It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gateway of the Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My cousin just sent this over to me.
And I didn't see this posted in a search.

This is an interesting story. Probably BS but a good read nonetheless.

What do other members think about this? Could this be a possibility?
Would you be able to communicate with the dead if something like this happened to you?

In 1983, a team of deeply pious scientists conducted a radical experiment in an undisclosed facility. The scientists had theorized that a human without access to any senses or ways to perceive stimuli would be able to perceive the presence of God. They believed that the five senses clouded our awareness of eternity, and without them, a human could actually establish contact with God by thought. An elderly man who claimed to have “nothing to left to live for” was the only test subject to volunteer. To purge him of all his senses, the scientists performed a complex operation in which every sensory nerve connection to the brain was surgically severed. Although the test subject retained full muscular function, he could not see, hear, taste, smell, or feel. With no possible way to communicate with or even sense the outside world, he was alone with his thoughts.

Scientists monitored him as he spoke aloud about his state of mind in jumbled, slurred sentences that he couldn’t even hear. After four days, the man claimed to be hearing hushed, unintelligible voices in his head. Assuming it was an onset of psychosis, the scientists paid little attention to the man’s concerns.

Two days later, the man cried that he could hear his dead wife speaking with him, and even more, he could communicate back. The scientists were intrigued, but were not convinced until the subject started naming dead relatives of the scientists. He repeated personal information to the scientists that only their dead spouses and parents would have known. At this point, a sizable portion of scientists left the study.

Source

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Wow. I want to know and hear more. How long ago did this happen? Is there any follow ups?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

So this is what it takes to undo the decades of programming that have stunted our psychic abilities?

Good news: we know how to talk to the dead and access the higher consciousness.

Bad news: you're irreversibly crippled in the most horrific fashion possible if you even attempt it.

Ah, the good ol' catch-22...how I love to hate you.

edit on 2-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I am dubious about the story for a simple reason. They have had sensory deprivation tanks dating back decades so why the radical surgery?

The end of the story is worthy of note...

Eventually, he turned his head and, despite his blindness, made focused eye contact with a scientist for the first time in the study. He whispered “I have spoken with God, and he has abandoned us” and his vital signs stopped. There was no apparent cause of death.

Apparently the man saw he was judged because God made a promise to all and the only thing that happened here was God abandoned "him" (but he knew others were abandoned as well). He had no reason to live which is why he was in the test as a subject and if he had Faith in God to begin with, his life would have been more fulfilling and even inspiring.

It was also an interesting article, S&F for that because it raised a question I have wondered about for a long time. When we lose one sense our other senses become heightened to accommodate for our lack. If we lose sight our hearing becomes acute, but what if we lost our ability to smell, does our taste become enhanced? Or if we lost our taste does our nose become enhanced? (I meant that as functionally and not with Pinocchio in mind)

What sense needs to be diminished in order to enhance telepathy? Speech? If that were the case then nobody will ever develop telepathy since we all talk.

What happens when the sense of feel is lost? Aside from breaking bones because you don't know your limit that is...

/.02

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
In 1983, a team of deeply pious scientists conducted a radical experiment in an undisclosed facility. The scientists had theorized that a human without access to any senses or ways to perceive stimuli would be able to perceive the presence of God. They believed that the five senses clouded our awareness of eternity, and without them, a human could actually establish contact with God by thought. An elderly man who claimed to have “nothing to left to live for” was the only test subject to volunteer.
Source

Something tells me they weren't really scientists. Another little known theory, which had something to do with evolution and Darwin, says we have five senses for a reason. If humans only had an 'awareness of eternity', our species would have more chance shoving hot butter up its ass than catching meat (crabs, for example) or avoiding nasty predators.
edit on 2-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by XeroOne because: I can

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

Probably because they needed government funding, and got told that they wouldn't get any money, but "make sure you don't get bring any lawsuits down on us while you're playing around."

So they did the best they could. And got scared off. I guess this is where they came up with the phrase "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to."

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

I don't know but here is some video..
fake if you ask me

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I do know that every experiment with the sensory deprivation tank resulted in fabricated landscapes created to retain the sanity of the human mind...a kind of self-defense of the unconcious. No reports of seeing heaven, hell, or godly beings...unless that's what kept you sane. In which case, you've got an awesome imagination.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by grey580

So this is what it takes to undo the decades of programming that have stunted our psychic abilities?

I don't think it takes quite that much. All you really need is the intent to reach your psychic abilities, the belief that it can be done, and a method of acheiving temporary altered states of transpersonal consciousness.

The method most people chose is meditation, but for our culture I would recommend entheogens such as ayahuasca. A pilgrimage to an ayahuasca workshop such as those in Peru would do nicely.

edit on 2-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Russian sleep deprivation short story.

Sounds cool, but probably BS.

People do see weird things though in deprivation chambers though.

doctors swear an oath to do no harm, These doctors (as doctors would of been required) would never do this.

Its BS, they would be considered as bad as Joseph Mengele for experimenting on a live human like this.
edit on 2-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is a fictional story from creepypasta.

www.creepypasta.com...

It's not even possibly a real story as firstly it is currently impossibly to surgically sever all sensory input without killing someone and secondly it would be a gross violation of medical ethics even if it were possible. Its a simulation of the type of madman medicine as torture thing which happened from the late1930s into the 1970s turned into a creepy internet chain letter.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Funshinez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

oh you........

big lol

thank you.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Apparently the Tibetan monks experimented with sensory deprivation in order to write the Bardo, the Bardo being a book which records what happens once you die and how to become part of God (if you believe in such a thing).

The monks would be cut off all there senses (via sensory deprivation tanks) for weeks or months if necessary, its unclear how they would return to a concrete experience of reality, but once they did it would take further weeks for them to 'acclimatize' to the bombardment our senses experience in the waking world, it was said while they were still in the 'in-between state' they could hear for miles, smell odours several towns over and so on.

Interesting stuff, so interesting in fact that the Chinese emperor was terrified of what information the Tibetan monks held.

top topics

join