It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That Old Phone Sitting In Your Drawer Is Actually Worth Serious Money!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If you are strapped for cash now is the time to recycle your old mobile phones!

Apparently the average resale value of old phones has risen some £40 in just over a year to £101. Smartphones have driven up second hand prices, meaning even two year old phones are still worth a decent chunk of change.

According to CompareMyMobile, a comparison site for phone recyclers, old Apple products are worth gold — the iPhone 4 is going for £200 right now, but even better yet, that ancient 16GB iPhone 3GS is worth well over £100 — useful to know considering the iPhone 5 is right around the corner. I don’t know about you, but I’ve probably got at least three old phones in drawers dotted about the house somewhere. Whether they still work, who knows, but I reckon it’s time to get selling if they do. I could do with another £100 or so in my back pocket.

I guess Africa is running out of resources to rape.

Sorry to end it on that note.. Corporations piss me off.

Gizmodo
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I agree with your closing statement. However, I think it is not a case of the African nations running out of mineral wealth, as much as it is a case of the situation in the regions in question becoming untenable, with the increased violence in the region, as Kenya sends its men to battle the Somali terrorist threat. Whole border regions require increased defenses, meaning that more man power is being bought up from other sectors, including the removal from the earth of mineral deposits.

All of that said, I wonder how much my ancient Nokia 3210 is worth these days?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I was just thinking that!
Got that old brick lying in my cupboard.
Good times.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Then maybe I should stop using them for target practice and throwing them out of moving vehicles.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Then maybe I should stop using them for target practice and throwing them out of moving vehicles.

One good lob at someone's head with one of the old bricks and they're gonna hurt in the morning!
Or die..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Ive had every iteration of the Iphone thats come out.

How do I do that? by selling the previous one that I have jail broken and unlocked on Ebay or craigslist.

Never fails, I have gotten anywhere from 400, down the least which was 200.

Huge saving, tend to avg half off or more on the new one by doing this.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I was just thinking that!
Got that old brick lying in my cupboard.
Good times.

I still use my old brick. Its just waist full to get a new phone when you have a perfectly good one.
Why do i need to be connected to the internet 24/7?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Don't be fooled ... the data still stored on those fones is PRICELESS to them!

It is most likely a scam to data mine those old fones!

BE CAREFULL OK!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Why have smartphones driven up prices on older models btw?

Is it simply demand for non-smartphones have gone up since not everyone wants to be price gouged on internet access and other useless features.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I recently sold my apple tv for more than I paid for it brand new, I was very surprised!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats
Why have smartphones driven up prices on older models btw?

Is it simply demand for non-smartphones have gone up since not everyone wants to be price gouged on internet access and other useless features.

Smart phones cost more so the older model smart phones cost more. The old non-smart phones sill cost the same or less.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Don't be fooled ... the data still stored on those fones is PRICELESS to them!

It is most likely a scam to data mine those old fones!

BE CAREFULL OK!

Having worked at a place that recycled phones,no it's not. Maybe some government agency somewhere steals shipments of used phones or something, but these companies simply buy your phone for resale valve or the value of gold, platinum, etc.

When I was working at said company, newer phones that were still "hot" pieces on the market would be wiped clean, if there were small things broken they would be fixed.

All other phones were taken apart. There is a bunch of gold (relatively speaking) on the board and other parts. Look up the value of scrap phone circuit boards online, as well as scrap computer ram, processors, etc. That stuff goes for a LOT of money. Hint: the older processors (386, 486, etc) have a ton more gold than newer processors. Older ram, to a certain extent, does as well. There is also platinum and palladium to be found.

If more people knew how much such electronics were worth you can be sure they wouldn't be throwing them in the trash or letting them rot in a drawer somewhere.

new topics

top topics

join