It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran drafts bill to block Hormuz

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

prorevnews.blogspot.com...

they dont own all of the straights as they do have neighbors in the region that share the waters so i dont think they can unilaterally shut down access

Rense - Iran borders the north side of the Strait. The United Arab Emirates and Oman border the south side. The Strait is so narrow however that the adjacent coastal states are subject to special constraints of the Law of the Sea. In principle, under the United Nations Convention of 1982, all coastal states are entitled to claim coastal waters out to a 12 nautical mile limit, but the Strait is only 21 nautical miles wide at its choke point. The maximum either side could assert a right to is 10.5 nautical miles. To observe the rights of coastal states while also serving the needs of maritime navigation, special rules have been established for the Strait: A six mile navigation channel has been defined consisting of a 2 mile wide inbound lane, a 2 mile wide separation lane, and a 2 mile wide outbound lane. Nominally, the inbound lane impinges on Iranian territorial waters, while the outbound lane impinges on UAE and Omani waters. The Law of the Sea permits innocent passage in both directions to all maritime users.

so i guess it would slow traffic down somewhat but it seems that the lane on oman's side could be used as a way to go back and forth but in one way lane for a ways if necessary

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Indeed, i doth concur, they can take territorial actions, same as any country would, the trouble remains though, the US want this to happen, it's more justification for an attack,

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Indeed, i doth concur, they can take territorial actions, same as any country would, the trouble remains though, the US want this to happen, it's more justification for an attack,

You are correct .. but it makes the US an aggressor not a savior in a court of law..... The US/Israel/Saud alliance has been desperately trying to instigate
an attack from Iran but they have failed.....

<< 1   >>

join