It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will some of us have to become illegal immigrants?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm coming at this from a standpoint of great terror. The Medicaid expansion under Obama's healthcare plan only applies to 133% of poverty level. So that means that that, even though I'm already going to be struggling making 15 or 16k a year, I still have to somehow purchase insurance. Well, the thing of it is, I can't afford it. I mean, I just can't do it.

I have student loans to pay, rent food and utilities are sky high, and, I mean, I can't afford 2 and 300 dollars a month for insurance. My fear is that I'm going to be too poor to pay the fine as well and am going to wind up in jail.

I mean, we don't all have schedules flexible enough to allow for 2 or 3 jobs, especially when you're working a variable schedule like I'm winding up with.

The only option that I really see is to somehow get lucky enough to get a better job or illegally immigrate somewhere else. I don't know how others look at it, but I suspect I'm not the only one.

I know this sounds like whining, but I am genuinely terrified.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yea, thats the answer.

Go ahead, go immigrate to somewhere else illegally.

"Because of Obama, I have it worse than an illegal"

Pure BS, Go immigrate, Ill wait for you to come crying back and pay the fine willing after you experience life as an illegal in any other country.

I don't like the bill, and I don't like Obama, but come on.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

...In there, I talked about being too poor to afford the fine and being chucked in prison because of it. So I can't really pay the fine....because I can't afford it. So I'm going to be put in jail. Which makes me wonder if I won't be forced to illegally immigrate somewhere else because my country has named me a criminal for being poor.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Guess whats gona happen as an illegal in another country...

Chucked in prison WITH OUT RIGHTS.

so like I said, go...

Ill wait.

My point being your not leaving, and your just adding to the decisive hyperbole that is already a cancer in this nation.

Yes it may be hard for you, but you know dang well you are not immigrating, no better than Rush making similar statements of leaving.
edit on 2-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
how will you deal with being a scapegoat of the ignorant ?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Holy crap. I'm terrified that I'm going to be chucked into prison. Now, please, if you know something in that bill that I'm missing, TELL ME.

Please. I'm TERRIFIED that I'm going to be PUT IN PRISON FOR BEING POOR.

Jesus Christ.
edit on 2-7-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

I mean, faced with prison, what other choice am I going to have?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

- Join the army if you are still young enough.
- If you don't have kids & wife, sell all you still have and go to the forest and live of what Mother Nature provides.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by benrl

Holy crap. I'm terrified that I'm going to be chucked into prison. Now, please, if you know something in that bill that I'm missing, TELL ME.

Please. I'm TERRIFIED that I'm going to be PUT IN PRISON FOR BEING POOR.

Jesus Christ.

Or, another option. Band together with the millions of people who find this new law unconstitutional and fight it every way you can. Write your representatives, let them know how you feel. If they are Democrats, tell them you will do everything in your power to make sure they don't get re-elected if they support this new unconstitutional law.

Join in the demonstrations that form to protest it. Write your local newspaper expressing what you wrote here.

Refuse to pay the fine...the Supreme Court Justices worded it in a way that you CAN'T be arrested, nor lose your home for not paying it.

There is much more you can do, than you give yourself credit for. You have the personal power to say no...just do it!

Des

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Holy crap. I'm terrified that I'm going to be chucked into prison.

Turn off the tv, stop listening to the MSM.

and you will find, that fear, will go away.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. I don't think the law goes into effect until 2014, another 15 months should give you some time to either find another job, get promoted or get a roommate to share expenses. There are alot of people who are poor but make too much money to qualify for assistance.

Honestly, I don't see Obama winning the re-election. Not happy about Romney, either, as I suspect he'll uphold Obamacare.

I am self-employed and my insurance is very expensive so I understand how you feel. It is a struggle to make all my payments so I am considering going back to my old line of work. It stinks but some choices are that way.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I'm coming at this from a standpoint of great terror. The Medicaid expansion under Obama's healthcare plan only applies to 133% of poverty level. So that means that that, even though I'm already going to be struggling making 15 or 16k a year, I still have to somehow purchase insurance. Well, the thing of it is, I can't afford it. I mean, I just can't do it.

I have student loans to pay, rent food and utilities are sky high, and, I mean, I can't afford 2 and 300 dollars a month for insurance. My fear is that I'm going to be too poor to pay the fine as well and am going to wind up in jail.

I mean, we don't all have schedules flexible enough to allow for 2 or 3 jobs, especially when you're working a variable schedule like I'm winding up with.

The only option that I really see is to somehow get lucky enough to get a better job or illegally immigrate somewhere else. I don't know how others look at it, but I suspect I'm not the only one.

I know this sounds like whining, but I am genuinely terrified.

you have college loans and rent to pay and you only make 16000 a year?

you were doomed anyway. you have no ability to do anything right.

i know GED recipients that are able to do more with less.

some times the herd has to be thinned out for the good humanity.

don't emigrate illegally to another country...no one deserves such a drain on their economy.

perhaps a little time in jail will allow you the time you need to figure out a plan.

you can read books and take some time out of this world that is quite obviously too much for you to handle.

and you should consider spending less time playing around on the internet, especially in conspiracy forums, unless you can get some financial support for your shilling.

edit on 2-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh, and I'm writing in Ron Paul for my vote.

link   

reply to post by benrl

If that happens :

DO NOT pick up the soap in the showers. But if have no choice :

regretfulmorning.com...

link   
I hear ya. The government has lowered the poverty level so that a person living alone must make below $11,170 per year in order to be considered as living in poverty. When you factor in taxes, that is way less than $1000 per month. Who in the hell can live on that and actually live in a place that isn't a crime-ridden slum? Who can actually have a vehicle?

For a couple, the poverty limit is $15,130. Just a tad over $1000 per month for TWO people!

aspe.hhs.gov...

According to www.dailyfinance.com...

One aspect of PPACA is that people who make up to 133% of the poverty line -- for a household of two adults and one child, this would be $23,344 -- would be eligible for Medicaid at no cost. Meanwhile, families that make up to 400% of the poverty line -- for a household of two adults and one child, this would be $70,208 -- would be eligible for some form of discounted insurance rate, scaled to their income.

I have been searching like crazy, but nowhere can I find how deep the discounts for insurance would be.

There are two problems with this: First, Medicaid sucks. It pays pennies on the dollar, and many doctors refuse to take it. Many private hospitals won't take it either, forcing the patients to use overcrowded, overworked doctors, and public hospitals where the wait (and the hygiene) is dreadful.

Secondly, last time my husband and I checked to get insured, they wanted to charge us close to $2000 per month for both of us. Even at a 50% discount, that's still $1000 per month, and we cannot afford it. Even at $500 per month (a 75% discount), that will really pinch us. Therefore, for the next several years, the tax is cheaper.

HOWEVER: Supposedly, the IRS cannot seize your assets (including going into your bank account), or punish you in their usual Gestapo way if you don't pay the penalty. Which begs the question: What are they going to do to me if I choose not to pay the tax? Makes you wonder why the government has funneled $303 million dollars and requested 4,000 new tax agents to hunt down "cheats" if this law supposedly has no punishment.

washingtonexaminer.com...

Too many unanswered questions, too much hype and hot air. As far as I'm concerned, everything the government touches turns to crap. This will be no different, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that the IRS will start taking people's property, attaching their wages, and punishing people severely for not paying this tax. We shall see.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Yeah. I've got an IT degree and can't find a better job. Perhaps you're right.

Or perhaps going to prison will make it impossible for someone who would actually be able to contribute to society quite a bit once they, you know, weren't so young and were through paying their dues to do so.

Perhaps going to prison will give me some time to reflect...or perhaps it will do nothing but make someone who is promising, but still just young and inexperienced, turn to a life of crime.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

IT...lots of those out there...from my experience foreign degrees aren't worth much in other countries.

do you know how many African, Middle Eastern and Eastern European master degree recipients i've felt bad for and gave an extra dollar as a tip on my cab ride? more than a few dozen.

i'd risk jail...i figure it like this...the jails are already overcrowded and with all the crackheads, serial killers and armed robbers in those places, the sheriff isn't going to waste a bunk on some guy that can't afford health insurance.

i'd go ahead and call their bluff.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

i notice you don't list dependents [wife kids parents]

learn how to become invisible

works for me
you can be sure i won't be getting any fines
or paying for mr. hopey-changeys vote buying scam

you call yourself a redneck?
what happened to the rugged self sufficiency DIY attitude rednecks are famed for?

IMO it all went downhill for you when you signed on the dotted line [loan]
may as well have tied a millstone to your neck and tossed it into the river

please please tell me you didn't study graphic design or something

EDIT
IT
get into penetration testing and such
a little creativity and....

edit on 2-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Isn't being poor already a crime in the USA. Look at the stats on the prison population and tell me it's not. Being poor being as prison sentence it's already a DEATH sentence for many people. Maybe it would be better if the poor just crawled off and died quietly somewhere ey? or maybe if they were rounded up and humanely put down. Don't know why I care or even bother. Letting someone who is sick suffer and or die is cruel and inhumane. You can be arrested for not getting your DOG proper medical treatment. Oh I forgot it is all about money not people.

new topics

top topics

join