It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harlem Couple Branded 'Professional Agitators' in NYPD 'Wanted' Poster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wow. This takes the cake.

HARLEM — The NYPD has created a "wanted" poster for a Harlem couple who film cops conducting stop-and-frisks and post the videos on YouTube — branding them "professional agitators" who portray cops in a bad light and listing their home address, DNAinfo.com New York has learned.

Be aware that above subjects are known professional agitators," read the flyer, which bears the NYPD shield and a seal of the NYPD's Intelligence Division. It also gave the home address of the couple. "Above subjects MO is that they video tape officers performing routine stops and post on YouTube," the sign said. "Subjects purpose is to portray officers in a negative way and too deter officers from conducting there [sic] responsibilities

Someone is going to look at that and see my face on what looks like a wanted poster," said Gonzalez. "Anyone who doesn't know about our videos and know us will look at those mugshots, read about us being so-called agitators who interfere with police activity, and see criminals."

So much for community activism. If they can't arrest you for filming them, they are now publicly harrasing you.

But Gonzalez and Swaye see the flyer as an effort to "discredit" and "shame" them for protesting what they feel is a civil rights issue, while also potentially endangering them by putting their home address on the flyer.

Warning Don't film the police.

professional agitators

ColoradoJens
edit on 2-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Omfg. Just when you thought nyc couldnt get any stupider. This is a violation of god given inalienable rights and these folks need to sue. I would donate several hundred to their legal fund!
edit on 2-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
'...branding them "professional agitators" who portray cops in a bad light...'

If the cops are only doing their jobs in a lighthanded and professional manner, which is apparently what they'd have us believe, how would it be possible to portray them in a bad light? Are we to believe that they're editing the videos in a manner to make the cops look bad? If that's what they're doing, then I can't blame the cops; on the other hand, why would I believe that?

Why is it that I think it's the cops themselves who are portraying cops in a bad light?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

It seems as if it is such a big issue for the cops...why are they so scared if what they are doing is legal? Is it really in their best interest to be posting people's addresses whom they disagree with? And it appears now if you are an activist in any fashion you are labled an "agitator". Sad, really.

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Surely some no win no fee lawyers can get their vulture like claws into this and do something about it?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

If the cops are only doing their jobs in a lighthanded and professional manner, which is apparently what they'd have us believe, how would it be possible to portray them in a bad light? Are we to believe that they're editing the videos in a manner to make the cops look bad? If that's what they're doing, then I can't blame the cops; on the other hand, why would I believe that?

Why is it that I think it's the cops themselves who are portraying cops in a bad light?

Couldn't agree more. What is it that makes cops so afraid of accountability? We as a society have accepted the fact we are on camera 24/7 - did they not get the memo?

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Seeing its New York and their,"professional ,,,,,agitators",, they can probably bust them for being,,profesional ,
not your average run of the mill,,amatuer agitators,,,

",,get ur Diploma,,join at TRADE,,,,,Professional Agitator,,,,,
only 29.99 plus all applicable sales tax.
hurry now ,

and get Professional # Disturber,,
thats right,, u move a lot of #,,?,,then u need
Professional,, # disturber Licence as well,, who says Trades are not booming

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Accountability. Couldn't have said it better. There's a trend toward militarization of police forces since 9/11. Their hiring and training practices are changing. They're insisting upon instant obedience, and going to their tazers more and more often. The last thing they want is accountability.

And now stooping to this: Demonizing critics and publishing home addresses. And you have to ask yourself why? So that if a call comes in from that address--if the citizens at that address are under threat or in trouble--there's no particular hurry to get there? Makes you wonder....

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Accountability. Couldn't have said it better. There's a trend toward militarization of police forces since 9/11. Their hiring and training practices are changing. They're insisting upon instant obedience, and going to their tazers more and more often. The last thing they want is accountability.

And now stooping to this: Demonizing critics and publishing home addresses. And you have to ask yourself why? So that if a call comes in from that address--if the citizens at that address are under threat or in trouble--there's no particular hurry to get there? Makes you wonder....

Gracias Ex_CT2. How is this anything other than harrasment if they are not going to be charging with them a crime? Demonizing their critics is a great way to put it. Scaring the population into subservience.

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Just when you think you have seen and heard it all and that nothing would surprise you, along comes something like this. Unbelievable, but just shows how low NYPD will stoop.

Good find OP and thanks for bringing this to ATS. S&F

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Three words SUE SUE SUE!

[snip] those commie bastards. Posting your address is a violation of the law. If they do not sue and win millions it is time to start the culling.........
edit on 2/7/12 by masqua because: edited censor circumvention

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

I know; it is almost childish in its pathetic nature. You wouldn't think they could stoop so low, but then again, we all know it is not really that shocking. Too bad a majority just really don't care and would say, well, maybe these people should just stop filming!

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'd sue for slander and libel if I were them.

How the hell is filming police agitating things?

I'm getting real tire of the police thinking they're so special.

Good guys have nothing to hide, the cops say.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Oh, they sure believe they are special. I too am getting tired of this, "we are the authority, you need to shut up and listen to us" attitude. Don't they have drones now to spy on us? Why are they exempt from "being policed"? Perhaps it is because they break the law so much?

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

it's not fear of accountability
they presume that it's their god given right to be P's OS

especially given their role in Bloomberg's
"war against the poor" gentrification of NYC

he constantly refers to them as his personal army

S&F for the news from my hometown

edit on 2-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

What up Harlem? I lived 9 years in Manhattan and dang is it not obvious where the police and mayor spend their time...too bad we all can't be upper west siders, then we'd have it good...

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

It seems as if it is such a big issue for the cops...why are they so scared if what they are doing is legal? Is it really in their best interest to be posting people's addresses whom they disagree with? And it appears now if you are an activist in any fashion you are labled an "agitator". Sad, really.

CJ

You know darn well the reasons. Also interesting to note is that cops record everything!

I see cops doing shady # all the time. But i also drive several hundred miles a day. Hell, ever seen when one radars you and radios to another to pull you over? If you take it to court they both have to show up!

Do you realize the dangers involved in being pulled over by the popo? They put your life, and especially their life on the line to pull you over. With that in mind it really pisses me off when they pull me over for stupid crap...like seatbelts. Risk my life to save my life? Wtf?

Got pulled over for doing "6 over" once. I may have been, but i had more important things to pay attention to than my speedometer. Stupid drivers to be specific! Oh and the cop forgot to turn his lights on. Lmao!!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yep, you are right - and I always was told 6 over was the "acceptable limit"! Just think though, in every town is a "bad" neighborhood. Drugs, prostitution, murder, etc. How come the cops don't just park it there and nail all the obvious criminals? I think that might even be more dangerous than pulling over speeders - in other words, it ain't gonna happen.

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Over the past 20 years NYC has turned into a police state. Ever since mayor Gulianni took office all the cops have turned into ball busters. 911 sealed the deal and they tightened the leash. By the time Bloomberg came in, any ounce of character NYC had was sucked out and I would rather live anywhere but here. How hard is it to get citizenship in Canada?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Yep, you are right - and I always was told 6 over was the "acceptable limit"! Just think though, in every town is a "bad" neighborhood. Drugs, prostitution, murder, etc. How come the cops don't just park it there and nail all the obvious criminals? I think that might even be more dangerous than pulling over speeders - in other words, it ain't gonna happen.

CJ

Funny thing is that was in indiana. I can pass a cop in indiana doing 80 in a 70 in a car and they never so much as look at me. But that was in a semi and they have the retarded split speed limit.....70 for csrs 65 for trucks. Cause trucks blow up as soon as they hit 70. I also have illinois plates on my truck and they seem to pull illinois drivers over to an unfair extreme. Michigan plates on my car....hah.

Michigan is 70, 60 for trucks. Better not do 5 over in a truck either. Well i do 65 so swift trucks dont pass me....swift drivers are a story for another thread though....
again, i can pass a cop doing 80 in my car and they dont bat an eyelash.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join