It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GlaxoSmithKline to pay $3bn in US drug fraud scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

GlaxoSmithKline to pay $3bn in US drug fraud scandal

www.bbc.co.uk

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to pay $3bn (£1.9bn) in the largest healthcare fraud settlement in US history.

The drug giant is to plead guilty to promoting two drugs for unapproved uses and failing to report safety data about a diabetes drug to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The settlement will cover criminal fines as well as civil settlements with the federal and state governments.

The case concerns the drugs Paxil, Wellbutrin and Avandia.

Deputy US Attorney General James Cole told a news conference in Washington DC that the settlement was "unprecedented in both size and sco
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well, I won't hold my breath for my cheque! I have been on this stupid drug for 20 years. I submitted my name to a class action lawsuit against them, doubt I will ever hear from them.

I was not put on this for depression. I tried to go off of it, 12 weeks of h*ll! I was able to be off for 3 months, then it was either go back on it or drive my car over a bridge.

I can tell you what the long term affects are, they aren't good.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Are you aware of the link between lack of omega 3 fatty acids and depression
and the clinical studies demonstrating that high strength fish oil actually
benefits a high percentage of people with depression?
Google "omega 3 depression randomised double blind"
Limbo

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It sounds like Mr.Witty was aware of what happend. He should be charged for the conspiracy of such crimes.

"We have learnt from the mistakes that were made," Mr Witty said. "When necessary, we have removed employees who have engaged in misconduct."

edit on 2-7-2012 by DisUglyBoyHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Limbo

I was never put on this drug for depression...I was put on it for anxiety attacks...then I got an oops, it's increasing anxiety, better put you on clonazapram (rivotril) to get rid of that nasty anxiety! Oh, but we don't advise you to go off of paxil now.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Jerisa because: more info

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It will be business as usual. They will not skip a beat.
They plan for these and these "settlements" are built into their operating expenses. They expect these sorts of things to happen and make the necessary adjustments so as to keep on keeping on. Isn't insurance a wonderful thing.

This will not phase them in the least.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Limbo

If you like your fish oils to be full of toxins then go for it. Abetter option is hempseed oil.

Kinda confused I thought Wellbutrin was an antidepressant and smoking cessation aid not for diabetes aah nvm read the entire article it seems they were promoting drugs for other uses than for its intended use
edit on 2-7-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If people plead guilty to a criminal act, they generally are arrested and spend time in jail. If a corporation is a person, shouldn't the corporation be forced to suspend operations for a given time and put the employees on paid leave for the duration?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

I was never put on this drug for depression...I was put on it for anxiety attacks...

The chemicals used to treat depression and anxiety are closely related because being happy is closely related to the brain processes which generate self-esteem and confidence. It is very bad to constantly use drugs which artificially induce those happy confidant states of mind. You shouldn't try to forcefully create the neurological state you want by constantly using drugs, you need to work through it naturally and chip away at your anxiety issues by hard work and concentration. Too many people think they can easily make all their trouble go away by simply popping a few pills and thinking that will make everything better and there wont be any serious consequences... well there will be serious consequences associated with long term use of almost any drug that affects emotional states.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

$3 billion dollars is just pocket change for them.

They made billions just off of the one diabetes drug, Avandaryl. Thank goodness they finally pulled that off the market. Even though the FDA knew they had altered the trial results and GSK were basically stone walling the FDA, they still were able to sell the drug for years.

My husband was on that drug and had all kinds of problems since, so I am extremely pissed off and sensitive when it comes to people's lives being ruined just because the pharma companies failure to do PROPER trial tests, like in the old days. Now it's all about the money$$$$ and to hell with the people.

Now they put him on the other controversial diabetes drug... Actos.

What happened to the drugs that's been around for years that has been proven safe????
edit on 2-7-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

According to a news release from Attorney General Pam Bondi's office, GlaxoSmithKline is accused of unlawfully marketing drugs for uses that were not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, misleading the public about the safety and effectiveness of certain drugs, offering kickbacks to medical professionals, and stiffing government programs, including Medicaid, on rebates owed.

miamiherald.typepad.com...

Like I said, sore subject for me as well as you.

Wish they would check and monitor the other drug companies and stop this crazy B.S.!!!!

I can't believe how many young kids are on prescription drugs. No way in hell would I even consider that for my kid. What is it doing to them , if as adults, we have severe side affects? Insane.....

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I think for you to understand my situation a bit more, I will give you a very brief background. When I was pregnant for my first child, I started having "flashbacks". I guess this is a common thing to happen. These caused me anxiety attacks, after the birth, my flashbacks were so severe I was taking "psuedo-seizures". I enrolled myself in therapy, while in therapy, they gave me paxil to help eleviate this symptom while I worked through the process. Then they added rivotril.

I successfully completed my therapy and was able to put that behind me BUT now I was stuck on the medications because it was too dangerous to go off of them because of the side effects!

I had my second child while taking these meds and I was told it was OK.

So yes, I did my hard work and I worked through my issues but yet I am punished by pharma for having them in the first place!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
reply to post by Limbo

If you like your fish oils to be full of toxins then go for it. Abetter option is hempseed oil.

Kinda confused I thought Wellbutrin was an antidepressant and smoking cessation aid not for diabetes aah nvm read the entire article it seems they were promoting drugs for other uses than for its intended use
edit on 2-7-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

wellbutrin was never approved as a smoking cessation although it was prescribed to myself as such in the 90s. all i can say is it gave me severe depression to the point that i couldn't even muster up enough will to get up from my kitchen table for many hours. needless to say i quit taking it after a couple weeks of ever increasing difficulty functioning as anything more then a fungus.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Actos has been prescribed medication for type 2 diabetes that has a long-list of side effects.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
There's a sign in my doctor's office that says reps can schedule a lunch with the doctors. Wonder who pays when they go out to lunch together? It's probably a matter of whether the doctor lets them, or not.

To think my doctors are being pushed to push pills on me, is disgusting. That is why I am so reluctant to take medical advice from these people. You never know whose side they are really on. You gotta take care of yourself, because they sure are only there to offer drugs. Drug dealers, indeed! First line of defense!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Sooooo.... pharmaceutical companies can murder or permanently change the lives of citizens and they get a slap on the wrist and a fine.

Where is the arraignment and high profile court case where the public declares them guilty before they are even charged (a la Colorado shooting)? How is their behavior any less abhorrent? Why aren't people in jail for this?

new topics

top topics

join