It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help overclocking my pc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I have just installed a game which is LA NOIRE and it badly lags this is the first game i have played that my PC has struggled with it can play MW3 Alan wake and need for speed world all on full settings with out any lag.

here are my PC specifications if it might help .

processor amd athlon ii x2 250 3ghz

CPU FAN Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler

Ram 8GB

Graphics zotac GTS 250 Eco edition

and my motherboard is a Bios A880GU3 Motherboard Socket AMD 880 AM3 DDR3 Memory

I pretty much built this comp to specifications posted on a overclocking forum to enable me to boost the power of the CPU and graphics when ever i needed at the lowest cost possible,except i don't have a clue how to over clock and the forum i built my PC from has vanished.

So can some one please tell my how to overclock my CPU and Graphics card ?

edit on 2-7-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: typo

edit on 2-7-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

First its LA Noir... ive had the same problem with it, and my computer is a beast.

next we are going to need the MOBO model as that what matters.

Its going to be the settings in your bios.

I got an I5 intel oc to 3.4, 8gig ddr3, Nvida gtx560 1gig x2.

I didn't even bother with LA noir, samething happened with GTA4, its bad programing on rockstars part, not your pc.
edit on 2-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Oh see you added it,

okay heres the link

Manufacturer

in the manual probably under Bios settings.

be sure you look at toms hardware or something for the proper OC settings for your chip, dont risk burning it out.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Rather than chancing frying your comp, have you looked at any online gaming communities to see what their workarounds were?
Many give hints at superficial settings that greatly increase gameplay enjoyment.
Shading, vsync, triple buffering, setting a cpu dual core priority or exclude one or the other, many possibilities are out there, you just gotta find the particular geek that took the time to tweak on all of the settings.

Good luck though, I hate buying a game and finding out my perfectly modern computer cannot play it...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Go to the forums and check to see if there is a way to set the processor affinity. You need to make sure the game is utilizing all of the cores on the CPU. In this day and age overclocking is nothing more than an enthusiast hobby and is a complete waste of time and money. Your hardware should be able to handle any game that is currently on the market. I would look at your game configurations first.

EDIT - First, try disabling any triple buffering and vertical sync.
edit on 2-7-2012 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
first thing, here is not the best place for advice on oc'ing. Go to Overclockers.com because here you're asking various people and can get limited results. On those forums you can get specific replies to a specific mobo/cpu.

I modded my cpu once from advice from there, using speaker wire (I kid you not) to mod the bsel and was able to hit 3ghz on a 1.6ghz chip.

You're really playing with your hardware in ways it's not meant to be played with doing things like that.

one piece of advice I will give you is .. Increment slowly. Test thoroughly. If the board and chip are meant to be stressed a little, you have room to move. Always check temps. You will need to increase voltage to the chip if you want to see significant improvement, and that maks it hotter. Your front side bus can affect your video card and your ram, so you need to make sure they are ok with what you're doing.

I remember the days when a 486 had a jumper on board... to change it from 25mhz to 50mhz.. lol.. how easy was it back then,

If you have the cash to replace something, you can be safe. You won't kill anything in all likelyhood, but you just need to be aware of what you should expect.

Overclockers will know much much more about it, especially if it's a board made to be pushed. I'm still using my q6600 chip at 2.9ghz as it fritzes at 3ghz, and I'm only getting about 20% increase in improvement, these chips are made to burn hot too. my mobo is the limitation. SATA is too fickle when your fsp is pumping it out, and can dazzle them to not work.

your ram timings need to be taken into consideration too, which can only be determined by you with the default timings and make etc etc, there is a lot to consider before you leap ahead.

having said that, you can do small jumps and not have to worry about any of that.

But if your game is not happy with 8gb ram and a 3ghz chip.. try game settings first. sometimes you don't even notice the flowery things that take up so much resources if they're turned off.. no game on my pc runs at a loss. I tweak the game and never notice a lack of detail...

edit on 2-7-2012 by mainidh because: apologies for the typos.. lol it's cold!!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

i have a CPU temp program and it never goes over 22 degrees and when i first built my comp i did not attach the CPU FAN properly and it fell off and my comp kept shutting down when it reached 75 degrees so i know it can handle some heat.that said i am a total noob when it comes to PCS and i am lucky my computer isn't a total smoking wreck by now and sorry for the bad spelling i have been up all night drinking and it is now 7.51AM in the U.K but i really really Want to play this game without the annoying lag.
edit on 2-7-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Hmmm, if you've cooked your CPU before that doesn't mean it's happy with it - you may have actually made it less functional. Heat migration happens over time at lower temps, so if you were running it at over 75c and at a length of time you might find it not as good as it was.

You can't run a cpu without a fan without actually damaging it.. doesn't mean it's all good to go and you're ok with it being hot..

yikes, they hit 100c in no time. that's cook your face off heat. They're meant to be under 40c idle or under 30c idle at best..

You sure it's running ok as it is?

new topics

top topics

join