It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free education? Parents charged over unpaid school fees.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hey ATS!

So here is a story that makes me angry, sad and appalled. As the title suggests parents are being charged for unpaid school fees.

THOUSANDS of South Australian parents have been prosecuted for failing to pay public school fees this year. They include 271 parents who have had warrants issued for their arrest for failing to turn up in court - more than five times the number issued two years ago at the height of the financial crisis.

SA Primary Principals Association president Steve Portlock says

"There are some parents who believe schooling should be free and won't pay fees on a philosophic basis, while others simply can't afford to."

"This is a concern, because less fees means less money to spend on students," he said.

The fee's for primary school average between $250-$400. That would not get a student much for an entire year.

I was always under the impression that education was supposed to be free, and apparantly the UN agrees

Article 26. (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages

Now accroding to (and I'll regret this) wikipedia

Government (or state) schools are run by the respective state government. They offer free education; however, many schools ask parents to pay a voluntary contribution fee.

That, says voluntary.

So money is the big issue right? Well here is something interesting to consider.

The Australian Government is introducing a new, upfront cash payment in June of this year, to help families with the costs of sending their kids to school. Families can use the bonus to pay for school expenses such as uniforms, books, school excursions, stationary and other things like music lessons and sports registration fees.

From 20 to 29 June 2012, families receiving fortnightly Family Tax Benefit Part A payments will automatically receive the bonus straight into their bank account: $409 for each child in primary school; and $818 for each child in secondary study.

Source

So logic would assume that if the government is able to give families the money they need, why not just make it free to begin with? Let me know your thoughts and opinions fellow travellers!

Original news story

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Not a free school!
Obviously, because thats the communists/devils way! Others shouldn't have to pay for your child! You or better the child itself should carry all of the financial burden!

No, really: There is no school-fee up to university, and even there it is not mandatory in every federal state. We tend to think that education should be free, at least the more basic skills.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Wait a second... Now i know here in the us, not going to school is a crime called truancy (unless your parents file special paperwork with the county "independant school district" certifying that you are homeschooled...and theres essentially no oversight on this...until the kid is 16 upon which the homeschooling literally has no oversight....

So its a crime to not go to school in the us. Is it in au? Then how can they charge?

Funny thing too i dropped out of school when i was 13 and i taught myself everything i was interested in. learned more than kids who went to school.... :p

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Here in Queensland if your child misses 3 days in a row from school you must supply a doctors certificate to prove it, I think if it happens 3 times in a row they send the police.

And yeah school fees suck, they don't give a rats about the kids its all about $$

Years ago in Ireland they used to have what they called hedge schools, because the English didnt want the children educated by the "evil Irish ways", so the elders started teaching kids outside beside the hedges

Maybe we should learn by them and maybe that's what we should be doing now.

love and harmony
whateva

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't find it unreasonable that they were prosecuted for school fees. Education is free...those who work tirelessly to bring it to us, not so much. Remember, these people are HIRED in order to use their certified skills to mold our children into respectable members of the workforce. These teachers paid in sweat and cash, laboring through years of college and training, so that they would be able to cultivate the highest level of intelligence in children. And in a world where everything costs money, you expect them to provide this service 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 odd weeks a year...for free?

Children could simply buy their books and study the material themselves. Teachers assist them in understanding the material, and can even go so far as to guide them in the right direction once their diploma is in hand. The least we can do is make sure their wages are made and their teaching tools are still adequate. Would you want a teacher in charge of your child for absolutely nothing in return? There's very little incentive to get the job done right, in that case.

If the court system can prosecute for unpaid fines, on behalf of the officials operating to maintain justice and order, I think the schools can prosecute in order to keep their teachers employed and effective. Remember, we're not paying for the education itself. We're paying the teachers to make the education easier and more effective. If you don't want to pay, homeschool your child. It's that simple.
edit on 2-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

um... aren't teachers paid by the state and not the school?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
How is public education paid for in Australia? In the US our public schools are funded in part by property taxes therefore everyone pays for the schools.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Does Queensland pull money out of thin air?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Yeah similar its still tax $$, they figure it all out in the federal and state budgets.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Your carbon tax will help pay for it

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Carbon tax? I knew we had a tax for breathing (pfft!) but nothing about carbon...what is it, a monthly fee for carbon-based pollution? Ha!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A fee is a tax by any other name! Here in the USA GW Bush and His Republican Congress implemented an insurance premium for Medicare part D a program where the government paid 100percent of the costs!

many people don't even realize this is a hidden tax!

I feel bad for Australia and New Zealand because the last few years the corporate oligarchy has done to you what they have done to the USA... a coup from the inside!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In South Africa, 6 months into the year and there are schools with no texts books for learning. The Government say that the children are the future yet they do not supply school books for the children. There is a warehouse at the same time shredding old and new text and writing books at the same time as the Education Department is taken to court for non delivery of books.

It seems that the ANC/Government would rather erase the history of the white race and destroy everything that was build during the apartheid years rather then use the structures already in place to educate the children.

Mandela is around the corner and they are having a Book Drive to try and collect books for the masses.

Schooling is not free but a promise of free schooling will bring you votes.

The schools system is a failure from 1994 and more uneducated people are being pushed through the ranks.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It isn't free if other people are forced to pay for it.

No need for outrage here, parents should be responsible for paying for their kids education.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

Then it shouldn't be mandatory to send them. and besides they will make the tax payers pay the same or more, so why not give a chunk of it to the education department.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I never pay any fees, they are about 25 per child or more, because it is supposed to be free and its illegal the system we live in. And those who cop out and support this system are criminals to me.

I have a fee that was sent to me, that is being shelfed as we speak, unpaid all year and will remain unpaid.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toddlez
Hey ATS!

So here is a story that makes me angry, sad and appalled. As the title suggests parents are being charged for unpaid school fees.

Original news story

The "news story" trolled you... Sorry they did that to you, but they did. If you look at the source you gave at the very end:

Association of Independent Schools of SA chief executive Garry Le Duff said unpaid school fees were not a major problem across the sector.

They added that part to make it seem like something was said that wasn't, but forgot to take out identifying information.

When you google "Association of Independent Schools of SA", you find out the REAL story. It's not a public school, as stated by the article that lied to you, not at all.

It's a "non-government school', not a "public school" that is collecting these fees. They intentionally twisted the story to get people riled up.

www.ais.sa.edu.au...

This is what they CLAIM on their website about these "non-government schools"...the kind that are actually in question in the article:

On average, Australian governments (State and Commonwealth) spend around $10,756 a year per SA government school student compared to $5,786 per SA non-government school student. That means it costs taxpayers less to educate an SA student in an Independent school than to educate an SA student in a Government school. Independent school parents are a major source of funding for Independent schools. Parents (and the wider school community) contribute, on average, approximately 50% of their SA Independent school's operating income. In some schools this contribution is substantially higher. In Government schools, State Governments are the major source of funding, with approximately 94% of SA State Government funding for school education allocated to South Australian Government schools

So basically, the article lied about it being a "public school", most likely because they didn't do their research, or possibly because they wanted to skew it. The schools they are speaking of are partially funded by the government and partially funded by tuition. The parents in question don't want to pay the tuition and think the government should cover their "semi-private schools" the same as they do the "public schools".

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Wait a second... Now i know here in the us, not going to school is a crime called truancy (unless your parents file special paperwork with the county "independant school district" certifying that you are homeschooled...and theres essentially no oversight on this...until the kid is 16 upon which the homeschooling literally has no oversight....

So its a crime to not go to school in the us. Is it in au? Then how can they charge?

Funny thing too i dropped out of school when i was 13 and i taught myself everything i was interested in. learned more than kids who went to school.... :p

But if you hadn't been taught to read and write in school, you wouldn't have been able to teach yourself anything....

.... which fortune 500 company are you the CEO of?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I also wonder what the fees were for. Were they for average, everyday "school stuff" or were they for things like sports uniforms, extra-curricular activities, clubs, trips.... I don't think the whole story is being told by the article.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
no such thing as free anything from the gov't

taxes pay for it

new topics

top topics

join