. I've had many of my students go on to become engineers or they have become productive citizens.

I have 26 years in education, with a low estimate of 30,000 hours of research in education, pedagogical testing research for beginner teachers & specialists, licensure tests, American education legislation (back to 1974), policy, learning processes, methods, development, root-cause analysis, formal and informal processes of education, ETS and NES tests (and results),... I could go on. By blaming the child in your last comment, clearly you can only explain your insight from a teachers perspective.

You might as well group yourself in with the government officials who blindly set policy for public schools when they have never stepped foot in a classroom or observed the apathetic nature of students today.

No sir, the policies are set by the federal government, even though they claim that most are set at the state and local level, the guidelines come from the fed. I would argue that you are blind, since you don't have a clear understanding of the system in which you work (I do not intend to offend, just using your words).

Allow me explain:

The fed says to the states, "by accepting this money you agree too XYZ, we don't care how you do it, but it must include XYZ". The state takes the money and creates a plan to have XYZ in their policy. Then the state asks the regional/local districts if they want the money, and they say yes.... then the state says, "you can have the money but you have to agree to XYZ". Now do you understand? It is not blind at all, all of the federal government intentions/controls are written in the legislation they pass. These my friend, are called "mandates". You might not believe it, but they know exactly what they are doing.

These blind and ignorant policies are some of the major causes of failing schools. Kids are not products on a conveyor belt, they each have unique variables that affect how they learn, behave and interact.

I agree that they are the major causes for failing our children, but I disagree that they are "blind and ignorant". As I said a minute ago, the system is designed exactly how it was intended to be by the Federal government. Are you getting it yet? (Earlier, my hateful comments (as you call them) are because you blamed the kids).

Do you honestly think social promotion was an idea created by teachers?

Nope. But what do you guys do? You do what you are told, you and every teacher in a government funded school (including all public colleges, and charter schools) will plan and teach whatever learning nugget you are given. Those lessons give very little attention to the basic skills a child needs in their elementary years, and have much to do about behavior modification and control.

If you are a high school teacher, you are getting products of the elementary system, that is the major reason we see such a drastic increase in behavior and attitude problems from 20 years ago.

Do you honestly think all students can perform at a proficiency level?

The question should be proficient at what? I do not believe the type of behavior modification being done in the system is anything less than a crime. Most parents believe their child will get teachers who teach, not "change-agents that teach "what" to think rather than "how" to think. If you are truly interested in how this is done, I will be happy to add a post with examples (it's quite interesting, but, it's almost 4 am here, I need sleep tonight...you owe me a virtual coffee for keeping me up so late with all your questions haha).

I will continue to reply to your questions in another post, I have run out of characters.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Continued: (reply to post by WeRpeons)

-Do you honestly think growing up poor, or living in a dysfunctional family doesn't affect a student's ability to learn?

Let's address the "poor" aspect first.

If the education system put the basics as the top priority first (reading, writing, and math) and made sure the kids master those 3 basics, then the child will be able to have a better chance to pull himself out of the cycle of poverty and not end up like his parents. Teaching a child to master reading and writing is critical so they have the ability to expand their knowledge, understand contracts, communicate their ideas and interests independently. Teaching a poor child basic math skills so they can balance a checkbook and manage their own finances rather than being dependent on another for his own financial affairs. This knowledge gives the child the ability to independently function in society and the confidence that so many lack today.

If the poor child received these basic skills, he has a better chance to pull himself out of poverty.

The dysfunctional family however is a grave situation. The educational system has created an explosion of inept "child-adults". This does do more harm to society. The error here is these people have been trained like animals (Pavlov Conditioning). I don't intend to offend but it is the truth and although I have had only a few years in the field of psychology, I understand that only short-term classical conditioning may be reversible, that would not apply to the circumstance we have here. Research has been done on the issue:

The Effects of Reversible Inactivation of the Red Nucleus on Learning-Related and Auditory-Evoked Unit Activity in the Pontine Nuclei of Classically Conditioned Rabbits M. Claire Cartford, 1 Elizabeth B. Gohl, Maria Singson, and David G. Lavond Departments of Psychology and Biological Sciences University of Southern California Los Angeles, California 90089-2520

-Do you honestly believe that all parents are great role models for their children?

No, I do not. But, I do believe every parent is ultimately responsible for the well being of their own children and it is their job to train and protect their child from harm. I am sure parents were/are not aware that their children were/are being used as lab rats instead of receiving a proper education. Also, I am curious as to who you think are the best role models for children....teachers?
Google: "teachers exposed"
Children are not government property. What has been done to these generations through the education system, I would list as the highest crime in our American history.

-Do you honestly think large class sizes help children learn and give them the attention they need?

I have explained the problem, this question is of no practical importance in relation to the real issue of our little discussion here.... I can almost hear a plea for more funding coming at any moment (just kidding, baby...I know you aren't even going to play the "we need money" card.... ha).

-Do you honestly believe that you can control classroom disruptions if students have no consequences?

lol.. sorry for laughing but, the education system has treated these kids like animals from 5 years old. Those who won't conform, get "diagnosed" and "drugged"and you expect them to come to high school any different?
They had no consequences but as you can see, there is a trend of police intervention (all planned)...including handcuffing, being tasered, parent's being fined for minor infractions..... Does that comfort you?

Unfortunately, you sound like you have a deep hate for teachers. Do you honestly think thousands of teachers across this country are failing kids because they want to?

Nope. But I do think they are not being honest with the public and with parents about why children are not learning the basics. I think the system is filling these teaching positions with people who will do what they are told regardless of the damage it does to the child and removing anyone who openly objects to the program.

Kids are not being held accountable for apathetic behavior in the classroom.

The "professionals" are not held accountable for their apathetic behavior. Nor are they held accountable for their failure to be marginally effective in their professional capacity. Again, would you pay your accountant, if he was not able to do the job in which he was hired to do?

edit on 13-7-2012 by OldSchoolMom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Continued: (reply to post by WeRpeons)

You talk about the old way of learning, have you attended college?

I have 234 credit hours to date.

Most college classes are just like that. Sit, take notes and listen to a professor lecture.

Yep, most college professors make class so boring, most only show up because they have too. Many are as apathetic as the students you complain about (kids learn by example baby).

There's no magic bullet on ways to make kids learn.

A competent teacher doesn't need to "make" kids learn.
A competent teacher knows how to create interest in a subject. A competent teacher knows how to stir a child's curiosity (they are naturally curious...well they are, until some teacher squashes all their hope). A competent teacher can provoke participation creatively and in a way that the child looks forward to the next lesson. A competent teacher will speak to them with respect because that is the type of behavior is expected from all involved. A competent teacher will be consistent in the way the class is managed, so the child can know what is expected of him.

They're either motivated to learn or not.

No baby, it is the teachers job to teach effectively and if they need to be motivated to learn then it is your duty to motivate them.

If I have a student in class that refuses to participate in activities that involve technology or a fun way of learning, there's something definitely wrong with his or her attitude about learning.

Oh wow! Are you kidding? Since when does a child not want to participate in fun stuff? Kids get negative attitudes about learning because they have had negative learning experiences, they are human.

Again, your the teacher, I see you with the attitude. Instead of considering that maybe you are missing the mark, you blame the kid? It is your job to figure out why, and until the kid feels he could trust you (that you actually do give a dam), you ought to be finding creative ways to interest him into participating...that is your job!

When I have students who use the F bomb when I try to motivate them so they don't fail the class, there's a problem with how they were taught to respect people.

Respect? Everything you have said about kids in these threads show a profound disrespect for them. Do you think they will respect you if you disrespect them? Kids learn by example buddy, you ought to know that.

Changing the mind set of these students are the hardest part of my job.

At least you admit that it is part of your job. I don't want to sound uncaring or hateful ok....It sounds to me like your students do not have respect for you. Respect is earned and it might be a good idea to work on that. It would really make your job more enjoyable.

Ask any employer in the country the biggest problem with new employees and they'll all tell you work ethics.

I agree! Look at your whining and complaining about the kids, ineffectiveness and the lack of control you have in your own class.... I see that as a lack of work ethics. It is your job, you are supposed to be able to control a class, be effective and take responsibility for your own shortcomings. (again, be a good example of a responsible adult, kids don't respect hypocrites).
But actually, you are incorrect, employers biggest complaint is that we don't have enough skilled workers.

So before you spew hate and paint teachers with a broad brush accusing them of failing a generation, maybe you should observe a classroom for a week in an inner-city school and than form your opinions. As far as teachers flipping burgers, if you think they don't earn their pay, or if you think the grass is greener on the other side, may I suggest you earn a teaching degree and experience it for yourself.

I stand by what I have said. I started in an inner-city school way back when, probably before you graduated high-school.
No, I don't think you earn your pay as a teacher (teachers can teach)...now if your title was babysitter, then yes.

Feel free to teach me something else.......anytime baby

top topics

<<   2 >>

join