It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I believe the US doesn't have free health care and free higher education...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I was watching the documentary "Sound of a Revolution" last night on Current TV and one of the musicians was talking about how so many poor kids join up for the military in order to get access to health care and money for college. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

Why hadn't I realized that before? The reason why the people running this country are so vehemently opposed to things like universal health care and free higher education (like so many other industrialized nations have) is because they are trying to feed the war machine. So many young adults join the military because they are offered these things as perks. If you take away those benefits and make them accessible to the general public, then military recruitment will more than likely drop significantly.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Its as old as time.

Surfs and Lords.

its nothing new, just different names.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The reason why the US doesn't have those things are simple. Money and lots of it. Just look at how much the prices of those things has skyrocketed in the last decade.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Pretty telling huh, when kids futures look so bleak they will risk thier lives to go to college and have health care....and if they live through the horror of these ruthless, unethical wars for greed and power...many of them still get "screwed" when they get home.....no words can express how sad this makes me.....

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

It could be because there are about 7,023,733,227 people in the world and about 313,863,336 of them live in the US. We compose almost 5%. You also don;t get good health care iof you don't pay for it. It may be good by some standard but not like it is here.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

so funny that its tax payers that pay for the soldiers healthcare and higher education,,,

but god forbid the tax payers pay for tax payers healthdcare and education,,

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Actually, Zone, almost every industrialized nations health care system outranks ours according to the World Health Organization. Most other industrialized nations have a lower infant mortality rate and a higher quality of living, health-wise.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Something else to consider:

At the base of any healthy person is a healthy diet and a healthy approach to life. Neither of which is currently profitable to Big-Agra or Big-Pharma.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

With regards to the tax payer paying for military member's education, the truth is few actually end up using these benefits. On top of that, every service member pays a 'deductible' their first year in. It is mostly from that pool, the education benefits of others are paid.

With regards to health care, the tax payer does pay for it. However the amount that costs would never be enough to provide much in the civilian world. A MTF simply does not handle the same volume. The patient demographics are highly skewed to younger, healthier people. The driving force is to get you out from under care ASAP, not keep you coming back to suck more from you and your insurance provider. I am not sure if most civilians would like, much less pay for, the treatment environment.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

so funny that its tax payers that pay for the soldiers healthcare and higher education,,,

but god forbid the tax payers pay for tax payers healthdcare and education,,

I forget the exact quote from the Documentary Waiting for Superman, but it's close to this:

We will spend over the course of a convicts life in prison, the equivalent of sending a kid to one of the best private schools in America from Kindergarten through High School and still have $24,000 left over for college.

Found the video:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
no such thing as free anything from the gov't

you just mean "paid for by taxes"

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I would agree that is part of it, but really it's all about money.

Capitalism has no morals, it doesn't care about people, it only cares about profit. Because capitalist industry is required to make profit.

To me that is a conflict of interest when it comes to healthcare. Healthcare should not be about making money, it should be about caring for people.

People not profit.

If you think you’re covered by health insurance, think again. According to a 2007 study in the American Journal of Medicine, illness and medical bills caused 62% of all bankruptcies and most of those people were insured and middle class. Meanwhile, “the five largest health-insurance companies racked up combined profits of $12.2 billion, up 56 percent over 2008”, according to a report by Health Care for American Now based on SEC filings.

Healthcare for People, Not Profit

I went to the emergency room a couple months ago because I thought I'd broken my toe, the doctor looked and prodded and said you might have broken your toe, follow up with your primary care asap. I was in the docs office for five minutes, the bill was almost $1200. I have medicare, but they're saying I will have to pay $160 of that. I live on $950 a month so $160 is a lot of money for me. Turns out I didn't break my toe, it was degenerative joint disease. I feel stupid for going to ER now, $1200 for nothing.

Yeah, great medical system you have. Great for generating lots of cash for nothing.

edit on 7/2/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
no such thing as free anything from the gov't

you just mean "paid for by taxes"

But the tax would be lower than the insurance you pay, and you wouldn't get hit with co-pays you didn't expect.

Everyone is out of work at some point in their lives, what do you do if you get sick?

What difference does it make if it's called a "tax"?

I posted this in my reply above but I'll post it again to be sure you read it...

If you think you’re covered by health insurance, think again. According to a 2007 study in the American Journal of Medicine, illness and medical bills caused 62% of all bankruptcies and most of those people were insured and middle class. Meanwhile, “the five largest health-insurance companies racked up combined profits of $12.2 billion, up 56 percent over 2008”, according to a report by Health Care for American Now based on SEC filings.

www.shareable.net...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Its as old as time.

Surfs and Lords.

its nothing new, just different names.

The Lord only showed up for taxes and conscription though. Isn't it funny how one could argue, quite well too, that we had more freedom then?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Right there is the reason for the war on education in the us.

If we had learned the lessons of Rome, we would not be watching our republic crumble under its own weight.

We might have done something about all this, if the populace had been taught how to use critical thinking .

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
How about the simple fact that it's unconstitutional.

Nothing in Article 1 Section 8 authorizes the feds to be involved in either one of those, and only through the twisting of words and redefining the intent of the founding fathers by ignorant jackasses in Congress has led to the current intrusion by the feds.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The people will, eventually figure out they are too dumb to figure things out and then they'll be angry. A dumb angry mob is a powerful thing and we'll have enough academics and sane people to rebuild it.

The younger generation, although not taught properly in school, are learning enormously from the internet. A whole generation is coming up that have been born into an age where information is available constantly, at an ever increasing pace.

That counts for something, and eventually everything.

~Tenth
edit on 7/2/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
You want it? Elect someone who wants to do it.

In Scotland, love them or hate them, one thing the SNP (Scottish Nationalist Party) do right is invest in important things.

We have free healthcare and it's free to go to university or college as well. We also have free prescriptions for when you do get ill.

Why?

Because a lot of our GDP goes to things we want, If we become independant and get rid of Trident - our nukes - then that money can be reinvested for an even better country.

You are a voter, it's in your hands.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Please explain to me. You talk about how many poor kids join up just to get health care and education. Look at some numbers. The kids from the bottom 30% of the income scale only accounted for 27% of the recruits. It's the middle class that's signing up. nationalpriorities.org...

Further, would you explain why we are opposed to universal health care in order to drive people into the military, at the same time Obama is reducing military budgets and strength levels? Do we have two groups of people running this country, each with opposite goals?

Of course, if you remove perks there will be less interest. That's true of anything in the world. If you add perks there will be more interest. True, but I don't know how that helps the analysis.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

A dumb angry mob is a powerful thing and we'll have enough academics and sane people to rebuild it.

Its always been my hope that we avoid the french revolution... Again, it leaves me depressed at the situation from all sides.

Why let the progression to angry mob occur, if you are killing education for any reason other than stupidity and greed. Than why? is the end goal that type of event, a repeat of that history?

Im left with everything is either, Mans own greed and stupidity, or the manipulators are playing chess at a level Ill never grasp.

Its like riding a crazy horse to a burning stable living in the times we do.

But I suppose history has shown that is always the case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join