It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can dogs really see things that we cant?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hello everyone on this part of ATS. Its my first post here in this section of ATS. So here goes...

A few years ago, I was staying at my friends place. He went to sleep early (at around 1 am). I was up watching a movie on his computer, with headphones on. I was all by myself.....the only other "thing" in the room was my friends dog, who just lay there beside me quietly.... in his "spot".

Then later, I heard the dog through my head phones. It was like....a single loud *bark*....and a few seconds later, a whimpering sound. I ignored it at first.... but this continued for what felt like 5 minutes.... each bark sounding more "angry" than the one before....and becoming more frequent.

I'm thinking "shut up, you stupid dog". I just ignored it.....trying to focus on the movie that was playing.. but over the next minute, I couldn't help but notice that each bark was sounding more vicious. After a point, the barking stopped...and all that remained was this disturbing low pitched growling sound... like the one that a rabid or a very angery dog would make. (And no, this dog was NOT rabid)

Then the growl became really annoying and I decided I had enough. I put my headphones down and turned aside to shoo it out of the room. And then I saw this- the dog was just sitting there.... frozen stiff.... making this constant deep growling sound.... with all its teeth bared.

EXCEPT.... the dog was not growling at me.... it was simply looking out of the the window right next to where I was sitting. I knew there was just an empty balcony outside the window. I still walked into the balcony to check the place out, expecting to see a burglar or at least a cat. I saw NOTHING. Beyond the balcony was an empty plot.... just barren land and trees.

After my brief "what the.... " moment, I walked back into the room, only to see the dog shaking and whimpering looking at me... before it bolted out through the door. I just sat there on a couch, feeling rather uneasy. I started to feel convinced that the dog saw something. But I didn't try and analyze what happened.... instead I just played some played some music and tried to get some sleep.

So then.... what was it? Why was the dog barking furiously.... baring its teeth and all...while looking into an empty window? What made it run out of the room scared after I checked the balcony.

Does this really qualify as an experience of the paranormal? Or do dogs randomly growl and bare their teeth in the middle of the night, for no reason? (I wouldn't know... I've never owned a dog in my life)
Note that this particular dog was took rather well to me....and never displayed any signs of aggression towards me.

I heard that dogs can see things that we cant....like say, spirits and demons. What do you think, ATS?

edit on 2-7-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Squirrels, deer and/or birds.

Some dogs go nuts when they see them.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My dog does this often and used to scare the wits out of me .... .. until I realised he was growling at his own reflection in the window, which can only be seen when it is dark outside

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I do not know what your dog was growling at but Animals can see things we cannot. Can we see thing animals cannot? Yes, some animals cannot see color, its all about your senses. Your eyes pick up light wave frequency their is a infinate band of light wave frequency but we can only see with in a certain spectrum of the light wave frequency. If you are still not getting it, dogs can hear much higher frequency's then humans can, as well as smell. Imagine seeing the world threw noise and smell.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Pets/Animals can buddy!

I remember my mother told me in 94' that she was sitting home alone with our fat @$$ cat named Doppler. (Cat was a good cat, he weighed like 9999999lbs.)

My sister was born in 1994, she was in a cradle, and alone in her room.... My mother had a monitor and a sound thing, lights light up on the monitor when sound is loud.

Then, The lights lit up like full blast, nothing was in there. MY MOM heard a noise, and TALKING from her Aunt Kay that passed about 5 days before my sister was born!!!

My cat.... Doppler, his eyes became so black like Obama, that he peaked the corner, and just RAN like 50 mph, into my moms lap....

My mom looked into the room, saw a actual figure. 9 minutes it lasted.

Then one time, My cat doppler (good kitty!), saw a ghost, and sensed a storm was coming 2 days later.
He never came out of the basement, until the storm was over 2 days later.

They can see crap you can't see.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm going to say

Yes

Just by the way my dog acts.

When I get home, minutes to when I get I get home, and when weather starts to becomes brute.

He knows.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Two or three years ago, I went to a barbecue party in a beautful house. I took my dog with me as I always do wherever I go. It's a nice middle sized dog that no dog hater can acually hate. Even dog scared people can't resist to stroke her eventually. But that night she (or it some will say) freaked out us all. During half of the night she couldn't stop staring at the ceiling obsessionally. She would't play, snuff the floor all over the place for fallen crackers, she wouldn't move an inch either and was shaking a little bit. All she wanted was to sit down in the corner of the kitchen and watch the ceiling.

Later in the night I learned two scary things.

1/ One of the house roomate is dead in a car accident a few weeks before that night.
2/ His room was exactly above the kitchen

What was it? An invisible entity? A potential lickable greasy stain? I asked my bitch but she wouldn't tell me

Peace
edit on 2-7-2012 by CityFarmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CityFarmer

Thats really freaky, Has she ever behaved in this way since, or was it a one of incident.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They see a lot of things that those who are not (yet) sensitive can.

Animals don't sit around and tell each other that what they sense is not actually so. Humans do that. So naturally animals are going with what they know to be true. Humans do not. Humans are "rational".

My daughter has always seen things that way too. I told her, human that I am (or was), that she was imagining things or whatever other lame and insensitive thing could be said to another. Well, by the time she was about 13 she was pretty confused and getting depressed. Funny thing is, I started to sense things around that same time. Some really bizarre things have happened over the years since (she's nearly 22 now) and I can tell you that yes, what a dog senses is really there. What a cat senses is really there. What a rabbit senses is really there. What a human infant/toddler/child senses is really there.

Something you might consider is: What are you missing? That's the real question. Why are you missing it? Open your mind, your heart, and all your awareness. Be open. Feel what's going on around you.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by matty1053
Doppler, his eyes became so black like Obama

Ummmm....what ?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

More likely he heard or smelled something outside that you couldn't see. Dogs have pretty bad eyesight compared to humans (though they have much better low-light vision), but their hearing is so extremely excellent they can hear slight sounds from great distances. A rabbit scampering through the brush 100 yards away could well set him off, and yet no human would ever know the thing was there.

My old dog occasionally would get very angry and barking like that if a person was walking around where they shouldn't at a time they shouldn't. Sometimes someone might have decided to cut through some backyards at night, totally innocent, but it's not where someone is normally supposed to be at a time like that. If it wasn't one of us or a neighbor she knew, she'd suddenly turn into a great guard dog and angrily bark (she had no guard dog training, btw, but the instinct is always there). She might have only heard this stranger, but if it was not the sounds of someone she knew, she's let us know there was possible danger afoot.
edit on 7/2/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
reply to post by CityFarmer

Thats really freaky, Has she ever behaved in this way since, or was it a one of incident.

I think I try to get a rational explanation everytime it occurs. Like when she is at the door already 1 min before a friend of mine pulls over my place or when she once warned us of a wild boar "aggression" during a hike way before these wild animals were to run towards us. Those events happen quite often (not the wild boar story tho
) but they're always explainable by dog's really sensitive ears and Pavlov's theory (saying theory 'cause it can't explain the wole behaviour of dogs. Not just Action - Reaction. Part of free will if you ask me)

But not this time. It was a house she never went to.People she wasn't especially in love with. There was no one upstairs. Plus the way she was focusing on that particular area of the ceiling told me that something was wrong. She didn't feel comfortable at all and she seemed to stay as far as possible from this "something" as she was standing in that corner.

Plus WTF, which dog spits on barbecue meat if this is not for a very particular reason?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CityFarmer
What was it? An invisible entity? A potential lickable greasy stain? I asked my bitch but she wouldn't tell me

Could also have been a family of mice living between the floor and ceiling. Sometimes a rabbit or squirrel would find their way into the crawlspace under our house and my old dog would stare at a spot on the floor, paw at it and bark. She might do that for an hour or more and we always knew it meant something was down there.
edit on 7/2/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Dog's see better in low light, and can detect small motion better than humans. They have a larger
range of view and a bigger pupil relative to eyeball size than do humans...

But I don't think dogs "see" things that humans can't...they certainly can sense things better than us,
that is why for thousands of years we have kept them as companions---for their 'first alert' response
while we are in repose...

I've seen dog's bark incessantly at a blank wall for no reason, and I must admit it's creepy...but the
eyeball, and vision, is pretty well understood...maybe they have some extra-sensory perception
we don't understand...but we can see far better and in a MUCH wider range of spectrums with
the aid of man-made devices than a dog or any eagle (or owl) ever hoped too...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

I've seen dog's bark incessantly at a blank wall for no reason, and I must admit it's creepy...

Exactly. Its creepy when they do that....and you cant see anything. Thats exactly what I felt.

but the eyeball, and vision, is pretty well understood...maybe they have some extra-sensory perception
we don't understand..

This I agree with. Perhaps animals perceive the world in a way that we dont really understand.

link   
reply to post by doobydoll

My dog does this often and used to scare the wits out of me .... .. until I realised he was growling at his own reflection in the window, which can only be seen when it is dark outside

Not in my case.... the window was open outwards plus it had a 'frosted" finish. No chance for a reflection.

link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Squirrels, deer and/or birds.

Some dogs go nuts when they see them.

Do they generaly freeze stiff and run out when they see them?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

but their hearing is so extremely excellent they can hear slight sounds from great distances. A rabbit scampering through the brush 100 yards away could well set him off, and yet no human would ever know the thing was there.

No rabbits there. What did the dog hear that caused it to bare its teeth and then run away? What causes a dog to do this?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
some plants, insects and mammals have active cryptochrome which allows them to detect magnetic fields in their vision, aiding them in navigation etc., so it wouldn't surprise me if dogs, cats were able to pick up on the same.
the interesting thing is, humans have the same, except ours is used to control our body clocks, rather than enhance our vision. when transplanted into the drosophila fly, however, it works as well as their own to allow them to see magnetic fields. in other words, we have 'dormant' magnetic field vision. nice.

human cryptochrome in drosophila flies

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by LifeInDeath

but their hearing is so extremely excellent they can hear slight sounds from great distances. A rabbit scampering through the brush 100 yards away could well set him off, and yet no human would ever know the thing was there.

No rabbits there. What did the dog hear that caused it to bare its teeth and then run away? What causes a dog to do this?

Dogs do know.

I will attest to that.

Teeth or no teeth.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join