It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS - Occupy Philly on 4th of July

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Where are you getting your information? Granted the National park Service will prevent any campouts directly on the Mall. The intent to gather around it is clear. They are instead camping at the Quaker House because they lack the guts to camp on the mall. Too Funny!! Gutless!!

From June 30th to July 4th, the Occupy movement will convene the Occupy National Gathering in the vicinity of Philadelphia’s Independence Mall for a week of direct actions, movement building and the creation of a vision for a democratic future. The National Gathering will kick off with a massive march with Healthcare-Now! in solidarity with their fight for the right to health. On July 5th we will conclude by joining Guitarmy for a 99 mile march from Philadelphia to Wall Street in Lower Manhattan.

Straight from the source!!!!!

www.occupynationalgathering.com...#!/what-is-national-gathering/

Even more if you still can't understand it. NOte the mention of the mall AGAIN

All activities will be on Independence Mall (5th and Market) and surrounding parks unless otherwise noted.
9am – Set-up – Independence Mall and surrounding location
10am – 1pm – Occupy Cafe, Friends Center, 15th & Cherry
11am – 3pm – Occupy Caravans arrive
11am – 1:30pm – Speakers
1:45pm – 3pm – Open Space, Workshops, and Speaker Follow-up Sessions
3pm – NatGat Welcome – Main Stage
3:30pm – “Know Your Rights” training – Main Stage

www.occupynationalgathering.com...#!/schedule/
edit on 2-7-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by GareyGaia

Nope, reality. What big thing has OWS done/changed?

Public awareness of the massive economic divide in America.

You're here on a forum talking about OWS (Occupy is a GLOBAL MOVEMENT, with protests happening all over the world. The world is a hell of a lot bigger than the USA, I wish more Americans would realize that).
You would not be talking about this if Occupy had done "next to nothing".

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Same as you, I just have reading comprehension.

All they are doing on the 4th, is having an open discussion.

By the way, you posted the schedule for June 30th not July 4th.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm sorry but convenience as excuse to end protesting is garbage. I also agree that OWS is probably misguided, but are people really expecting results from protesting the next day. Some protest rage for YEARS before having any affect at all on public policy. Anyone who wants to stop protesting in this nation is wrong, period. Without it all that is left is violent revolution, and trust me there are those out there that make pretty good arguments for that point. So do you want your family pushing through crowded, pseudo-hippy, filled streets, or dodging bullets. You decide.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by jibeho

Same as you, I just have reading comprehension.

All they are doing on the 4th, is having an open discussion.

By the way, you posted the schedule for June 30th not July 4th.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

Thank You! I figured you were smart enough to follow the link. Thanks for not letting me down.
It still states that they will have a final march on July 4th. Location TBD. Is the "visioning exercise" what you call an open discussion? Visioning exercise??
There are events listed for "the mall in all days prior to the 4th including a "circus" on the 3rd. What is that??

No comment on the rejection of this event from the big wigs in the NY General Assembly? What is the purpose of this event again?? You know I can't read good ha ha.

Your welcome!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I definitely wouldn't go out. You might catch a little second-hand democracy.

I hear it all the freaking time....it is such an inconvenience. Really? I guess the only convenient thing America cares about is a burger joint on every corner and getting robbed by the banks.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
I definitely wouldn't go out. You might catch a little second-hand democracy.

I hear it all the freaking time....it is such an inconvenience. Really? I guess the only convenient thing America cares about is a burger joint on every corner and getting robbed by the banks.

I heard second hand democracy can be addictive too... LOL

Maybe we should make this whole Occupy Event go viral.. You know make an event on a popular social network and invite a thousand of your closes friends kinda things...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I figured you were smart enough to follow the link.

I had already posted that link before you entered the thread, are you by chance, drive-by posting?

It still states that they will have a final march on July 4th.

Also stated they will not be interfering with celebrations.

No comment on the rejection of this event from the big wigs in the NY General Assembly?

The NPR article is incorrect.

The 99% Declaration is holding a National Convention starting today. This is an event with supposedly a 878 delegates for the purpose of drafting a list of grievances. This event is not endorsed by OWS or NYCGA.

“We’re kind of like an offshoot of the Occupy movement,” said Robert Manning, 99D member and convention co-organizer. “We’re not representing ourselves as the Occupy movement.”

The Daily Pennsylvanian

The National Occupy Gathering from June 30-July 5 is endorsed by OWS and NYCGA.

Endorsements or lack of endorsements aren't really a big deal though, most of the time it is just stated for clarity, of course that's where reading comprehension comes in.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by detachedindividual
the idiot public are too comfortable and don't want to be "inconvenienced" by a protest.

A protest in DC makes sense. A protest in Philly on the 4th does not.
It most definately IS an inconvenience TO ME & MY FAMILY having them in Philly on the 4th.
If having them there did any good .. I'd be for it. But it doesn't do any good. DC would do good.
BTW ... Seeing the obvious about this doesn't make me part of any 'idiot public' ...

Maybe what they're trying to point out though, Flyers, is the reality that what you are celebrating is a lie; at least at this point in time. You have a President who apparently convenes with his staff each Tuesday, in order to discuss who he is going to remotely assassinate that week.

Is that what the men who signed the Constitution in Philadelphia had in mind, do you think?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Who's in charge here??
Talk amongst yourselves..

Nobody being in charge is what happens, when you have a democratic movement. Of course, I will forgive you for your inability to recognise freedom when you see it. You most likely haven't been exposed to it, within your lifetime.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In city resident here and I say GOOD FOR THEM! I posted pics of the last Occupy in Philly that took place in city hall. My own affiliations are not necessarily ones that would cause me to automatically throw my hat in and take up residence with the occupiers but I am happy to see people getting out and doing things, establishing dialogue and getting people to question the status quo. How many people are going to be stuffing their faces and gawking at fireworks that day without really questioning why this is even possible?

@Flyers fan....I dont know about small businesses but if you are having Cheesesteaks at the Bourse chances are that restaurant is doing pretty well. The rent in a place like that would be astronomical. I bet Pats, Ginos and a few other tourist traps started by hard working fellows from the city are looking forward to the influx of people....be they from the Occupy movement or that huge music festival Jay Z has going on. This is the cradle of Liberty...the city of supposed brotherly love. That love should extend beyond those that are only doing things you agree with. Last time Occupy was here the city didnt grind to a halt...and the snobby tourists were still able to enjoy their metropolitan dining experiences....though how a Cheesesteak from anywhere down there could be considered tasty boggles my mind, lol.

Born and Raised here and I say Welcome friends! Watch out for those tricky piggies, sour faced tourists, clueless residents and Eunuch public officials..... and most importantly

Illegitimi non carborundum

edit on 2-7-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus
Born and Raised here and I say Welcome friends! Watch out for those tricky piggies, sour faced tourists, clueless residents and Eunuch public officials..... and most importantly

Illegitimi non carborundum

edit on 2-7-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

Offtopic, but I approve of your avatar, irsuccubus.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So the career protesters are at it again?

Protest on the sidewalks, and try not to interfere with people that actually have real life obligations to attend to.

And try to sh!t in a toilet while you're at it.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

You do realize that a smaller bank offering a much better interest rates usually means that they (smaller bank) is taking on more risk. Just saying that normally is the case when a financial institution offers much higher rates that the marketplace. It's not like the smaller bank is getting the money at a lower rate...

BTW, First Niagara just sold off 3.1 Billion dollars worth of Mortgaged Backed Securities they had. Remember, those things that caused a lot of this mess in the first place. I don't think they are much better than any of the other banks.....just sayin.

My point still stands, politically, the Occupy movement hasn't managed to make dent in business as usual in Washington.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
So the career protesters are at it again?

Protest on the sidewalks, and try not to interfere with people that actually have real life obligations to attend to.

And try to sh!t in a toilet while you're at it.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

The irony is, that those who attempt to characterise Occupy exclusively as a contemptible stereotype, do not realise how much they themselves become one, in the process.

The single most vile characteristic of the Right, has always been the fact that even while they are willing accomplices to their own slow physical, mental, and spiritual death, they still insist on looking down on anyone else who refuses to get with the psychopathic program.

There's not crapping in a toilet...and then there's not having a unique, legitimate reason to exist.

I know which of those two I consider more important.
edit on 2-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Regardless of where OWS gathers it is as much an expression of freedom as the old guys at the Tea Party Movement. Gather in LA, DC, Philly or downtown Albuquerque New Mexico and show the constipated right wing that there is still a youth movement with a thirst for freedom from corporate fascism and will not be shouted down, insulted down or anyway denied our birthright our forefathers fought and died for.

Flyers Fan, I was going to stay home and avoid the crowds. Now thanks to you, I'm going to join my brothers and sisters of OWS and sing a song of freedom. Thanks for the impetus to get off my lazy butt.
edit on 2-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Freedom?? From what? I can't get a straight answer from anyone from within the movement. If they truly wanted freedom they would take the sit in to DC and KEEP it in DC. They don't have the fortitude to do it since some of these folks are the same one who want "free" healthcare compliments of a Govt. with its thumb on the nation.

How is that for freedom??

They'd rather dump coal at the doors of Bank of America or TP and vandalize the house of a bank executive.....

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Part of the Occupy movement are what we call "Reverse Boycotts", where we spread a list of OWS friendly small businesses and attempt to push their balance sheets into the black.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

And you don't seem to understand that the banksters and banking cartels are the ones that caused the financial collapse, not the government...even though more government banking regulation would have stopped it...but you're against more regulation are you?
edit on 7/2/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by zroth
The Constitution was written in Philadelphia State House The Constitution of the United States of America is signed by 38 of 41 delegates present at the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia. People don't know their history and that is why we are f$%^ed

I minored in History in college.
History is irrelevant to this discussion. What is going on NOW is what is important. Protesting in a place that history happened 250 years ago .. that doesn't change things NOW. NOW laws are made in DC. NOW things are happening in DC that change the course of America.

edit on 7/2/2012 by FlyersFan because: typo

This is a totally ignorant statement. America was stolen because the environment in England was not affording people a good life. Here we are again.

History is never irrelevant. Laws are bought in NY and yes, stamped in DC. The reality is you go back to your roots to recharge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join