It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science, UFOs and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Heres a pretty interesting article from the huffington post were a senior astronomer at the SETI
Institute, recently wrote in a The Huffington
Post blog that UFOs are "a phenomenon
worthy of attention.

Here is a link to the full article.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, recently wrote in a The Huffington Post blog that UFOs are "a phenomenon worthy of attention," and I agree. SETI is in the business of searching for signals from intelligent extraterrestrial civilizations, and although Shostak's story continued to highlight some of the wild email correspondence he receives from people convinced that ET is already visiting us, SETI was once viewed as fringe itself. However, devoted scientists worked hard to make their case and in the process have gathered other scientists from multiple disciplines to join in the discussion and research topics related to SETI. Now their work is accepted by the mainstream, so much so that it seems hardly a week goes by without some major media outlet writing about what SETI is up to lately.

I personally would love more attention to be given to the subject by the scientific community. Heres hoping!

-Anathema

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Because a Scientist already interested in searching for ET, thinks we should look into UFO's as well?

Im shocked I would never of guessed people tried to go into fields that interest them and than would use that field to pursue said interest in the first place.

I personally would love more attention to be given to the subject by the scientific community. Heres hoping!

and all those Research making millions off the alien books they write and shows they produce would just love a scientific approach I am sure.

edit on 2-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Indoctrinate people that there is no God Almighty.
Then indoctrinate the same people that science is god.

And you get this - the desperate search for life and our origins elsewhere instead of just getting down on bended knees, with a humble heart, and asking your Creator for the truth.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Indoctrinate people that there is no God Almighty.
Then indoctrinate the same people that science is god.

And you get this - the desperate search for life and our origins elsewhere instead of just getting down on bended knees, with a humble heart, and asking your Creator for the truth.

How very true... Amazing what can be done to the minds of the masses in the name of god almighty or against his existence.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm quite surprised to hear that from Seth Shostak to be honest , pleasantly surprised that is .
Shostak always struck me as an uber skeptic in relation to UFO's .

Members of the mainstream media who have taken a serious look at these topics and retired military officers that can speak to how governments have or have not reacted to these topics will also be on hand. This includes retired Major General Wilfried De Brouwer, who, while in the Belgian Air Force, was in charge of the investigation of multiple sightings of strange triangular craft throughout the 1990s.

It sounds a bit like disclosure project mark 2 , I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the original , looking forward to seeing what they have to offer if they do film it and upload it for free .
I might have to reevaluate my opinion of Mr Shostak

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
I'm quite surprised to hear that from Seth Shostak to be honest , pleasantly surprised that is .
Shostak always struck me as an uber skeptic in relation to UFO's

Did you read Shostak's article? The one which is referenced in the article of the OP?

Imagine if Bigfoot enthusiasts blamed their failure to convince zoologists of the existence of these elusive beasts on (1) the state of Washington, which was deliberately covering up the really good evidence, and (2) forest rangers, who were derelict in their duty because they don't relentlessly investigate these hirsute hominids. Would such arguments convince you that Bigfoot was afoot?

The fact is, if you're certain that our planet is hosting alien visitors, the way to gain acceptance for your point of view is to prove it, not insist that the problem lies with third parties. The blame game is a cop-out.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 7/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

phage already posted

edit on 2-7-2012 by yeti101 because: phage beat me

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

...the way to gain acceptance for your point of view is to prove it, not insist that the problem lies with third parties. The blame game is a cop-out.

This is an invalid misdirecting statement. Scientists do rarely operate on their own initiative, as any other function it requires support not only for the investigation but to the reception of the conclusions. We could probably finger count any maverick that has done any real science in a vacuum of support.

On this subject, the problem is not even the lack of support but the active suppression and misdirection that some institutions including the government engages in. In what is clearly is a crime of suppression of knowledge and information against all mankind. The same people that we expect and elect to improve the human condition is more often than not those that work to degrade, it towards their own selfish goals.

I would agree that it is not the top priority (regarding the UFO phenomena) but there may a large number of people that should be even criminally accountable. So I disagree, not a cop-out, but a realization that those with functions should have acted more proactive toward a proper resolution of numerous raised questions. By their actions or lack of them, going further than a simple unexplainable lack of interest, those with responsibilities and capabilities are if not simply incompetent but at least derelict on their duties and functions.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Just to clarify; that wasn't my statement, it was Shostak's. If you read the post I was replying to you may understand the context in which I quoted it.

But, in my opinion, the "dog ate my homework" excuse is a cop out. If those "criminals" are capable of concealing all of the evidence of UFOs being extraterrestrial in origin, the whole effort to provide evidence is entirely meaningless. Waiting for "disclosure" is nothing more than hand sitting.
edit on 7/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I understood that but since you initially quoted it without commenting on that, I took it as you at least not objecting to it. (It seems I was correct on my assumption)

The "dog ate my homework" does not really apply here.

There is the problem of the hypothetical dog, in the case of UFOs we have institutions that have a vocational interest to pursue the issue (from private to public funding from simple Universities to state organs for the protection of people, health and national security).

Then there is the problem of the homework, most people are not scientists or have no power (force and means) to pursue the issue that is at least expected to be complex (or it would have been solved ages ago), in this case there is not only the problem that there may not exist any "homework" but that there is no ownership of such body of work except if they are in fact secret governmental projects (or illegal operations).

Than we are left with the causal relation ("ate"). I have see very few cases that investigations or even testimonies link the "dog" (institution) to the "homework" (event) in a causal way (it would immediately negate the claim of being a UFO).

The "criminals" are not only capable of concealing, but actively prevent even discredit anyone that attempts to make it a proper field of study. This when they actively create misinformation and a general state of psychosis regarding the issue. I could cite cases but you should know by now well known cases of public figures being pressed on this issue.

One that still resonates with me was the statement of, Defense Minister of Canada (at the time of the event) stating that US forces crossed the boarder and secured a location for the recovering of an "unknown unidentified downed craft" and he (and Canada) was kept out of the loop. To me that is extremely far out there.

edit on 2-7-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

It sounds a bit like disclosure project mark 2 , I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the original , looking forward to seeing what they have to offer if they do film it and upload it for free .

Here's a thread discussing that upcoming conference in Las Vegas. Does sound like it would be an interesting one to get to see. I hope it shows up online.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
we have science for the masses and secret science

we only work with half of science with NO Spirit knowledge:
you know all things have an opposite right,

then why dont we here about bellow from science:
there is an opposite to black holes, repels
there is an opposite to suns: black suns that shine darkness!
there are opposites to explosions, with many repercussions for most science especially energy production

cold fusion is real google: Rossi cold fusion

most people think we are (the only humans) in the universe
As unimaginably immense and old the universe is We are told microscopic life might (might) exist on other planets eh eh

Do you really think all the races/cultures evolved from Africa? especially in such a short time?
All the cultures folk lore tells you where they come from but SCIENCE is blind to what they are told

You know how humans like a status-quo

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I find this Shostak guy to be very credible. Ive been reading alot of his viewpoints and am intrigued to say the least. Could you link me to any interesting or relevant artucles where he is interviewed or authored? Thanks Phage.

-Anathema

top topics

join