Can dogs really see things that we cant?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by LifeInDeath

but their hearing is so extremely excellent they can hear slight sounds from great distances. A rabbit scampering through the brush 100 yards away could well set him off, and yet no human would ever know the thing was there.

No rabbits there. What did the dog hear that caused it to bare its teeth and then run away? What causes a dog to do this?

Could be anything. Where do you live?

Coyote? Mountain lion/cougar/panther (all names for the same animal)? A bigger, scarier dog? Something it couldn't identify so it got spooked? Hard to know what motivates a dog if you can't see what is motivating it, but there's a million possibilities.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

he probably means that the cat's pupils were dilated like hell.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by DaTroof

Squirrels, deer and/or birds.

Some dogs go nuts when they see them.

Do they generaly freeze stiff and run out when they see them?

Indeed. My parent's beagle (old hunting breed) will lick a plate clean and be dead to the world unless she hears something in the yard. As soon as she spots a squirrel or any other critter, her hair stands up and she barks aggressively, as if to alert the family. Same applies to people walking. Someone going for a walk all the way by the street will get barked at as well.

Some breeds are more protective/alert than others. The more protective ones generally are those with hunting backgrounds. (Hounds/pointers/terriers, etc)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Dogs have very good hearing and they can usually hear really faint barking or other animals. This happens often with my dog

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

skepticwatcher, baby.....yes black as in " on the side of the evil bazzards" that run things for now....you know....till Jesus takes His throne in a couple a years or so

which way were you thinkin! cool
edit on 3-7-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!
edit on 3-7-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahweh is our new king

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I believe dogs can sense things that we cannot. I remember catching my dogs staring intently at something a few times only to discover there was nothing there that I could see. While scientific explanations are sufficient, I believe there may be a paranormal aspect to this topic.

Some links for those interested:
- How Dogs Relate to Spirit Activity
- Dogs Are Spiritual Beings
- Dogs: Not Simply Pets, but Guardian Spirits

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I don't believe that they necessarily "See" things we don't. but more so that their instincts as well as sense is more acute than what we can percieve ourselves.

A year or so ago, I was woken up by my cat at my window hissing loudly and growling. I looked out the window, as well as went out to investigate, but there was nothing there. I told my grandma, and her having kind of a big mouth mentioned it to my uncle, and he stated his dogs were doing the same thing, at apparently the same time I was woken up.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Many years ago my dog (now passed away), would somethimes see something in the living room when I was watching TV. He didn't looked at a window just at a spot in the middle of the room! Like something was there which he could see. His hairs on his back where standing up! and he was making very angry sounds at something he could see. Was a bit scary somethimes..

Too bad dogs can't talk!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It'd be helpful to know what breed of dog it is. That would make a world of difference. Different breeds have different temperaments, and have personalities much like humans. Some dogs will bark at anything, and some dogs, I believe, and sensitive, not simply visually, but through auditory and olfactory processes as well. Did you know that dogs can smell 7 different emotions when they sniff you? They can sense fear, a pheromone your body produces, and react accordingly.

I have three dogs, each a different breed (Shepherd, Husky, and Retriever), and each has a different personality. My Husky, however, is my spirit finder. He's pure white, with blue eyes, and looks like:

He's also the father of my shepherd, so I have a father son combo. The shepherd is only a year old, so he's still in training.

My point being is that my husky can sense "paranormal" activities. He never barks at anyone or anything, he justs looks and observes. (Well, he does bark once to be let back inside. That is the only time he has ever barked.)

What he does is howl. Like a wolf. Yes, he howls when he needs to go out.

He howls when there is "something" in the room. Mind you, with three dogs in the house, "supernatural" entities stay away from my home, but he travels a lot with me, and acts more like a human than a dog. He loves to ride in any vehicle. I have taken him to people's houses, and usually he curls up and watches everything intently, but periodically he acts agitated. One time, for example, he went into a room at a friend's house, and started howling continuously and repeatedly. The people admitted to have experienced odd things happen in that room, pictures falling off the walls, and doors moving. I'll usually do a sage smudge when he acts like that. Another time, I was on a charity call to fix a washing machine for a friend, and "Storm" went along for the ride. I took him down into the basement with me, but he didn't want to stay. I knew he could sense something. I tied him up to floor support, and he started howling, refusing to lay down, so I untied him, and he simply paced back and forth, sniffing the air, until I was finished. He ran back up the stairs when I was done, wanting nothing to do with that place, but he wouldn't leave until I did.

So yeah, tell me the breed and I'll be able to explain a bit more. Dogs do have unique abilities.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is very interesting. My dog would freak out when i tried to take him to the basement, until one day my old buddy came over(he is very religious) he went down in the basement with a rosary said some prayers and asked whatever was down there to please leave. After that my dog would run down to the basement all the time i couldn't keep him outta there. My dog also would sense things from certain people and wouldn't let certain people get near me and he especially wouldn't let drunk people near me no matter who they were.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I believe animals and children can see things we either cannot, or are unwilling to see.

My husband is full Native American (his tribe originated in Mexico, so his culture is a mixture of Mexican/Native), and he remembers hearing that if you wipe a dog's eye boogers into your own eyes on Halloween, you will see the spirits/ghosts/demons that they do. He's never tried it, and I'm too scared/grossed out to try it, lol.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Humans have "perception filters" and other animals do not. A human can look dead at something and if his mind can't handle what he is seeing it will not be there. I call them SEP's. (Thanks to Douglas Adams for coining the term and definition) A SEP is something you see and your mind checks out and says "I can't see it, it's not there it has to be Someone Else's Problem" and then it's not there anymore. Dogs do not have that ability. They see it, can't comprehend it and begin to bark and freak out.

I lived in Lexington, NC for a year in a house that had a ghost. I saw the ghost nearly every day. It was a woman in a white nightgown who went from one bedroom to the other. Sometimes my gf's dog would see it and freak out. The door would just open randomly too. When ever the dog would freak out I would tell the gf that our ghost was visiting. She never believed me until one day I challenged the ghost and a stuffed toy on the shelf began playing it's musicbox. Which was broken. She burst into tears and knew I was not fibbing.

But yeah, dogs see stuff we can't because they have no mechanism to reason things away. Dogs do not reason. They are not capable of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

I'll agree with that too. I was at the shore with the my friend's dog yesterday. He stays with us while she's back home in the US for vacation every year. Well, this family of swans comes cruising up to us - parents and three cygets- and this dog barks at them. Now, this dog is a wimpy little thing. Either one of those adult swans could have torn him apart in seconds flat. I quietly but sternly told him to STFUYOUSTUPIDSOB. Another bark. Holy sheep dip. One of the adults' goes into alert mode, hissing and plumage ruffled. Yet. Another. Bark. My hand went around his muzzle and I didn't let go until they had gone. You can't imagine how badly I wanted to chuck this dog into the water with the angry swan. We're no more than 12ft/4m from the water's edge and he was sitting behind me.

Dogs.

But he does see all manner of energies and whatnot. On occasion, something visits his dish at mealtime and gives him a fright. He jumps back and watches it violate his dinner. lol Periodically he will jump up and start following something, but he's not the least bit interested in chasing birds or squirrels outside.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have two dogs. The bigger one a Bouvier Des Flandres, and a Basset Hound. The upstairs of our house has an open living room and kitchen, with a hall way leading to the back door/laundry area.

For the last 3 days my Bouvier has been going into the kitchen (I can watch her from the living room) and walking around the kitchen very softly. So softly you can't hear her paws or nails at all. She walks around slowly and softly all around the kitchen, but mostly around the table. (there is no food kept on the table), and to the back door and then back again to the kitchen table. She will do this for about 30 minutes. She stops walking every now and again and sniffs the air, then moves on to a different location, all the while walking softly, keeping the table as her base point for lack of better wording. If I didn't watch her I would never know she was in the kitchen moving around, she is that quiet. This is a dog that does not know the meaning of gently. The other dog takes no notice of her when she is doing this. The Bouvier is roughly 100lbs and 'tip toeing around the house is not her thing".

I ruled out mouse hunting, a mouse could walk under her nose and she would not care unless it was stealing her food. It's not coyote's or other dogs, and she is not searching for food. She only does this between mid morning and early afternoon and always in the same area. She makes no noise and does not seem to me to be agitated or scared. It's almost like she is following something around, something I can't see. She knows at times I watch her, and she continues on.

That said, in the last few days I have noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. Not dark beings, they are in fact light in colour, see through. The house gives off no feeling of being haunted, or evil. It gives no feeling at all, good bad or indifferent. It's almost as if the house is lacking in history, all the while being 100 years old. Very odd.

At other times during the day the Bouvier goes back to being her normal self. early morning nap, food, afternoon nap, evening nap,bed time. So on and so forth. The Basset being 2 years younger then the Bouvier acts like his normal pushy self.

That's my dog story for the week!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Hi! This is a pretty old thread and for some reason it caught my attention.

To add some more to this, if I may, personally, yes. Dogs are able to sense things which we cannot. It's creepy, exciting, scary. A common thing I've heard is that dogs can sense spirits. Few years ago I had my friends home for a sleepover and around 2 am we decided to make an ouija board, you know, for the thrill of it. Just as we were getting seriously into it, my dog, who was fast asleep next to me, woke up with a start, looked up as if someone was standing (we were all seated) and started barking. And he took quite sometime to calm down.

Needless to say his sudden barks frightened us more than the spirit we hoped to call that night.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

good grief! yes they can, the dog i have now can and my budgie can certainly hear them as he says something only my nan used to say and she's been dead for 20 something years! its not nice to see my dog scared and growl at something as he's such a sweet natured cavalier, not that long ago he was lying in his bed, he was growling and crawled out of his bed, you know when you see a cat preying on a bird? its low to the ground and its shoulders are sticking right out and crawls slowly to it? thats what my dog done, around a couple weeks later i was watching tv the dog was in the room too, he got up walked over to the door, sat down and started barking and wagging his tail, it was as though someone was playing with him, its was his 'playing' bark, we've had a couple of noises in the hallway, he's barked and shot off out there and ive grabbed my recorder and each time i have caught voices.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
voices?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yes they can, i lived in a house on a street called get this East Craven in Lacy Lake View in Waco Texas, i had a Boston terrier at the time,one night i went to bed my dog was with me,children in bed,husband watching tv in living room, i had a bookcase in front of my bed with a lighted clock on it.as i was lying there a shadow blocked out the light and came to my side of the bed and held out it's hand to me i didn't see anyone just felt a male presence i thought it was my husband i reached my hand out to take the hand then realized it wasn't my husband,my dog went ape crazy jumped on my chest and started grabbing at my night clothes and growling i knew she wanted me to get the h'll out of there so i did i jumped up and went into the living room my dog followed me i told my husband something was in that room my dog was barking and growling all the while towards that room,The next day my daughter told me she had a visit from her grandmother who had passed years ago,but it didn't look like her grandmother because her face was all messed up her grandmother wanted her to go with her,my daughter was very close to my mom,but she was scared of this woman.This house had something in it after we moved out it stay vacant for awhile it was rented out again for two weeks the people moved out , i also had a co worker who lived there at one time when i asked her if anything strange had happen to her she said her daughter was also visited by her grandmother but hers was still alive,she also wanted her grandchild to go with her.the list goes on but i firmly believe my dog sensed something evil in that house,The house is now demolished

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I do believe animals and dogs in particular, because that's what I have experience with, can see things we can't... There have been a few occasions my dog saw "something" and reacted to it. I know some dogs are nuts, but my Pit doesn't bark or growl at noises until after he checks it out and sees what made the noise, and even then he has never alerted on stupid stuff like other dogs barking, squirrels, sirens, trees, etc unless he's actually outside and sees the other animal. I spent a lot of time when he was younger trying to train him to growl instead of bark (because barking is friggin irritating) and only to do that when the situation calls for it. I talked about one time he freaked out in this other thread, third paragraph down:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Other times I would catch him staring at "nothing," the same way he looks when he's trying to judge whether he likes or dislikes a new person. Just a cold "whatcha gonna do, punk?" look on his face and won't break his gaze. I guess it works, I've been told he can be pretty intimidating but to me he will always be a big baby lapdog even though I was wrong about my weight estimate in that post (vet said he weighs 68! we often just call him "horse"). That happened somewhat frequently in the old house I mentioned in that link, sometimes in a window and sometimes not (he's never been all that interested in his own reflection) and I could probably count on just three fingers the number of times he's done that in other locations.

reply to post by matty1053

I gave you a star just because the Obama comment made me laugh... :p
edit on 25-9-2013 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Oh, yes... Indeed they can.

Cats, too.

When I was a child, about ten years old, or so... My parents raised rabbits, always had ten or twelve of the furry critters. It was my job to make sure they had food and water two or three times a day... Well one night I was headed out to the hutches to do just that before heading to bed...

I got about halfway when I heard a rattling sound, kinda like dried branches rubbing against each other... Problem? No trees in that particular area of the yard... Being the brave ten year old I was, I bolted for the house. My older sister, age 15, decided we'd better check it out...she's much braver than I, by the way. So, courageous children that we were, we armed ourselves with our two dogs, Princess, a big puff ball of a collie (Lassie she wasn't...), and our psychotic Springer spaniel Rex...Now Rex was a strange dude, totally devoted to his puppies (us kids), nothing and no one got near us without his approval...very protective.

So... The four of us head for the hutches. We hear the noise, only it's much louder, and to me, much scarier... Princess had decided long before she wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. She was on the porch growling, and she never, save this one incident, growled. Actually, it was that low fearful/fearsome snarl. We could hear it from yards away... Rex? Our ever faithful psychotic protector? The second he heard it, he was bolting for the house...tail, such as it was, tucked away. Sis and I exchanged one look and we were gone. Doors slamming, bolting, and headed for the phone. Cops called.

In due course, the cops arrive. They search the yard, find nothing. About this time, our parents and little brother get home from where ever it was they'd gone... Dad was not happy to find cops in the house and yard... Nor was he happy to see two terrified young kids... Then he sees the dogs. Unhappy becomes worried. I don't think he slept that night.

To this day, I have no idea what happened that night... The dogs knew something was wrong, and that it scared them.

It may be coincidence, but about four years or so later? Something got into the rabbits, killed 'em all, save one. No blood. No screams, and if you've ever heard a hurt rabbit, you know that the scream will raise the hairs on your neck if you don't know what they are...even when you do, it's scary. Given the carnage? There should have been an incredible amount of noise... Take that for what you will. Scared me then, scares me now.

'Til the day I moved out, I never felt comfortable in that area of the yard again.

Another encounter with the unknown was our big ol' Persian tomcat Thomas J. Alleycat. He usually stayed with me at night. He'd curl up and sleep by my head.

One night I woke to the most horrible yowling I've ever heard. He was sitting at the foot of my bed, looking out the window, and he was in full battle mode. Back arched. Fur puffed. His eyes absolutely feral. He was in full fight or flight mode. My room was in the basement, and the neighbors house was only about ten feet away from the side of the house.

I felt it too, whatever it was. A couple of years before, my dad had given me his old Smith and Wesson .38, and it lived, still does, in my nightstand. Fully loaded. I've never had to take it out but twice since I've had it, and that night was the first time. I picked up the cat, and my gun, and moved to the far wall, and cat and I sat and waited for the rest of the night... It never occurred to me to head upstairs, that meant going outside. That I wasn't going to do. Cat knew long before I did that something dangerous was outside. Don't know what, or who it was, and frankly, don't want to know. I know this as an article of faith...I wouldn't be here if I'd gone outside to get upstairs...

I talked to my parents the next morning about it, and my dad got that look I've only seen a few times in my life... He'd decided to become very dangerous. So, too, had my mom. My little brother got moved temporarily upstairs into the guest bedroom which was just down the hall from the 'rents room...about ten feet. Small house. ...and the floor creaked as they wandered the house watching and listening...for two or three weeks after.

For some odd reason, 'cause I'm no hero... I refused to move out of my room. Worst argument I've ever had with my parents... Whatever it was, and I've always called it "it", wasn't going to make me run.

Cat saved me. ...and 'til the day he died, he stayed all night in my room, never did his nightly romps again, that I'm aware of... He stayed with his people.

It's been almost thirty some years now, and that particular night still gives me chills. It never repeated, thank god.

So to answer your question? Yes. They can see and hear, even feel things we can't.

edit on 9/25/2013 by seagull because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join