It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics Technology and the Growing Cyber Threats That No One is Talking About

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Why is technology not a key component to many political campaigns?

Barack Obama and Sarah Palin were the first people in 2008 to use social media to obtain huge followings! But that's only scratching the surface. Rarely ever do we see, politicians embrace Google or Apple or some small startups! Do politicians even care about technology? Rarely ever do we see politicians actually do something about technology or security. We are falling behind many world nations in our electronic infrastructure and year after year we fall behind in our readiness to combat a cyber terrorism threat.

I believe that as we get farther into the 21st century technological issues will increase at the political level. I remember watching the cyber security debate this year from the republicans and not a single one of them understood its power. Jon Huntsman understood technology the most. None of them have real plans for technology so I'm not too worried about what they were talking about.

However, the democrats with Obama's crazy investment schemes on crappy solar panel companies that go bankrupt after a few years, show that they don't know anything about technology either. Obama at least tried to understand technology by having a dinner with technology corporate gods last year in silicon valley. However, during that same meeting Steve Jobs amazingly yelled at Obama stating, "your policies will destroy us all!" or something along those lines!

What do you think about Technology's future in politics? Should technology stay out of politics and vice-versa if even possible? Which it might not be as we become more infused to tech
edit on 2-7-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I believe Cyber Warfare is going to be a crucial aspect in WW3 turning. Lets just hope some pissed off or paid off script kiddy doesn't manage to hack some nukes. If even possible.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Unfortunately politicians should not be seen as dependable, they have proven themselves not to be. Of course this is a huge problem because they have a great responsibility and are held to a greater standard being that they supposedly represent the people, but do they really? And of course it is partly the people's fault too, as it seems that our standards have fallen, or maybe it's the apathy...
edit on 2-7-2012 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I honestly wonder how many people would commit suicide if today was the last day for Social Media outlets…

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

What you say is too far outside my boundaries, but I had a thought. What're the ratio's of land area to population for the US and these other countries you mention as nursing their technology? My thought was maybe the US has more land area and this has slowed the emergence of the necessary technological infrastructure. This goes for anything, not just fiber optic cables... roads, electricity...

I remember watching a video and I searched for it in my favorites but could not find it. It was about a man actively working in the military to broaden their vision of cyber security and computerization. It was very interesting and showed that at least some people understand how important technology is militarily. Sadly, I remember reading another article recently that many military/government computer systems/networks are old and need to be replaced and that for various reasons they're insecure and/or outdated and expensive to maintain both in hardware and software.

I think that even though politicians aren't very knowledgeable, many others are.
edit on 2-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My dear friend, my dear CAT, I love you and want you in my Lukoshko in Troparevo Intelligence Center!!!

KGB forever.

We are (certainly) - the best!!!

Long live the Intelligence!!!

new topics

top topics

join